What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hydroponic CFL Grow

BananaTree

Here we go - these babies were clones of an unknown strain sativa mom and grew to over 6 feet tall. They were vegged for 4 weeks under a blue 200w and a 125w blue cfl with the lights on 24hrs. Then changed the lights to 12/12 for 8 weeks with red spectrum cfls - one 125w and one 200w envirolites. Theyve been fed ionic nutes and were flushed for the last two weeks.

BananaTree

hatchetman said:

it was just shy of 4oz this time :yoinks: but they were just an experiment.
The experiment was mainly to see what happened if i went just one plant per pot as I reckon the flo gro hydro system's planters can take eight big rockwool cubes in total per planter.

So it was 8weeks of one 200w + one 125w blue envirolites vegging for 24hrs continuous light per day. I Then switched to red spectrum enviros same wattage and 12/12 per day for 8weeks.

They needed loads of support to keep them upright.

In the future I will try to grow more flowers than leaves though meaning less veg time or 18/6 for 4-6weeks first.

DangerP

I'm sure you get this a lot, but at that high wattage, why didn't you decide to go with a 250 or 400 watt HPS light instead? Heat issues?

It looks awesome, though. Your results speak for themselves.

BananaTree

DangerP said:
I'm sure you get this a lot, but at that high wattage, why didn't you decide to go with a 250 or 400 watt HPS light instead? Heat issues?

Thanks! I am thinking of getting a nice hps and ballast some day but until then its all nicely contained in the one bulb unit, and I'm under the illusion they are cheaper and cooler yes.

A domestic 14w compact flourescent light is equivalent to a 60w incandescent light bulb.

but

These are agricultural grow lamps designed specifically for the purpose and are 100 % PAR, correct spectrum, high lumen light.

Heres a quote from the manufacturers that I agree with.

"Envirolites do not generate excessive heat and can be used directly over plants. This is the secret of growing with Envirolites, positioned directly above, just 3 cm or 4 cm, the top of the plants! Unlike HID lamps, this new generation, grow lamps will not burn your plants.

This is a real advantage compared to growing with HID lamps, as there is no wasted light, which occurs when HID lamps are positioned high above plants. Envirolites give 100 % PAR, correct spectrum, high lumen light directly on top of your plants - where they need it!

• Self Ballasting Lamps - simple to install or wire

• 100 % PAR in the correct spectrum for growing

• Generates much less heat than HID Lamps

• Energy saving lamps give lower operating costs

• High Lumen Output ~ Long Life Operation"

I would add that I've handled and moved them while they are on and they are a bit more 'forgiving' than the big boys toys. what with the no seperate ballasts etc.

Also

I have enjoyed being able to easily switch light spectrum from 6100K blue to 2700K red by just changing the bulb. That allowed me to veg under blue lights and 24hr or 18/6 light until i had bushes and trees then change bulb and flower 12/12 in the same space.

I realise now that 1-2 200w red enviros will work for a nice flowering period. I dont need to worry about heat rising above 30-35 degrees C.
And the running costs certainly dont seem to cause a blip on the electricity.

HAPPYTREE

looks like your gonna do it again BANNANATREE
Keep up the great work, LOoks really good 4 cfl Gotta love the low heat

HT

About how much did the initial set up cost? Are they pretty pricey lights? I'm still planning on a 150w hps but if I can find something cooler and more hassle free that sounds like a winner. Nice trees, btw.

G

Really nice BannaTree, I have contemplated using CFL's in my veg for quite some time now. This may shift the tide!

BananaTree

Thanks!! My hobby makes me medicine and also makes me happy through growing.

meet my little friend :wave:

In my opinion 125w and 200w blue cfls are fantastic for cloning and vegging in comparison to cool white flourescents. Definately cooler and cheaper but more importantly the light is of the correct spectrum imitating the long days of summer when the sun is high in the sky.

The equivalent "big boys toy" is a large metal halide for vegetating the plant which, from what i have gathered, requires its own specific, different ballast from a high pressure sodium light.

These HID metal halides get very hot so are not recommended for smaller areas which are unventilated and where the temperature/humidity are unregulated.

Grow Update

Warm outdoor temps are producing a room temperature limit. If it was not for the use of envirolites and constant venting of the room manually with a desk fan, I would be experiencing problems.

Changing to HPS would also require installing a complete ventilation system with squirrel fan and carbon scrubber to control smell and temps.

Smell is extremely fragrant but is creeping out of the room. Buds and leaves covered in trichomes. Smell is of sweet lemon sherbet.

Results were noted overnight by moving the lights to literally 3 to 6 inches from the tops. No burning developed and speed of growth in the buds became apparent quickly.

Just to show this is not a thread biased against High Intensity Discharge lights I thought you may like to see this.

This is the same strain under 400w hps grown organically in soil/perlite mix. Note the autumn colours/ yellowing of the leaves due to the speed they have been flowered at. This yellowing does not seem to occur when using hydroponic growing methods.

These fat sticky nugs are about day 60.
:joint:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts