What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My best cannabutter recipe - enjoy!

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
thats what i always thought, but i have been told by a number of people that it comes on faster/stronger when u have eaten - it doesnt seem correct to me, but thats what i have been told...
Try a few beers b4 eating and dont drive til tomorrow.:tiphat:
EDIT: eating buttered up food

hamstring

Veteran
I have a question for you.

I am a tincture guy. I decarb the weed and soak it in Everclear (190 proof) over a double boiler. The alcohol removes the TCH from the trim. Your left with a small amount of alcohol and THC concentrate. I love the fact after basically one sample try I now have a pretty exact does each time. Between 1-3ML for me depending on potency of the trim.

What I dont love is the shitty taste. Would using your water rinse technique first help with flavor?

I think it is necessary to cook the leaves for hours to soak it. I cook mostly fan-leaves and my experience is that the butter is stronger when I cook it for long time. I don't think that this is necessary for decarboxylation, but to soak the leaves to dissolve everything what is inside.

I never made scientific researches what time exactly is the best. I have no probs with cooking my stuff six or eight hours. I don't have to do anything, I just have to watch my pot if there is still water left. That is all. And concerning taste, someone wrote he doesn't like the taste of the long cooked leaves - my butter got no taste at all except butter taste.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I have a question for you.

I am a tincture guy. I decarb the weed and soak it in Everclear (190 proof) over a double boiler. The alcohol removes the TCH from the trim. Your left with a small amount of alcohol and THC concentrate. I love the fact after basically one sample try I now have a pretty exact does each time. Between 1-3ML for me depending on potency of the trim.

What I dont love is the shitty taste. Would using your water rinse technique first help with flavor?

It should. That was first part of his butter technique, soaking in cold water to leach out chlorophyl.

hamstring

Veteran
Yeah, that caught my attention too. I think its worth a try. The only problem I see is it might require adding more steps to the process. Im assuming you wold soak the weed before decarb.

I decarb in the oven on a cookie sheet. Soaking wet weed will take a much longer time to decarb. I guess I could let it air dry a night after soaking.

Now that I think about it. I use a spice grinder to rough grind before decarb. So I would have to first soak the weed, air dry it, grind it ,then decarb in the oven.

I am going to try it to see if there is a difference. I prefer the dose accuracy of tincture as compared to edibles.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I make my cannabutter in a crock pot on as much water as it will hold. Heating in the crock pot with a slight boil from the water will keep the mixture at 212*. I do not think decarbing is necessary because of the 6 hrs at 212*, but go ahead and do so if you think it needs to be done. That water which is separated from the butter is very nasty stuff this is because I skip the rinse step. 75 gr ABV (I assume 10%) with 5 sticks unsalted butter.

So after spending the night in the fridge, it is easy to lift the butter off the water. On the bottom of the butter cake is some stuff that is kinda nasty. I use a knife to scrape it off under running hot water. I wonder what that nasty stuff that shows up at the water/butter interface, and sticks to the butter is, and if it holds a lot of actives? The recipe uses 1/2 cup of butter with about a teaspoon of soy lechithin (cause they didn't have sunflower) AFTER I melt the butter and decarb (250*F@30min). Lechithin has to really be stirred into that butter.

This is quick, easy, and makes kick ass cookies, Yes, there is a taste. Not really nasty, but it IDs cannabutter in the cookies to an experienced muncher. I made some today, and it is chillin in the fridge.

Last edited:

White Beard

Isn't low boiling for long period of time with ghee/butter, essential for the binding of cannabinoids and extraction?

I’ve read the same in many places, but I live in the kitchen, and I rarely leave any recipe un-messed-with, so I plow my own road. All I can really do is share my thinking, and my opinion of my results.

I only hope that if I’m wrong in any of this, I get some real learning to correct it: I’ve never had enough quantity to go beyond my limited experiments...

Would using your water rinse technique first help with flavor?
IIR the most common recipes correctly, they involve cooking in water *and* butter/ghee, I was always under the impression that the water was there to remove the chlorophyll, etc. maybe I hound go back and read the whole thread again before commenting further

