What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Exploration of the Big O...Bodhi's Ae77 Cali O X's

billycw

Veteran
In the mid 90's a delicious mouth watering lip smacking girl crossed my path. She reeked of pure orange/tangerines spot on, somewhat sweet but with a bit of that tart acidic tone. While she wasn't a knock out end your day strain, she was far and away the most memorable tasting smokes I have ever had.

In searching for a suitable line to start from I was stoked to see Bodhi working with the Aeric77 Cali O cut. Being from the cannabisworld era I remember this being the go to cali o cut on the boards. Researching as I do I've found 2 stories of where Aeric77 got these beans

1st story-A selection of Flying Dutchman- Royal Orange which is California Orange X "the Pure"(orig sk#1)

2nd story which I found on a old site supposedly quoting AE from Overgrow- "My Cali Orange has a kind of sugary sweet taste and if you get too piggy on the inhale it'll blow your lungs up like balloons... everyone sits there smacking and licking their lips after a hit... kind of funny to watch. SCW, mine came as a present from a local grower who came here from California in the early 80's, he's been growing it since late 70's... all I know is that it matches all seedbank descriptions and is the most uniform growing plant I have ever seen... this guy spends half a year growing one crop in the woods and the rest of the year in the Carribbean laid back... I'm a newbie to this local group and the regulars don't question him so I don't either, all I know is I've yet to find any better buzz for me. Aeric77"

Regardless of origin, she seems to be the best representation of the old original Cali O around today.

Up for the adventure we have 3 crosses from Bodhi- Blood Orange(ae77 cali o x Appalachia), Satsuma(ae77 cali o x Snow Lotus) and ae77 cali o x Apollo 11
picture.php

Just dropped the Satsuma and Apollo 11 in water and will be running all of both and Blood Orange has a month head start, so will start with her. Have had a hell of a time with BO planted at the same time as some Snow Wookie and Space Cakes and only managed a couple to even crack with tails so will be limited on these.

The first example I do have of BO seems to fit the description of the shiny dark leaves of cali o. Having run through some Appalachia x's haven't witnessed this expression so guessing she leans momma.
picture.php

picture.php

Second example of BO is this little deficient one that took a little over a week to even pop above soil and has tried to die on me countless times in its short life :) Starting to bounce back now but In the spirit of showing everything
picture.php

Bookmarked for now with much more to come. If you have anything you would like to know or have something to add feel free.

Last edited:

billycw

Veteran
Makes total sense @Cannavore, an email had me all confused I'll try to go back and edit original post. Thanks for the correction

G

Before OG shut down there was a seed company that sold a selfed kush and a selfed California Orange. If I remember they were called the CCC, Cannabis Collection Company or something similar. I ran their Cali Orange a few times and lost it sadly. Had the double serrations like I'm seeing in your BO.
I haven't paid attention to Bodhi's gear due to the availability and learning curve, but maybe I should take a closer look. The CO x Apollo 11 sounds very nolstagic. Does it have a proper name? Is it something I could find with a bit of looking?
I'm gonna love this thread.
Thanks for reminding me about CO

Last edited:

billycw

Veteran
Welcome aboard Outcold, thanks for the double serrations tip have read Cali o momma does that. Always good hearing from people that were around back in the golden days of forums, so much info lost.

I remember a couple companies release some of the cali o x apollo 11 crosses to C-Bay back in the day but think it was super limited at the time and never got a chance to grab them. If memory serves me correct Spice Bros did one they called Orange Apollo but cant remember if they used 11 or 13. Rez I think started one too with the same name but back crossed to one or the other, again they eluded me at the time.

Don't think Bodhi's officially released any a11G crosses that I've seen yet but have noticed a couple tests starting with a11g male. He also has a straight Apollo 11 genius line out thats I believe at F3 that you can grab now. Mota also has a Apollo 13 line thats been catching my eye for a bit, might have to grab that before I miss the boat.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
this will be great. i was buying Cali O a while ago, back in 2000, and i can still remember the taste/smell of straight up oranges. There was also an "orange kush" going around back then, and those were the two most orangey strains i have ever smoked.

billycw

Veteran
Wheredaweedat welcome aboard, eyed her for a couple drops as well.

Shcrews - Have heard that orange kush discussed but never really could pin down what she was and she never crossed my path. One could wish though, damn list keeps growin. Always heard she was the stronger smoke, potency wise. Was already lurking your outdoor thread, welcome aboard.

I like to plant half pack at a time to word off f'up or disaster. So soaked 6 satsuma's and 5 cali o x a11g, within 24 hours all tails for satsuma and within 36 same with a11g x . Will soak the next half of pack in couple days.

