What's new

when is a good time to plant MJ seeds outdoors at 45 lat?

Bradley_Danks

bdanks.com
Veteran
I'm gonna plant some seeds in the ground outdoors in good soil but I don't want to plant them too early and have them die from the cold or anything. I'm at 45 latitude.

Normally I plant mj clones outdoors on may 15th and that's perfect for them.

Seeds are more sensitive so when is a good time to plant them in the ground?

N

newtothiscoco

well from what i have read over the time its the other way around :).

seeds are 2 times stronger than clones so seed plants should be able to go out erlyer

i got 14 plants out last month and they still live fine - the only thing that happend was they got sun burned cause i dident strees them off before,

i gave some clones to my buddy and he stuffed them in the ground to erly and they all died. so i dont know there are 2 sites here i guess :)

seeds have all thees problems when they are small thats right, but they are stronger than clones imop and many others to.

Bradley_Danks

bdanks.com
Veteran
Seedlings are much more sensitive than the rooted clones I make.

I could be wrong.

But my seedlings die in cooler temps easier than my rooted cuttings do.

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
once u get seedlings out of the first 3-4 week phase then its very hard to stop them other then breaking the stalk into or catching some sort of serious disease, they are super tender tho in those first moments. im at 37.5n and i set some my seeds out today. im gonna set more out tomorrow as well. may1 is usally my transplant date so at 45n id say end of may would be a gurantee for u. i think team microbe is at the same lat,u may want to ask him

Bradley_Danks

bdanks.com
Veteran
once u get seedlings out of the first 3-4 week phase then its very hard to stop them other then breaking the stalk into or catching some sort of serious disease, they are super tender tho in those first moments. im at 37.5n and i set some my seeds out today. im gonna set more out tomorrow as well. may1 is usally my transplant date so at 45n id say end of may would be a gurantee for u. i think team microbe is at the same lat,u may want to ask him

Thank you very much for the insightful reply. June 1st seems logical too me. I have a few hundred unknown but viable seeds. I've been periodically trying to germinate them outdoors but nothing has germed yet.

It seems like it will be warm enough on june 1st for them to germinate. I'm gonna keep trying and I'll let u know when some start to pop up.

I'll give team microbe a pm :)

Limeygreen

Veteran
Depends on your last frost and night temperatures as well as soil temperature. Around here may 24 weekend is the time to plant outdoors.

if the soil is chilly mulch the crap outta the plants.im at about the same latitude and ive got pepper plants outside already and ganga on the porch,potatoes in the ground,tons of flowers coming up

sprinkl

Veteran
I'm at 50N and the first went outside about a month ago, they're fine they would've been better off a bit later but they had to go, survived some light frosts when hardly out of seedling stage. The ones I kept inside are much bigger but may still end up smaller, the outdoors might have better roots already, we'll see.

ive had quite a few seedlings get hit with a frost.its all about how fast it takes for the sun to hit them if the temps were 30 to 35.below that and the plant suffers cell death.ive seen many a seedling with frost covered leaves but the frost melted off before the sun hit em.when the sun hits a light frost covered plant it magnifies it and burns the plant.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
Captain Obvious here....

It's an Annual, and a weed..... lol

If you plant them in the fall they won't come up till spring... and normally they won't come up till the soil is warm enough to sustain them.

Clones need to be 'hardened off' if you are going to domesticate the plant.

If you must play God. Plant the seeds, and cover with Agribond sp? They are way tougher than you'd think.... smarter too.

Since you've got plenty of seeds. Plant some every two weeks for a couple of months.... see what happens.

yes yes yes! staggered plantings are essential for outdoor grows imo.you never know what could go wrong and if you have to start more seeds.i plant mostly seedlings outdoors.i do some clones but i just never get the same yields off clones as i do seedlings.hybrid vigor i guess.

Limeygreen

Veteran
I'm around 41 n latitude consider it a 6 b climate zone with last frost anywhere from start may to half may.

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
I have baby seedlings just popping up outside, but I have a dark colored plastic box over them. Light shines through, but it is filtered like sun glasses. People tell me there is a risk of frost until mother's day here. The box keeps them warmer I think, like a small greenhouse.

I am in between 44 and 45 (Seattle)

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
Thank you very much for the insightful reply. June 1st seems logical too me. I have a few hundred unknown but viable seeds. I've been periodically trying to germinate them outdoors but nothing has germed yet.

It seems like it will be warm enough on june 1st for them to germinate. I'm gonna keep trying and I'll let u know when some start to pop up.

I'll give team microbe a pm :)

sweet bro! hopefully they will start popping up soon. we have a heat wave going on here. temps in the high 80s to low 90s this week with no rain.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
I was remiss in not reporting my Lat. and elevation earlier.

I'm in Denver Colorado (just over a Mile High 5500').

Lat. is 36-37.

I have REAL tomatoes outside in the dirt and they have not been covered in more than a week now.

You're probably not safe yet but a light covering should handle any frosts.

Also, don't be afraid to let them 'finish' in the fall. I've seen them out at the middle of October here. 5-6 frosts and still looking good (and making weight even after that much apparent abuse). Let nature do what's natural and you Will succeed. (Supplementing heavily on nutrients and water of course.) LOL

The outdoor I refer to is, at 7600' or so.

Latest posts

Latest posts