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I tried extracting in clarified butter for 30 mins, 2 hours, 4 hours and 8 hours. 30 mins was like 10% effects, and took long to feel. 2 hours was more powerful, while still taking some time to come. 4 hours was a lot more powerful and faster effect, while 8 hours was just a bit better. So I usually simmer for 4 to 6 hours.
I have also noticed that around the 3 hour mark the tint of the green colour of the vegetal matter changes a bit, it gets a bit milky. I think that's the time cells start to let out compounds, so basically before that you ar juat extracting the surface cristals, and then you get the good full effect that is inside leaf cells. Yes, buds and leaves have cannabinoids too, not just on the surface. And the effect is more complete, a broader range I could say.
Eating buds or just heating them for a bit will get you a bit of high, but basically that is wasted weed compared to a proper extraction that takes hours. And you don't need to decarboxylate before that, because it happens during extraction.
I personally always add water for multiple reasons. It helps regulate temperature, it cleans the dust/contaminants and clorophyl (basically everything that is hydrosoluble and not liposoluble) and it helps with taste and colour of final product.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I tried extracting in clarified butter for 30 mins, 2 hours, 4 hours and 8 hours. 30 mins was like 10% effects, and took long to feel. 2 hours was more powerful, while still taking some time to come. 4 hours was a lot more powerful and faster effect, while 8 hours was just a bit better. So I usually simmer for 4 to 6 hours.
I have also noticed that around the 3 hour mark the tint of the green colour of the vegetal matter changes a bit, it gets a bit milky. I think that's the time cells start to let out compounds, so basically before that you ar juat extracting the surface cristals, and then you get the good full effect that is inside leaf cells. Yes, buds and leaves have cannabinoids too, not just on the surface. And the effect is more complete, a broader range I could say.
Eating buds or just heating them for a bit will get you a bit of high, but basically that is wasted weed compared to a proper extraction that takes hours. And you don't need to decarboxylate before that, because it happens during extraction.

I personally always add water for multiple reasons. It helps regulate temperature, it cleans the dust/contaminants and clorophyl (basically everything that is hydrosoluble and not liposoluble) and it helps with taste and colour of final product.

Graywolf has a video on his site of a lecture which showed a graph of decarbing at 100*C (flower in a glass container). At that temp it took 4 hours to fully decarb. That is about how long I have the ABV soaking in the lightly boiling water/butter mix.

https://youtu.be/W27etHlJjf0?t=701

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
You run hot cannabutter through a rig like that rig to filter the green out?

I wonder if chlorophyl does dissolve into the water when making butter. The water gets brown, not green. A second water wash does not make the green butter less so, and the water stays clear.

My butter is pretty green, cause the ABV I make it from is still green. I avoid vaping the chlorophyl to make it turn brown - makes me cough.

Max Headroom

Veteran
this thread finally got me off my ass to try to do something with the vaporizer waste i've been throwing away all these years.

i took 150 g of volcano-poo and 500 g of butterfat, soaked the foul smelling stuff for 2+ days (essential! never knew about that) then cooked for 6 hrs (also never realized how important that is).
holy shit the first few rounds of waste-water smelled absolutely revolting... :puke:

i managed to recover 470 g of the fat and 7 g of it gives a nice strong high. :bigeye:
for me it basically amounts to a whole month's worth of free weed! :jump:

thanks to the OP for starting this thread! :kissgrin::yes::yes:

:jump:

thanks to the OP for starting this thread! :kissgrin::yes::yes:

You're welcome. :)

This is the reason for the strong effect of the cannabutter:
11-hydroxy-THC

interesting read:

After delta-9-THC has been swallowed, the body breaks down and metabolizes it, producing the metabolite 11-hydroxy-THC. The metabolite is generally considered much more potent than its precursor.
Oral administration rather than inhalation leads to more potent and longer-lasting effects on the brain and body. In fact, 11-OH-THC can produce a more intense psychoactive experience than the cannabinoid THC.

lush

Reviving the thread because I'm a beginner at infusions and still unclear about something :) Is the consensus here that either decarboxylation with heat or soaking in water is needed, i.e. doing both is unnecessary? Do they serve a similar function or not at all?

And also, most of you seem to use trim, what if small/lollypopped buds are used? Do they benefit from being ground up and soaked too? Should they be decarbed?

Thanks

Max Headroom

Veteran
i'm no pro, but i think the soaking in water is only necessary for stuff with bad taste?
i use volcano-poo and soaking the stuff in water for 3 days removes about 75% of the bad taste (it would be unusable otherwise)

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
i just made a batch of butter - i used 100grams of popcorn buds, 8oz of unsalted butter, water, put into elect crock pot for 6 1/2 hrs, drained it thru a strainer into hot water, stirred it up, into the fridge overnite , this morn drained the very brown water, added hot water, stirred it up, back into the fridge... i will prob do '2' more cleanings... then into a brownie mix... i normally use 40/50grams of popcorn, but wanted this batch to be a bit stronger...

lush

Anyone has any guesstimate how strong would the second infusion of the leaves be compared to the first?

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
i just made a batch of butter - i used 100grams of popcorn buds, 8oz of unsalted butter, water, put into elect crock pot for 6 1/2 hrs, drained it thru a strainer into hot water, stirred it up, into the fridge overnite , this morn drained the very brown water, added hot water, stirred it up, back into the fridge... i will prob do '2' more cleanings... then into a brownie mix... i normally use 40/50grams of popcorn, but wanted this batch to be a bit stronger...
i came out with 400grams of brownie.... my buddy who does edibles 3-4times a week weighed out 1.5grams, and was really stoned, so much so that yesterday he dropped it down to 3/4 of a gram, and said that was the perfect dosage.