Here is the first Satsuma baby up.
picture.php

A little about the setup these babies will be running through. Veg is hand watered under 400mh and some fluorescent's for clone and infants. Flower room is 3k air cooled hoods (soon to be 4k after new mini split install) with 2 4x8 tables underneath running drip. Usually run 4 per light but will squeeze a couple more for tests accounting for males(will be looking for a nice orange smelling male for future use too)

I use a roughly 50/50 mix coco/perlite feeding botanicare pure blend pro veg/bloom, liquid karma. Have been adding Great white during transplants and testing Microbe Life Photosynthesis Plus and snow storm ultra with current run.

Well enough talk some shots of the current flower room with Blueberry Hill and Sunshine Daydream girls filling out the net at about day 30 in flower.
picture.php

BB Hill at 30 days
picture.php

SSDD at 30 days
picture.php

Wheredaweedat welcome aboard, eyed her for a couple drops as well.

Shcrews - Have heard that orange kush discussed but never really could pin down what she was and she never crossed my path. One could wish though, damn list keeps growin. Always heard she was the stronger smoke, potency wise. Was already lurking your outdoor thread, welcome aboard.

I like to plant half pack at a time to word off f'up or disaster. So soaked 6 satsuma's and 5 cali o x a11g, within 24 hours all tails for satsuma and within 36 same with a11g x . Will soak the next half of pack in couple days.

Here is the first Satsuma baby up.
View Image

A little about the setup these babies will be running through. Veg is hand watered under 400mh and some fluorescent's for clone and infants. Flower room is 3k air cooled hoods (soon to be 4k after new mini split install) with 2 4x8 tables underneath running drip. Usually run 4 per light but will squeeze a couple more for tests accounting for males(will be looking for a nice orange smelling male for future use too)

I use a roughly 50/50 mix coco/perlite feeding botanicare pure blend pro veg/bloom, liquid karma. Have been adding Great white during transplants and testing Microbe Life Photosynthesis Plus and snow storm ultra with current run.

Well enough talk some shots of the current flower room with Blueberry Hill and Sunshine Daydream girls filling out the net at about day 30 in flower.
View Image
BB Hill at 30 days
View Image
SSDD at 30 days
View Image

Those look more like 45 or 50 days of flower. Looking good though.

easternOG

That's how my Blueberry Hill looked at day 50 very very nice smoke extremely hefty girl smell is pine and fuel all the way from week 5 Til chop slim to no blueberry nose at all!! Things are looking superb though!! Def can't wait to see what you do with that cali o x A11g pheno!! Those will be epic! Blessings sent to you and your garden my friend!!
ONELOVE

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Drue Bleam thinks the A11genius x Cali-O will be the nicest , but personally i am leaning toward the satsuma

that Blueberry Hill looks fire. can't wait to see the Cali-O buds though. this might be my favorite thread right now.

billycw

Veteran
Bmac1 hope you enjoy the show.

wheredaweedat & Easternog, good catch was most likely around 45. The older I get the more I have to take notes, why doc's are good for me. Have 3 perpetual tables atm about 2 weeks apart and took random garden pics. My Bluehill keeper usually starts to change her dress color at about 40-45, was guessing of that with pictures mixed up :) Here she is today on 2 different tables about 1-2 weeks apart. Shes about 55-58days in first one, next about 1-2 behind, I take her 60-65.
picture.php

picture.php

Back to the Cali o babies, all 6 satsuma above soil and 4 a11g x. Soaking the rest of the packs tonight. Pictured below Satsuma.
picture.php

billycw

Veteran
While researching the original Cali O origins, I stumbled upon something interesting I hadn't read before. I had always read cali o was a strain dating back to the 70's in Norcal but not much in the way of actual details until the '85 sacred seeds/cultivators choice catalog calling it a selfed f2 line named just "orange".
picture.php

Well I just stumbled upon this book by someone named Jerry Beisler called "The Bandit of Kabul" about 60's 70's Afghanistan-to-Amsterdam hash-smuggling. I just ordered this book from amazon so can't Quote it yet but in it this guy claims to have breed California Orange in 1973 in Norcal? Have also seen some mention of some early afgan and indica lines in cali coming from him, but no real mention of what those lines were.
picture.php

So if in '85 its released as f2's from a population of f1 seeds, are there any of the '85 f1 population or older still floating around? And I am curious if all modern day orange lines come from that '85 f2 release or did older lines survive in Cali?

I guess not knowing Aeric's exact line some of my question is mute but I am still interested if any other orange lines or other early cali o lines are floating?

[/URL]

Well I just stumbled upon this book by someone named Jerry Beisler called "The Bandit of Kabul" about 60's 70's Afghanistan-to-Amsterdam hash-smuggling. I just ordered this book from amazon so can't Quote it yet but in it this guy claims to have breed California Orange in 1973 in Norcal? Have also seen some mention of some early afgan and indica lines in cali coming from him, but no real mention of what those lines were.
View Image

So if in '85 its released as f2's from a population of f1 seeds, are there any of the '85 f1 population or older still floating around? And I am curious if all modern day orange lines come from that '85 f2 release or did older lines survive in Cali?

