What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

american landraces

Heard things about it being eradicated around Cleveland back in the 30's and they went after it.

Not sure what kind of plant, possible auto flower's that are related to the ditch weed in Minnesota........rudealis ???????

It would have to be indica's or auto flowers.......I don't think Great Lake Indians where well known for their hashish

G

Cannabis orgin is Asia, it was prolly traded to other races after that. as to when America got "those" landraces, i dont know for sure. But i think it would have been around the 1400's or maybe even earlier. The Chinese had trade routes set up around the world a very long time ago. Cannabis might have made its way over to America 10,000 years ago, with the Ice bridge. To my knowledge Cannabis was brought here, and has adapted to the American climate to produce what americans have today. thats my 2 cents.. be well, peace.

Cannabismavin,

Guest423

Veteran
the ditch weed don't autoflower and doesn't even appear to be indica dominant. most the leaves are on the skinnier side and the buds are mainly long and loose....i've pulled so much ditchweed out of some of my outdoor plots its sick....after a couple seasons it's eliminated though....some of my best outdoor spots used to be pure ditchweed.

Truth

well I'm sure there is many ruderalis strains native to the america's, because most of lower north america, central america, and upper south america give near perfect conditions for marijuana to grow. but because of prohibition, and industrialization, many of these strains are either lost or eradicated. some commercial outdoor comes from plants native to the americas, but you either won't know or hear of the people that grow these. Kentucky in the USA for example is known to have many native plants that show characteristics no other strain has. this is because most of the land is mountainous and are wooded areas. there is marijuana that has been growing there without human intervention for centuries, so these are isolated plants. hemp however is one of the main native plants known to exist in the americas. you won't find too much documentation on native plants such as ruderalis or indica/sativa types in a country where it is illegal with harsh penalties, and if there is, this is done by an individual that has no motivation or access to share it with other growers. in a country where it is illegal, commerical and personal growers alike only know this information because they learned it themselves, or it has been passed down from generations of knowledge, kind of like a family recipe. also, not many people in the cannabis community really care much for ruderalis because of its low potency.

Ganico

Veteran
Some form of cannabis (I believe it's just hemp) grows in the midwest, and supposedly in the south although I've never seen any. I saw a movie on it, and it apparently used to grow all over the whole country. Billions of acres for real. I've seen kudzu and cane plants, but never feral cannabis of any variety, haha.

Cannabis migrated with humans out of africa.

We'll never really know what was native to North America. It's obvious there are sativa's that have mingled in South America.

It's a shame they didn't document more in the states before eradicating. I would like to know what a Ohio landrace looked like.

zamalito

Veteran
There is no feral ruderalis in america. Why would anyone bring seeds from russia that are useless both industrially and medicianlly into the u.s and then grow them on a scale large enough to allow them to become feral? The landrace cannabis of the u.s was of turkish descent and in some areas is very similar to that used to make turkish hashish. The thc producing gene does exist in feral cannabis of the u.s but the cbd producing allele is more frequent. Female specimens have been found that produce 3-5% thc. There are also some drug strains which I believe have been cultivated since at least the early 20th century if not even the mid to late 1800's. Whether you consider them landrace or not really depends on your definition. Even in the early 1900's there were studies conducted which showed that most african americans in some regions of the u.s knew what cannabis was, what it looked like and where to get it. During alcohol prohibition a few organized crime groups had taken up growing drug cannabis on a commercial scale for sale to poor african americans and immigrants from africa, the caribean and asia.

Ganico

Veteran
Zam- Thanks! I'm gonna try to look up some more info on this, any suggested books or literary references on this?

Truth

from wiki:

"The term "ruderal" was originally used in the former Soviet Union to describe populations of hemp that had escaped cultivation and adapted to the surrounding region. Plants of this type are widespread throughout central and eastern Europe, including Lithuania, Belarus, Latvia, and Estonia. Similar populations can be found in most of the areas where hemp cultivation was once prevalent. The most notable region in North America is the midwest, though populations occur sporadically throughout the United States and Canada. These plants have escaped from cultivation more recently, and often grow larger than the ruderal plants in Europe.

