What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any micro growers using CO2?

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Getting back exclusively into micro growing again, as my living situation is changing. I'll be setting up my DR60 in the new place as my only garden space. I'm going back into the rental life again, so I'll be living in an apartment. Because of that, I'll have to be 100% stealthy, just like I used to have to be in the early days of my gardening career.

That made me start thinking about fan sounds and whatnot. As most people know, even running extraction fans through a speed controller can be loud enough to call attention to it. Yes, I'm aware of covering up the sounds with other things like computers and desk fans or whatever, but the thought also occurred to me that I have a CO2 tank from my planted aquarium hobby that I could incorporate into the tent, and possibly be able to eliminate any need for an extraction fan. In other words, I'm considering the idea of running the tent as a "sealed" room of sorts.

If this is a doable idea, I would then just put the carbon filter and fan outside of the tent, in the bedroom, and make it look like a fancy HEPA filter or something that won't draw any attention. In theory it seems like this could work, as long as I can maintain ambient temperatures, which shouldn't be too hard with low wattage LED lighting. I'm just curious how long a 5-pound CO2 tank will last if I set it up on a cycle timer? Has anyone done anything like that? If I have to refill the tank every week that's a no-go. But once a month is reasonable. Does anyone know how to do the math on this? The tent is only 20 cubic feet in volume.

The idea is that this would be as virtually silent as it gets. The only thing making noise at that point would be the small fan on the LED fixture. Also, I'm genuinely interested after all this time in finally observing how CO2 injection would affect my gardening process. In the world of planted aquariums, for instance, the difference in growth rate and lushness of plants between a CO2-injected aquarium and a non-injected one is NIGHT AND DAY. I mean, there's no contest. So I expect there would be some observations like that in terrestrial gardening as well.

Any thoughts out of my fellow micro growers?

mnitg

Hush, this is a good question. I like your thinking. Running an L90 inside a 2.5 x 8 x 8 closet. Sealing the tent would be cool. Just have to add a humidifier.

Could use this as a simple a/c inside the micro space. I'll prob make an altered version that's a little smaller.

For co2, in a sealed small space, I think it's possible.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Hush, this is a good question. I like your thinking. Running an L90 inside a 2.5 x 8 x 8 closet. Sealing the tent would be cool. Just have to add a humidifier.

Could use this as a simple a/c inside the micro space. I'll prob make an altered version that's a little smaller.

For co2, in a sealed small space, I think it's possible.
If you are going to do something like that to cool the grow space, make sure the other side of the peltier has a lot of airflow away from the intake of the case. It just works by transferring heat from the "cold" plate to the "hot" plate. The heat still has to be exhausted somewhere. So that would make the inside of the case cooler, but the outside room warmer.

Latest posts

Latest posts