I guess not knowing Aeric's exact line some of my question is mute but I am still interested if any other orange lines or other early cali o lines are floating?

Great post. Some interesting history, and I love history. Thanks man and I'm keeping my eye on those seedlings of yours. Cheers.:tiphat:

billycw

Veteran
wheredaweedat- thanks man, I love history and as such is one of my favorite reading choices. Being my main interest, the history of cannabis and the counterculture movement and much before that is just starting to shape up in book form as people write down their stories and it fascinates me.

Shcrews- Thanks, I'm leaning my excitement towards the A11g x's but really i'm after those momma leaners. Have been doing some digging and you mentioned a strain I had always heard of but never crossed paths with the "Orange Kush" of old.
Seems a couple recent crosses taking the same name but the original seems to be made by "Kailua Kid" heres a quote from another forum giving credit "Orange Kush cut was developed by Kailua Kid from Sierra Seeds. This cut was passed to me before KK's passing."
Although KK started a thread can't track down what orange he used in the cross, heres his original thread on her https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=48915

Sam Skunkman also just posted a tidbit about Cali O origins in the Road Kill Skunk thread here on Icmag, heres the relivent quote about Cali O
"Calif Orange seeds I got from a grower friend who gave it to me to run with. A few other I got from others like I always said." Sam_Skunkman

So given this Jerry's claim looks at least promising, can't wait for the new read to arrive.

There is also a couple other Orange cuts I have been curious about if anyone knows how they relate to or stack up to Cali O, Mandarin, Florida orange skunk(used by Swamp boys), Orange velvet(used in tga agent orange)... If anyone has pics of Cali O growing would love to see them too.

Little update on this run, second half of packs all popped tails and in plugs. The second Blood Orange has bounced back and looking good. Has a different look then sibbling, little lighter green, less of a shine and slightly thinner fingers. Here is a pic
Blood Orange
picture.php

Satsuma
picture.php

Cali O x A11G
picture.php

Last edited:

billycw

Veteran
Interesting to note on the ,lets call it, Blood Orange #2. Lots of double serrations but have a couple triple serrations in the leaves.

I've looked through countless cali-o threads, all agree double serrations are a sign of aeric77 clone and many of her offspring will show this trait too. I just haven't seen a triple serration pop up on threads on cali-o.

This leads me to a couple questions, many of the other "Orange" lines don't show the double serration trait. I know a lot of the Tangerine lines aren't from the cali-o lines, like the CO tangerine cut for example, but many of the ones I thought were from cali-o don't like the examples of Orange kush and Orange crush i've been able to find online. While many X's from chimera and others with the documented Ae77 cut pass this trait.
So are many of these other lines made with the mysterious "Orange skunk" lines, which i've read about but never seen a picture of, which I'm guessing are from the post SK#1 addition?

Second question, where does the triple serration come in? After researching a bit, I am only really finding a couple examples of triple serrations all coming from heavy if not pure sativa lines. From everything I've read seems the accepted breakdown of Cali-o is "Thai x [Afghani x Acapulco Gold]" so is this triple serration a Thai expression?

The other lineage on Cali-o I've seen written is 75% mexican sativa and 25% hindu kush(or other early afgan), have read Acapulco Gold had double serration traits, so a Acapulco gold expression?

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

billycw

Veteran
Little more dug up history on Cali O. Just ordered another book called "The King of Nepal: Life Before the Drug Wars" after finding some interesting pictures about Cali O inside.

He references Jerry Beisler's seed company "Exotica Seeds" dating Pre1978 California. Also says something about Cali O being called "Orange Spice" originally but hard to decipher until the book arrives. Curious to hear more about Exotica seeds if anyone has any info.

Here are pictures from the book of vintage Exotica seeds T-shirts, although I'm skeptical on the 73 date from the orange spice shirt(found a 78 reference to this shirt elsewhere). Also a pic of I believe Jerry with cali o dated 73.

Exotica Seeds T-shirt 1980
picture.php

Orange Spice T-shirt date?
picture.php

"Arizona David" cali o 1973?
picture.php

Last edited:

billycw

Veteran
Update time. First up Cali O x A11g, 9 total half pack at 25 days half at 16 days.

All 9 doing good, nice structure that seems a little more open then the Satsuma. Seeing the jigsaw doubles on some.

Group shot then a couple singled out.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

billycw

Veteran
11 Satsuma, half pack 26 days half 16 days.

Nice fat dark leafs with some quick growth(a couple had relations with the lights).

Group shot then a couple single out

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php