Cannabis users often call this feral Cannabis "ditch weed." Outside of its native range, it is regarded as an invasive plant. Despite years of government-sponsored eradication programs, these feral plants still remain in bountiful abundance.

It has several times been proposed that this type of Cannabis be recognized as a distinct species, called C. ruderalis"

zamalito

Veteran
Truth, I'm curious about what traits you have heard of possessed by feral cannabis in kentucky. Cannabis is spred very easil because it produces such huge amounts of seed when grown on a field scale and needless to say the seed is extremely attractive to birds of many speces. The pollen can also great distances. Kentucky was the site of the heaviest hemp cultivation in the country. So it seems inevitable that cannabis would still be growing in some of the least traveled areas. In colombia cannabis was mostly just a wild plant until around the early mid 20th century.

zamalito

Veteran
If you're using the schultes taxonomic classifications which is what is used mostly on this site where cannabis indica is the central asian broadleafed varieties, c. Sativa is the narrow leafed varieties used for fiber and drug production and ruderalis as the tiny russian autoflowering plants ruderalis does not exist in the u.s as a feral plant.

zamalito,

I believe that in Rob Clarke's "Hashish!" is written that US started cultivation of a Turkish landrace strain named "Smyrna" which was used in Turkey for paper pulp and bird seed production.But it wasn't a good producer of high-quality fiber and not used.Also notes that Turkish landraces are low-THC producers.

zamalito

Veteran
Ganico, There's a great online reference called Marijuana: the first 12,000 years. The link is posted by sam in the cannabis references, historical and cultural sticky note on this forum. Another link on that thread was posted by me called "hemp cultivation in spanish california" or something similar. Another good book is starkes book marijuana potency which you can get used on amazon for a couple bucks.

Truth

I'm sure there is strains there that have been around since before the 1700's. especially when you still have a large amount of land that has not been destroyed or traveled by many humans. and cannabis was most likely cultivated in the 1700's or even prior by inhabitants (not just the hemp kind). some strains may have been brought over, some may not have. I doubt many commercial kentucky growers are ordering seeds by the barrel for their outdoor crops that number from the 100's to 1000's of plants.

some are family strains passed down and grown out over many generations, so obviously a strain grown in a specific region for possibly 100's of years will have acclimated to that region even if it was imported to that region. I remember one encounter with a 'native' kentucky strain had a characteristic in the way it budded that was much different than any other I have seen before. the buds grew into near-perfect 4-sided pyramids all over, with even sharp edges. it was much like fox tailing, but looked more like art. it is not to say that all strains there will be completely different than anything you've seen before, but the characteristics even on a canniboid level is different in some. it is the same as it would be if a strain was grown in colder temps for 100's of years, and one that is grown in hotter temps for 100's of years..you get either indica or sativa, but in the end it is still cannabis.

redrider

I always thought "North" American landrace=Hemp. Years ago (85) a "friend" of mine gave me after returning from his grandmothers farm in South Dakota about 5.lbs of big seedy dark green buds. It looked pretty good (it was really dry at the time) kind of like some none pressed Mexican. Even had a nice fresh scent but zero high/stone, I mean nothing. We rolled it, bowled, baked it, as well as made hash/oil and only got bigger headaches.

Last edited:

bergerbuddy

Canna Coco grower
Veteran
I saw some stuff like that came from Nebraska.... fat buds with crystals LOTS of seeds LOTS of seeds... my buddies filled their trunk with it after coming across it growing along the road.... They thought they had really SCORED!!...LOL lots of us bought the FIRST qp.... :)

BB

buster1

In the first place you do not need humans to spread Cannabis from one continent to another. Birds, floods, tornadoes, hurricanes and dozens of other means of dispersing seed. I am not saying travelers did not bring seed. But that there are other ways that could have brought US land races since glaciers retreated from most of the US. Some native tribes have used Cannabis for all of their existence. George Washington was introduced to Cannabis grown by Native Americans while surveying in Western Virginia. I found it growing wild in Mount Vernon and surrounding areas in 1968. They were pure Indica's that I inadvertently crossed with some Mexican Sativa called Michoacan. I was new to growing without a clue of strain differences.