What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

70's colombian redbud

New hippydon

1970's colombian redbud. I mean redbud as described as small chunks of hash, leaf, stem and seed. It came in a deep maroon/ red colour. Very potent. Does anybody know where in colombia this mythical strain came from? As seen in the bottom right corner of this hightimes top 40. With TON's and TON's of this high grade Colombian being imported for a good number of years to the us. How is it that no ones really sure where it came from or how it was cured or really anything about it. Does it still even exist? Are seeds available from anyone for this strain.

Attachments

• 488FAD7B-A350-40C4-8F10-111AABE16FFB-789-00000120A4AE4495.jpeg
    488FAD7B-A350-40C4-8F10-111AABE16FFB-789-00000120A4AE4495.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 2,245

igrowone

Veteran
nice pics there, the columbian gold pic does line up nicely with my memory, very fine bud that
the red showing at the bottom of the page, that i never saw
i did see a good amount of punta roja in the late 70's, red tip, and it was
very good too, not quite as good as the gold, but still real good

WelderDan

Veteran
The Red we got was somewhat varied. Some brownish-red, some more brownish with a lot of red hairs. It had a more earthy taste than the gold. I'd always heard the Red was a lowland variety, while the Gold was from the highlands.

Growth-wise, the Red tended to have wider leaves in veg and a shorter flower time than the Gold. The Gold tended to have thinner leaves, more fingers to the leaves and a longer flower period.

The Red produced monster leaves. Almost Afghani looking in width, but longer overall. And absolutely huge plants. Huge fat stems and bushy as hell. The Gold tended to be taller, not quite as bushy, with longer, thinner leaves.

The high was similar, but the Red had a little more body to it, and the Gold had a little more heady component.

That's my recollection. I lived near a port city, with fleets of shrimp boats. Our weed was generally pretty fresh, and the origin stories came from shrimpers that were importing the stuff. So, as with all stories from 40+ years ago, take it with a grain of salt.

The appearance and growth are my own recollection of what we grew. Weather or not the origin of that weed is correct is debatable.

Lrus007

Veteran
well about 78-79 got a killer 1/4 of
colombian red. friend and i went 1/2's on it.
when we broke it up was 2 seeds. we each kept one.
about 82 i came across it. so i planted it lucked out
was female. still got the old girl. it changes sometimes
red one crop gold another. only photo i have on puter
is a dried bud. so enjoy Lrus007

Attachments

• colum.JPG
    colum.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 497

soopy

Veteran

Dude....that is insane! My word, that clone is almost as old as I am, lol. I am beyond impressed you have kept her that long...do you put her outside from time to time to help her keep her vigor? Mad respect good sir, you are an amazing grower/herb lover to pull that off, mad respect.

herbgreen

Veteran
These type of red strains also tend to make the eyes extra red for some reason

You may want to try Ace or Cannabiogen and seedsman has a colombian red x haze at one point which you could dig up somwhere

Keep asking around and look in these seed co discriptions for something close

I know what you are talking about there many places to look.....its messed up that some of these once common grass types are seemly scarce or just plain gone

too-dope

That's what you call dedication.

Betterhaff

Veteran
The really good red bud we got was in the summer of ’75. And it was a short stint. I picked up a pound and was a little leary because it was twice the price as other stuff out there and wasn’t sure how people would take the prices, it was expensive compared. I was worrying about nothing, it was gone in 2 days. So I picked up 3 more pounds and that went quick too. A friend of mine and I pooled our money to buy 10 pounds, but we were too late, it was gone. One of my favorite weed of all times.

I really wish I would have kept more back as stash and saved more seeds. Saved a bunch of seeds but we could never get them to finish here (outdoors).

Not sure where in Colombia it came from but may have only been a shipment or 2. Or a lot of it got diverted to other markets. It was 1 or 2 hit pot, tasted like hash with a bit of incense and hit hard at first but then really crept in. Mostly head with a little warm body. Looked a little similar to the bud Lrus007 posted up.

I would love to experience it again just for the nostalgia and of course the high. Dream on.

48N

The really good red bud we got was in the summer of ’75. And it was a short stint. I picked up a pound and was a little leary because it was twice the price as other stuff out there and wasn’t sure how people would take the prices, it was expensive compared. I was worrying about nothing, it was gone in 2 days. So I picked up 3 more pounds and that went quick too. A friend of mine and I pooled our money to buy 10 pounds, but we were too late, it was gone. One of my favorite weed of all times.

I really wish I would have kept more back as stash and saved more seeds. Saved a bunch of seeds but we could never get them to finish here (outdoors).

Not sure where in Colombia it came from but may have only been a shipment or 2. Or a lot of it got diverted to other markets. It was 1 or 2 hit pot, tasted like hash with a bit of incense and hit hard at first but then really crept in. Mostly head with a little warm body. Looked a little similar to the bud Lrus007 posted up.

I would love to experience it again just for the nostalgia and of course the high. Dream on.

Have you tried panama (ace seeds), it fits your description well
Or Punto rojo (cannabiogen)

Betterhaff

Veteran
I’ve looked at them as well as some others in their catalogs. I’m primarily an outdoor grower and I’m not sure they would finish properly where I’m at. You never know though, sometimes you can find the right micro clime and then be blessed with an extended season. With some of those lines it’s not so much about the flowering time but more of when they initiate flowering.

Sativan

Cannabis big leaguers know where both Columbian Red and Columbian Gold were grown.

I have some landrace Columbian Gold and it's high THC for something this old.

I couldn't resist trying it again after all these years.

satva

Veteran
Cannabiogen - Punto Rojo is a cross of two regions northern mountains near Santa marta and southern mountains Tomilas. There are gold, red, rainbow, green, and maroon phenotypes. The gold has a clear, spacey, cerebral trippy high and the reds have a euphoric, dreamy, trippy high with a nice energy flow. I remember the 1975 Colombian Red, it was my favorite commercial Colombian lot. The only commercial Colombian sold in bulk that was in the same league as the late 1960's and early 1970's connoisseur Colombian that came thru New York City. Even in the early 1970's connoisseur Colombian was sold by the gram or 1/4 ounce.

Here's a variety of Cannabiogen - Punto Rojo phenotypes.

satva

Veteran
My two favorite highs, are the long flowering golds from Punto Rojo and ColJam, both are trippy old school highs.

Highland Colombian - Punto Rojo ~ long flowering 19 - 20 weeks

Highland Colombian Gold x Jamaican lambsbread _ long flowering 20 weeks

The high from shorter flowering ~ 15 - 17 week phenotypes are more euphoric and feel good not as trippy as the long flowering.

Punto Rojo has a more rounded growth structure with thinner 7 -
9 finger leaves

Colombian Gold dominate has more upright growth structure with wider 1- 3 finger leaves in flowering

ColJam - harvest at 20 weeks of flowering

Pictures from the same plant from two harvests, mid and late harvest.
My favorite - the classic Punto Rojo (Red Point) Green with red points harvested at 16 - 18 weeks clean, energetic trippy high

Punto Rojo harvested late at 20 weeks cured gold / red,~ trippy, euphoric, dreamy high.