What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CLONING IN COCO ?????

budelight

Discovery Requires Experimentation
Veteran
Thanks Knuckels and others.

The mothers were getting fed ~1.0 ec. clones cut, stuck in a cup of tap water, then used rooting hormone and stuck straight into coco.

Decided to feed with a light nute mix, but was not sure if a ph specific to cloning was common. Usually ph my nute mix to 5.8 (+/- 0.1).

ozman

coco coior pellets like jiffys

coco coior pellets like jiffys

Straight tap water here. Though I've gone back to jiffys cos it's easier to see roots pop out the side. If I could find coco jiffy type things I'd rock those instead

hi
i just started using coco for cloning im soaking my coco now and while looking around for info on cloning with coco i came across this thread
was the first one i clicked in search
when i went searching for info on my coco and also found coco pellets just like jiffy pellets
http://www.burpee.com/gardening-supplies/seed-starting/netted-coir-pellets--prod001252.html

gonna order some and try them out.:tiphat:

stizzle

First time cloning in coco, used rootech, 11 days, top of plant which is Dutch passion Compassion, Canna bag coco fed with RO + 5ml/gal ea calmag and liquid karma plus 10ml/gal rhizotonic. Under dome on a heat mat set to 79F. Seems easy enough!

kmObQK0.jpg

ozman

cal mag

cal mag

First time cloning in coco, used rootech, 11 days, top of plant which is Dutch passion Compassion, Canna bag coco fed with RO + 5ml/gal ea calmag and liquid karma plus 10ml/gal rhizotonic. Under dome on a heat mat set to 79F. Seems easy enough!

View Image

so you charge your coco with cal mag
,do you use it in every watering/feeding?
ive got some ice in coco now doing ok looking good
got some og just spreading their wings

plus im new to coco
done dwc,soil,nft,ebb n flow,

:tiphat:

stizzle

so you charge your coco with cal mag
,do you use it in every watering/feeding?
ive got some ice in coco now doing ok looking good
got some og just spreading their wings

plus im new to coco
done dwc,soil,nft,ebb n flow,

:tiphat:

Yep been using the RO+calmag+LK+rhizotonic to charge the coco for clones and seedlings and also as a foliar spray. When they get roots I start adding some nutes to the mix and back off on the rhizotonic. Had one plant root in 7 days.

GrnEyes

This is my first time cloning in coco and I just filled the bottom of my tray with just enough water to barely fill the grooves, cut some clones, snipped the fan leaf ends off, dipped them in dip & grow liquid solution, & stuck them in the coco. I then misted them with a light folier spray of maxicrop seaweed very diluted and put the dome on for a couple days with the vents closed. Day 3 in the morning I opened both vents half way and they didn't wilt so I opened the vents the rest of the way morning of day 4. Both days I misted the clones with plain water 3x. Day 5 I took the dome off for an whole hour and they were still fine so I left it off and I just mist them 3x per day. Days 6 and 7 misted 2x and put some more water in the bottom of my tray evening of day 7. Its day 8 and one of them has already sprouted a bunch of roots and has been transplanted into a solo cup of coco. Hopefully a few more will have roots later today. Its a waiting game and some strains seem to clone easier than others. Good luck!

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
You can clone in coco, in fact I only clone in coco, not soil or rockwool. It is a very clean substrate without insects or molds.

1. Scrape some of the outside of the stem to make it easier for the roots to break through. Cut the clones at the final length while holding them under water, so no air bubble can travel up the stem.

2. Coco needs to stand in water for a day or so before you can use it.

I'm taking about bagged (Canna) Coco, not coco bricks, which have to be flushed or prepared with a flushing agent.

For seeds, I would let the coco stand in a nutrient solution of 0.4EC of high P/K late flowering solution, and a pH of 6.0 (which you can use throughout the grow). That really puts a big root system on the seedlings, and prevents purpling of the stems or need for support.

However for clones, don't use any nutrients, other than rooting powder. However the same nutrients can be used after the clones have rooted, to stimulate massive root growth.

3. Use a container of whatever size you like, however make sure there is a drainage layer of perlite that is as high as the drainage holes, so there is no standing water after watering, which will rot the roots.

4. Outdoors, the clones should have filtered light.

I really like using sunlight and horticultural fleece, which the plants really love.

5. Don't mix the coco with perlite.

This way you need to water less. I would water twice a week for the first week. Don't overwater.

Last edited:

Phases

I've been reading how easy it is to clone in coco, I am really going to have to give it a try here soon!

GrnEyes

I liked cloning in coco so much that first time that I'm only going to clone in coco from now on! Roots seem to like it. Got a whole new tray going as of last night! Good luck everyone.

I have started using coco recently to root my cuttings, it's good, better then rockwool or jiffy or vermiculite and perlite and maybe less prone to fungus attacks then pro-mix. I will soak the coco in willow water next batch I make to give them hormones right where they need it.

Snydgrow

Hi blindate

has your results got any better?

I would say from pics coco looks bit wet and the cuttings them self look small maybe just picture tho?

Using floros are best and how i like to do it is put clay pebbles in propagator pour some water in then set tray of cutting on top, use a pen or something to wedge lid of propagator open and open vent slightly at start keep your temps up 28c - 30c constantly they love it i normally have roots 7-10 days even quicker sometimes. I dont root in coco i use rockwool but its all the same roots will come if environment is right.

Keep us up to date,

Thanks

Snydgrow

Sleeper7784

Check out my thread bud. I have a clowning in coco tutorial in there. It's the only way I roll and never had a problem.

oldbootz

Veteran
1. Fill seedling trays with rinsed wet coco.
2. Take cuttings and store them in a glass of water as you go.
3. One by one dip cuttings in root gel / powder and plant with at least one node below the coco.
4. Put humidity dome on.
5. Store in room temp area 25°C with a small amount of light on them (I use a 9 watt CFL).
5. Change air in the dome 1-5 times a day. Watch for the coco drying out. Top up water if so. The coco will go moldy if the air is not changed enough.
6. After about 10-16 days there should be roots from all clones.

Latest posts

Latest posts