What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Only a week of Veg? No problem... right?

RookieGrower98

What do you guys think of purposely switching to flower after two weeks or less of veg? Does anyone have any experiences with this concept if so were you satisfied with your yield?

This was something that I couldn't find any video of on youtube or even a discussion on a forum, so if it ends up to be unexplored I'll just try it myself and document it here on ICMag.
Every idea and opinion is welcome.

RockinRobot

Longer veg will give you bigger final yield, but as Switcher said many run 12/12 from seed.

Most people running SOG only veg 2 weeks. For SCROG I usually veg at least 4 weeks though.

You can do lots of plants with short veg or few plants with long veg and get same harvest. Whichever works best for you.

Pictured is my current run of Granddaddy Purp at 53 days.

These plants had zero veg. The cuts were taken and the dome placed directly into 12/12. This was done to sex the seed mothers as quickly as possible. I'm guessing they will yield 1/2 zip per plant.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

RookieGrower98

This topic is more interesting than I first thought, the thread Cvh mentioned convinced me. Ill try it with the three bublelicious seeds from Nirvana that I have laying around...maybe I'll make a short journal out of it to keep you guys posted if anyone's interested.

RockinRobot

This topic is more interesting than I first thought, the thread Cvh mentioned convinced me. Ill try it with the three bublelicious seeds from Nirvana that I have laying around...maybe I'll make a short journal out of it to keep you guys posted if anyone's interested.

I have tried 12/12 from seed when I ran out of weed after being hospitalized for a period. I wouldn't do it again unless I needed to. A few weeks veg makes a huge difference on yield.

RookieGrower98

I'm going on a trip to Amsterdam on the 4th of July and I really want to pump out another grow...so I have a month and a half to pull it off. Ill veg for two weeks and then switch to 12/12.

Fuel

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
You can do lots of plants with short veg or few plants with long veg and get same harvest.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Very diplomatic to preserve the honor of SOG haters, but technically wrong. The difference of yield in term of weight per year is just abyssal with strains builded for that. And i'm not talking about the insane densities than you can reach per sqm if you use the full height of your surface to set multiple layers of clones. You reach statistics of productivity than generally look like legendary for a bunch of next gen growers.
[/FONT]

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Next Gen?
Oh I see, you mean you do SOG.

Half a dozen reasonably sized plants, is something most countries won't go crazy about, if you got caught. While 60 is waving a red flag, even if it was in a 1.2 tent.

Maybe SOG could yield 20% more over a year, but is it 20% more jail?

Here in the UK, they tend to look at 12 or under as a personal grow, based purely on number. It changes from one police force to another, and with who you are. But generally, under a dozen your alright. So SOG here makes little sense, unless you really need more than an ounce a day.

RookieGrower98

Yeah, that is something to consider, but I'm just focusing on having the liest amount of Watts so my electricity bill doesn't raise any suspicion, don't get caught in the first place, right?

RockinRobot

Yeah, that is something to consider, but I'm just focusing on having the liest amount of Watts so my electricity bill doesn't raise any suspicion, don't get caught in the first place, right?

No one monitors electrical usage. Only way people get caught growing by the electric company is by stealing power. Hell, the lights on my old 265g saltwater aquarium drew more than my 2 lights now.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In the winter, we grow 12/12 (photoperiod). Helps decrease electric consumption.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran

My 1800 watts of LED would cost $70 a month if I ran them wide open (1800 watts). I run them at 600-700 watts (12-1400 watts total), and spend $55 a month.

You're not going to raise eyebrows unless you're running a 5-6 thousand watts. Even then, pay your bill on time and they don't care.

anon710

The life of these plants was 2 weeks to clone and get roots and fill a beer cup, 2 week veg in #3 nursery pots, and flip. Last pic is first day week 3 flower.

works well for me, 25ish plants per 1k normally is how I do them this way.

Wendull C.

Veteran
30 a light. 7 day veg, or what I consider pre veg. 4 or 6 a light, 4 to 5 weeks veg. It is strain dependent also. 30 a light og kush in dtw rockwool I can get away with 2 to 5 days veg.

I have seen BlackBerry kush with no veg turn into 2 liter bottles on popsicle sticks. 18 to 24 inches tall.

RockinRobot

Here's a good visual for you.

Plants on left went into flower with zero veg. The dome was placed directly into 12/12 as soon as clones were taken. (Was sexing new seed moms) plants on left at 73 days almost ready to harvest. The plants on the right got 2 weeks of veg after roots showed. This was approx 3 weeks total from cutting. Plants on right are at day 28 and nearly double the size after stretch.

Both are clones of same plant.

picture.php

Last edited:

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Here's a good visual for you.

Plants on left went into flower with zero veg. The dome was placed directly into 12/12 as soon as clones were taken. (Was sexing new seed moms) plants on left at 73 days almost ready to harvest. The plants on the right got 2 weeks of veg after roots showed. This was approx 3 weeks total from cutting. Plants on right are at day 28 and nearly double the size after stretch.

Both are clones of same plant.

View Image
... a picture is worth 1K words :)