What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Recommended Not to Use a Long Extension

Cultosaurus

Greetings

This will be the first question that I've had to ask in a lot of years.

On a recent trip to my local head shop, the subject of increasing light came up. I have a 1000 watt that I'm not using and for the coverage of the area, I can move up from the 200 that is there now.

However, the proprietor of the head shop advised that I do not, as I planned, run a long extension from a different circuit. He said that I should use as short a cord as possible and use the extension to power what is there now ( a computer and an aquarium).

My original college education, lo these many . .. many years ago, was for electronics and I can see some reasoning for his advice.

I have checked here and on other sites and I get the same answers. They all relate strictly to making sure that you use a heavy gauge extension and that's the end of the advice.

There are electrical considerations that are not being answered in that advice though. Long runs, even of a sufficiently heavy enough cable will affect the power hitting the input side of the ballast. A long run will also affect the inductance of the circuit.

What this will do is to under power the ballast and cause premature demise of the bulbs - if the losses are severe enough.

My question is this : is there something to what the proprietor is saying? Will a long run on even a very heavy gauge still be a problem for the input to the ballast and it's operation? Or was he erring more on the side of safety than is necessary?

I can't use the present circuit the way it is because it's only a 15 amp and the ballast will take up at least 8 to 9 of that. I might be able to put a light bulb in it with the ballast, but nothing much more than that. The computer supply and aquarium won't be bothered by the move, so doing so is no big deal, just a matter of running the extension. . . .. and then not tripping over it.

Any advice greater than telling me to just use a heavy gauge would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance
Cult

Im not an electrician, there are some here though that will hopefully chime in.

I sucessfully ran 4000w off a 10 guage extension cord wired to my panel which I accomplished with the guidance of an electrician. It was 25'. It must depend on how long you're trying to run it. I was told if there's heat coming off the cable then you're fucking up but I ran it for a year with no problems.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've had extensions cords literally melt down from running 1k ballasts on them. As in, smoke and literally melt, leaving a char mark on the floor and ballast. FORTUNATELY, I was home when this happened and smelled the rubber. I thought for sure my room had caught fire some how (blown bulb, etc). Whole house could have gone up if I had not gotten to the outlet before the electrical surge hit.

ALWAYS make sure to keep extension cords as straight as possible. ALWAYS use proper gauge sizes. I think this was my error. To small a gauge (14) for running such an appliance, even though I had used the same cord set before without any issues, for several years. When it goes bad, it goes bad quickly.

Safety first. I almost learned the hard way.

dank.Frank

queequeg152

Veteran
copper still has resistance, if its long enough, it will drop the voltage quite substantially.

is it dangerous? not unless you are using a smaller gauge cord than your circuit protection.

what i mean is... if you are trying to move 20 amps across a 50' cord... make god damned sure its ATLEAST 10 gauge standed, and make sure the insulation is not shitty thin vinyl.

small gauge extension cords is usually more of an issue with induction loads though. i dont know the details, but i was told that induction loads will attempt to draw more amps when the voltage is dropped from line losses associated with under sized conductors. when you then start pulling to many amps through too small a cord, that cord will heat up.

its been a while since i rebuilt the extension cord for my welder... but i think the insulation you want is "SOOJ". i could be off... so double check, but im pretty sure you want a thick SOOJ insulation w/ the rope inside that aids in flexibility.

better than SOOJ is vulcanized rubber(from a durability standpoint)... but its insanely expensive.

troutman

Seed Whore
I only have one extension cord that I have used in the past and it's a heavy duty outdoor extension cord.
If you must use an extension cord do get a heavy duty one like the outdoor ones and not the cheap indoor ones.

I forgot to mention I run 8kw indoors I have an 8 light controller hooked up to a 50amp receptacle wired into my panel. I cut the ends off of 8x 12 guage extension cords and attached 220 male and female plugs on both ends. I got 4x 25' and 4x 50' running 1000w each with zero issues for the past year.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
Keep in mind that this is for solid conductor cable...

stranded cable will actually carry more--- with less resistance(i.e. less heat)

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
the plug and receptacles and timers all can be issues running thousands on extension cords.

ballasts should be plugged into the wall or hardwired. I've melted a few cords and timers.

MedResearcher

Veteran
Afaik a longer run will waste more electricity. You pay for the resistance. For a single 1k, 20 amp single pole the difference in the bill wont be noticeable. Just make sure to use the right gauge. 12 gauge minimum, could go for 10 gauge if you wanted to be extra safe. We just wired 4, 20 amp single pole dedicated circuits, using 12-2. Each run was about 50'.

When we pulled 400 amp dual pole service a decent length underground. The length of the run in regards to wasted resistance seemed important because of the size of the service. Got the contractor to dig a second trench to save a good 10 feet.

Mr^^

Wendull C.

Veteran
I forgot to mention I run 8kw indoors I have an 8 light controller hooked up to a 50amp receptacle wired into my panel. I cut the ends off of 8x 12 guage extension cords and attached 220 male and female plugs on both ends. I got 4x 25' and 4x 50' running 1000w each with zero issues for the past year.

You should really dedicate a 14 guage Romex or even MC cable to each line extension. It's not safe to do it like that in the first place but I have too, and I have an electrical work background.

Any extension cord I have seen is cheap stranded wire let alone with multiple connections.

Cultosaurus

Thanks Guys . . .. this helps. I think I will clear that circuit and put only the 1K on it.

But Chunky has reminded me of something. I forgot all about my timer. I'll have to check it's maximum . .. I'm guessing it won't be enough. I'll be fine for my veg state, but when I go to a 12 hour, I'm going to have to have a proper timer by then.

I am fortunate in one way, however. I live in an apartment and don't pay for electricity. I've been leaving a bunch of lights on to artificially bump my usage up to near what the 1K will load. The problem is that many of the places here in town have put even apartments onto 'smart meters' and are tracking usage. The cops know that usage will fluctuate for growers as the lights go off and on at odd hours and it gives them a BS excuse to enter. That's why I'm trying to keep my usage inflated until I can get the 1K on.

The proprietor mentioned that the hydro companies put about 3 to 4 on one meter, so the bastards are still trying to get intel on who might be growing. I don't trust our government, or any government for that matter. I don't want to appear on anyone's list. Completely off the radar . .. I don't care how promising the future may appear .. .. a wolf in sheep's clothing is still a threat to our modern culture.

But, at least now I have a plan and I know better what I'll be doing to resolve the issue.

Thanks again everyone !!!!!

seeded

I run a 15m super heavy duty extension cord from one end of the house to the grow room that powers 600w + 400w hps, a 235w extraction fan, 45w oscillating fan and a 23w cfl. It's got a 4 power board thing on the side and safety switch on it that kills the power if it gets too hot which it's done quite a few times in summer but never any other time of the year.

I don't care how shitty it is for the equipment, that I've got a honking great big yellow power cable pinned up around door frames and along walls, etc. it works and I can make a goddamn coffee of a morning without using a saucepan :laughing:

Latest posts

Latest posts