What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

envirolite cfl's and a flo-gro

BananaTree

article from cc mag ask ed about cfl's

article from cc mag ask ed about cfl's

I save heat issues by using cfl's - my main reason

Heres an ASK ED article from CC mag -

These lights are very efficient, high wattage, self-ballasted fluorescent lamps. They come in 90-watt and 125-watt models. The red spectrum has a color temperature of 2700 Kelvin, about the same light as produced by an incandescent bulb, but without the high amount of infrared light that is produced by incandescent bulbs. The full spectrum light is 6700 Kelvin, a blue light similar in color to sunlight at noon in early summer.

The difference between these lamps and most fluorescents is that they deliver a lot of light because they have a higher wattage than ordinary compact fluorescents, which usually use no more than 20 watts.

A 1000-watt HPS lamp delivers about 140,000 lumens initially and a 1000-watt MH lamp delivers about 110,000 lumens. That comes to 140 lumens per watt and 110 lumens per watt, respectively. A 125-watt Envirolite lamp emits about 12,000 lumens, almost 100 lumens per watt. It takes eight 125-watt lamps to make 1,000 watts. Eight Envirolite lamps emit 96,000 lumens. That's roughly 75% the amount emitted by an HPS per watt. However, that's not the full story.

The question is, how much useable light is getting to the plants? Most HPS and MH light is produced in spectrums that the plant does not use or uses relatively inefficiently. Lamps that have been improved for agriculture are only marginally more efficient, but these improvements represent a significant change in the percentage of useable light.

The Envirolite red has a spectrum with a much higher percentage of light in the red spectrum, which is the part of the light that plants use most efficiently for photosynthesis. Incandescent lights also produce a high percentage of light in the red spectrum, but they produce even more infrared light. (Incandescents are very inefficient light producers so they are the most expensive lights you can buy when you figure the cost of electricity.) When plants receive more infrared light than red light they stretch.

Plants use mostly red and blue light to power photosynthesis and use orange, yellow, and green light much less efficiently. One advantage of eight 125-watt lamps rather than a single 1000-watt bulb is that the light is distributed more evenly and there are fewer shadows.

As far as heat is concerned, the energy rating of an appliance, measured in watts, determines the amount of heat that is produced. Eight 120-watt fluorescent units produce almost as much heat as a single 1000-watt HPS lamp. It's just that it is distributed over a larger space. Watt for watt, Envirolite lamps are more expensive than high pressure sodium lights.

Last edited:

Flatey

ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring bananaphone.:rolleyes: couldnt resist
I got a couple of those but I have no idea how well they will flower anything. I just use em for vegging stuff.
Nice little setup tho. GL. :wave:

Last edited:

Mr.Gr33n

i hade purchased the 4 bulb envirolite system (cost way to much)
4 bulbs - 125w each , 2xblue spectrum, 2xred spectrum

only problem i hade with envirolites are/were

1) after plant hits 12"-18" the lower growth turned yellow and died.
seems they dont penetrate the canopy very well at all.
2) after only 14-18 days of use 1 bulb went (replaced it) 3 days later another.....

i found the light to be only good for bringing up young seedlings/clones

i hope you have better luck than me with envirolites.
im sorry to say nothing beats the HPS for power and penetration into canopy...

as id say you will find out when u switch to 12/12

good-luck

BananaTree

I've had some fun with these last year. It suits me to use this type of light. If I were less abled they would be easier and safer to handle than hids. As I said above the heat saving is the issue and not having a seperate ballast etc saves hassle. One 200w blue is enough to veg and then swap for the red for flowering. I use em all most of the time but over the 400w brings too much heat for my space and plants.

Main issue is keeping my hands off them... :joint:

mikeh

Hello,

I just wanted to show u this:

SL & Inductie experimenth.

I know that you guys aint dutch, but pictures say more than words!!

strain: K2
11 liter pots filled with all-mix (with mycorrhiza & bacto in it)

Room nr 1: 6400 K
Room nr 2: 4200 K
Room nr 3: 6400 K
Room nr 4: 400watt HPS
Room nr 5: 4200 K
Room nr 6: Induction lights ( 2100 K )

If you want more information.. just PM (i don't follow all those threads here :x (i should shame myself !!))

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
looking good nanatree, i think enviros rocks for smal spaces and as supplimental lighting...(great for growing ur peyote cacti and stuff like that too) i broke my 125er at the weekend setting a clone/seedling/bonsai mom box up....i was devastated.... especially coz ill have to wait 3 weeks til i can get ne but =never mind il just have to wire a bunch of small ones together for now.....
just a random fact for you, my mates growshop has a banana tree in a Flo-gro in his shop window....

BananaTree

thanks guys. mikeh thats a well interesting post and link. I'm gonna be a while digesting all the pictures and info. I'd like to know more about induction lights.

Harry - I too had a 125w and broke the bugger. It did come apart and still work but when I smacked into the wall accidentally it didnt survive. They can take some punishment though without blowing up dangerously.

OK Lets hope these turn out female :joint:

Last edited:

BananaTree

Tiny yellow tips on a couple of leaves as they got closer to the light.
I reckon thats approaching approx 1 month from seed now.
I'm backing off on the original lights now(200w red+200w blue cfl + 15w grolux cfl). So its 200w blue now.

The distance that these lights are kept from the plant has to be constantly adjusted for best performance.

mikeh

Looks pretty nice, and very healthy plants!!

The induction lights are pretty expensive since their pretty new in the growing world.

550 euro isn't cheap. But the price will get down if a lot of ppl are gonna use it / buy. (like with the HPS lights, 10 years back i payd around 200 guilders for 1 set (90 euro) and now they're lik 65,- (euro) per set )

Good luck!

I'll follow this thread.

Gr Mike.