What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Forest products as Soil conditioners..

Qatman

I am new to gardening in general.. I just started composting this spring. However I am on a mission to build a Soil that I can use immediately, on a minimum budget. I found some materials that I thought might provide the native hill dirt with aeriation, water retention, lots of fungi.. but before I work my butt off, can you tell me if its worth it, or is this a recipe for disaster?

20 year old pile of rotted wood.. I think pine and oak. damp, easy to break up, fungi probably thriving. Viable alternative to peatmoss? Conditioner, mulch, or bust?
cvT5DKu.jpg

JIkuhx1.jpg

Is this humus? It felt pretty spongy. Should I get some?
bazAmvH.jpg

One more thing.. there are huge earthworm colonies living under oak trees in this Forest. Would their poop provide the kind of nourishment we need, or do they need to eat greener more nutritious meals for their castings to be good?

Thanks

Sunshineinabag

I always plant with worms even when they die they benefit the medium.. what you have is worth a go...try not to disturb the area very much and take samples to plant in! Of course it's worth it!

dufous

The rotted wood is of limited value. It will have no nutrition and makes your soil dry.

The forest soil you got there looks like it has potential. I would have to hold it in my hand to really know.

Qatman

There's a lot of critters living here.. rabbits, wild hogs.. I'll try not to disturb them too much. I will mix a small batch to pot in and play with the ratios..

I could sure use some composted manure.. are old dry cow patties good as plant food? Too hot? Crusty horse turds perhaps?

Thanks.

h.h.

Veteran
Forest products are generally out of bounds.
Our grow media is not that important.
Looks like good leaf mulch/soil.

Horse manure is good, but it needs to be composted. Its not really hot, but it tends to pack and dry out when its fresh. Like a hard road apple.

troutman

Seed Whore
1st thing to do is test the pH and then adjust it. More than likely you need lime with
forest products. High fiber material like wood will need lots of nitrogen to fully compost
away. So add that after your pH is good to get it going.

It's doable. Just needs work that's all.:tiphat:

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
I am new to gardening in general.. I just started composting this spring. However I am on a mission to build a Soil that I can use immediately, on a minimum budget. I found some materials that I thought might provide the native hill dirt with aeriation, water retention, lots of fungi.. but before I work my butt off, can you tell me if its worth it, or is this a recipe for disaster?

20 year old pile of rotted wood.. I think pine and oak. damp, easy to break up, fungi probably thriving. Viable alternative to peatmoss? Conditioner, mulch, or bust?
View Image
View Image

Yes, gather those and use in place of peat or just till them into your local soil.

Decomposed wood and leaves along with the products of the decomposing organisms is how nature makes soil.

Worms and mushrooms are a bonus.