What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Carolina Reaper HOT Pepper

HillBilly1

Veteran
Turns out those are the "Jamaican Chocolate" habanero/scotch bonnet and not the Chocolate Scorpions...

This is now a random hot pepper thread.
I like the Scotch , I have grown them a couple times.
I can't remember where I got them.. They had a little bite
To em..

Cool thread y'all have here

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
made some watermelon salsa with the ghosts....

12 cups watermelon
10 strawberries
8 tbs apple cider vinegar
1/8 ghost pepper (no seeds, removed for propagation)
1/2 tsp honey

blended all together, then boiled and reduced, some corn starch for thickening...
got it to a comfortable heat, not too hot, very edible and delicious. first you get the sweet loud and clear, think you got off easy, then the ghost sneaks up on you, and you feel the pinch for sure...

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pulled a good number of seeds for a super hot out of a Reaper last night...will certainly be able to do this again next season. I still have a good number of peppers on the plant - 30 or so, that are about a week or two from being fully mature.

Flavor on them is very intense. Very similar to an orange habanero, actually. Fruity and some how sweet, in spite of the intense heat. Those that have had Ghost peppers know they are some what chalky/musty/smokey in there flavor - and the Reaper is nothing at all like that.

Even so, the flavor is 10x that of a Habanero. NOT talking about the heat factor - but the flavor of the pepper itself. I followed my basic salsa recipe and substituted the Habanero in the list for Reapers. The Habenero gets drowned out flavor wise and you'd never know it was there...the Reaper, on the other hand, becomes the predominant flavor and pretty much over powers many of the other ingredients.

I'm now thinking that some sort of Reaper/pineapple/soy/sesame/bourbon type of sauce or marinated is the next thing to try using these peppers in. Something that will really highlight the complexity of the sweet and fruity in them.

But the real question is how hot the things are - they are no joke. I found them to produce heat both throughout the mouth, lips, and entire body. As you exhale to get your sense, your breath burns your nostrils and your eyes water. Core body temperature easily rises and bit by bit the sweat begins to pour down my face and beads up on my forearms...arm pits dripping down my side. (pleasant imagery, I know...hahahaha) The heat does NOT hit immediately, more so it builds...and there is no turning back once it really hits. The endorphin release is not immediate but within 5 minutes your head begins to swim and your body starts to feel lighter...and then you get chills as the sweat begins to feel like small beads of ice instead. It should be noted - I did NOT puke...which honestly left me a bit impressed with myself. After watching many youtube videos with "pepper pros" making fools of themselves, I did I have a bucket within arms reach, but it was never needed.

I've got to admit I'm pretty much in love with these bad boys all ready. Everything I was hoping they would be and then some. The flavor really surprised me and opens a whole new door for utilizing the peppers. I was expecting to be on the curry wagon for the next couple of months like I would typically be with a Bhut - but not at all...completely different flavor for a super hot.

Anyway - hope that is a sufficient review and gets everyone growing these excited for the finish line. I know they will not be leaving my gardening line up. I'll be growing much more of them this coming year!

dank.Frank

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
One of the best reviews I've read. Makes me want to go mow-pow more chilies. The endorphin rush is what drew me in originally.

Now I am antsy to throw hallucinogens in to the mix, maybe make Chocolate Dipped Mind and Mouth Melters™

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
must just be the variety.. interesting... you got any popped yet? this is a hot pepper thread...

Here's a peter pepper... they come in circumcised and un-circumcised.... true story.

Hot-Chilli-and-naughty.jpg

171326.jpg

MrTea

some guy
Veteran
The one I tried to clone.

This one just started flowering under 18/6. 5 months old and only 10" from soil lol.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Takes about 4 months from seeing those first flowers. Really...these grow and mature very slowly...

dank.Frank

MrTea

some guy
Veteran
Takes about 4 months from seeing those first flowers. Really...these grow and mature very slowly...

dank.Frank

The 9 month pepper plant! Lol! Ridiculous. It will be totally worth it in the end to create edible fire. Does it keep growing vertically during flowering, Frank? Was hoping to get it at least 2-3 ft before it started flowering, but I don't see that happening anymore.

Last edited:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah, it'll keep growing vertically, and it'll keep producing. Even now mine is making new flowers and fresh peppers are forming, albeit it really has gotten too cold for the plants themselves to really thrive...but they keep trying. I could easily have gotten 3x as many peppers of this plant had I made sure to pollinate ever flower by hand and had the weather participated more...

They are super productive plants, in reality. They just take their time. Mine stayed pretty squat too, for what it's worth. I think you have to start them indoors late December and get them outside after first frost - and you might get yourself the 4ft bush you are after - and then you'll see full season production lasting up to the weather goes cold again.

I plan on having A LOT more of these peppers in the upcoming year. They'll pretty much be my focus in the veggie garden. They seem to have a slightly shorter shelf life than some of the other peppers I've grown too...maybe a 3 week window at best and then they start to get a bit soft. I've had jalapenos on the counter for 8wks and they are still just as firm as the day they were picked...not entirely sure what the difference was - maybe point of maturity when picked, not sure - just an observation I've made.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of you share your Reapers!!!! I know you'll be as amazed with them as I have been!

dank.Frank

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
My next flowering cycle I'll stick in the reapers in... after that I'm gonna germ some ghosts... I keep finding myself taking small bites of the ghost chili... there's just somethin about the flavor... and the heat.... and the endorphins... I like to eat a piece of hot pepper while I smoke a bowl... it seems odd even to myself...

Betterhaff

Veteran
They seem to have a slightly shorter shelf life than some of the other peppers I've grown too...maybe a 3 week window at best and then they start to get a bit soft.

I used to freeze habs and bonnets whole. They don’t have a long shelf life or dry well. After freezing they are not as good for eating fresh (crunch is gone) but work fine for cooking and sauces with no loss to potency.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You think it'd be okay to put some reapers in the food dehydrator???? I think they'll handle it just fine...although, I was planning to cut them open first.

Do I need to rethink that?

dank.Frank

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Definitely in the dehydrator, deseeded/sliced. I believe below 110-115F is prime. I oven dried with the door open, around 130F, took around 15 hours. I can't really nail my thumb on it, but I feel everything oven dried lost a lot of pungency. There is still a lot of background burn, but I plowed through a plate of wings in Morouga sauce the other night, when it should have wiped me out. The one Morouga popper I made from fresh almost got on top of me like a bag of mushos mistakenly identified as popcorn.

MrTea

some guy
Veteran
Heat will degrade both the aroma, taste, and medicinal properties of any plant. I am sure that means even scoville units.

Latest posts

Latest posts