What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

whatZ....U'r Favorite..... Sandwich????

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
well simple as put as the title.say's........

istory

English Sandwiches

Sandwich with fried egg, tomato and cucumber
Bread has been eaten with any meat or vegetables since Neolithic times. For example, the ancient Jewish sage Hillel the Elder is said to have placed meat from the Paschal lamb and bitter herbs between two pieces of matzah (or flat, unleavened bread) during Passover.[2] During the Middle Ages, thick slabs of coarse and usually stale bread, called "trenchers", were used as plates. After a meal, the food-soaked trencher was fed to a dog or to beggars, or eaten by the diner. Trenchers were the precursors of open-face sandwiches.[3] The immediate cultural precursor with a direct connection to the English sandwich was to be found in the Netherlands of the 17th century, where the naturalist John Ray observed[4] that in the taverns beef hung from the rafters "which they cut into thin slices and eat with bread and butter laying the slices upon the butter"— explanatory specifications that reveal the Dutch belegde broodje was as yet unfamiliar in England.
Initially perceived as food men shared while gaming and drinking at night, the sandwich slowly began appearing in polite society as a late-night meal among the aristocracy. The sandwich's popularity in Spain and England increased dramatically during the 19th century, when the rise of an industrial society and the working classes made fast, portable, and inexpensive meals essential.[5]
It was at the same time that the sandwich finally began to appear outside of Europe. In the United States, the sandwich was first promoted as an elaborate meal at supper. By the early 20th century, as bread became a staple of the United States diet, the sandwich became the same kind of popular, quick meal as was widespread in the Mediterranean.[5]

my FAV...........is the New Orleans.....Muffuletta
preferably from CENTRAL grocery......

picture.php

I could eat one every day fr the Rest of my life........

anybody else got A special.....sandwich?????

Bobby Stainless

"Ill let you try my Wu-Tang style"
Veteran
Muffaletta is a great sandwich.

Some of my favorites have been:

A New Orleans Hot Brown. Grilled Chicken Hoagie, smothered in crawfish etouffee.

I am a sucker for any kind of Po Boy, doused with hot sauce!

I love a good fried fish sandwich!

Philly cheese steaks!

I personally make a Italian Hot Beef sandwich that is pretty gangster as well.

yortbogey

Veteran
Say............bobby.............I use to live down in NOLA......
use to get this Shrimp Po-boy......shrimp.stuffed w/ pepperjack cheese....wrapped in BACON......then breaded and fried on a fully dressed....loaf........@ Street Car deli in uptown garden district.......

every had a Ferdi................

New Orleans - CBD: Mother's Restaurant - Famous Ferdi Special

Mother's Restaurant opened its doors, on Restaurant Row at 401 Poydras Street, in 1938 by Simon and Mary (Mother) Landry and his large family. During and after World War II, Mother's became a local hangout for the Marine Corps, earning the nickname TUN Tavern of New Orleans. Five of the six Landry children joined the Corp--Francis Landry became the first woman in Louisiana to be accepted. In 1986, the Jerry and John Amato bought Mother's from the Landry's sons Jacques and Eddie, and promptly doubled the menu adding traditional dishes like jambalaya and gumbo next to the po'boys that made Mother's famous, like the Ferdi Special.

The Famous Ferdi Special Po-Boy consists of Mother's Best Ham, roast beef, debris and gravy. Debris is the roast beef that falls into the gravy while baking in the oven. The sandwich is named after Mr. Ferdi, a local merchant and regular Mother's patron, who supposedly did nothing more than ask for ham to be added to his roast beef po'boy. The Ralph special, named after Ferdi's nephew, adds cheese.

The Po' boy, or Po-Boy , also known as Oyster Loaves, is the generic name for the standard New Orleans sandwich. The key ingredient that differentiates po'boys from other subs is the Louisiana French bread, which differs from a traditional baguette in that it has a flaky crust with a soft, airy center. This is generally attributed to the high ambient humidity causing the yeast to be more active. Traditional versions are served hot and include seafood, roast beef, sausage or ham, but can include nearly any meat filling. A "dressed" po' boy has lettuce, tomato and pickles; mayonnaise and onion are optional. Non-seafood po' boys will also usually have mustard--either "hot" or "regular", with the former being a coarse grained Creole mustard and the latter being American yellow mustard.

There are many competing stories as to the origin of the po' boy. The most widely accepted holds that that it was invented in a New Orleans restaurant owned by Clovis and Benjamin Martin, brothers and former streetcar drivers who opened a restaurant on St. Claude Avenue in the 1920s. When streetcar drivers went on strike in 1929, the brothers took up their cause and created an inexpensive sandwich of gravy and spare bits of roast beef they would serve the unemployed workers out of the rear of their restaurant. When a worker came to get one, the cry would go up in the kitchen that "here comes another poor boy!," and the name was transferred to the sandwich, eventually shortened in Louisiana dialect to "po" boy.

In his book The Art of the Sandwich, Jay Harlow suggests that the namecomes from the French pour boire or "peace offering," which stems from when men would come home after a night on the town, bringing an oyster loaf as a peace offering. Harlow's account conlates two other stories. The French word pourboire literally means "for drink" and translates as the tip one leaves a serving person or a delivery boy. These tips could be used to buy a small sandwich, which became known as poor boys. A variation on this story is that the tips were "for the boy" rendered in a Franglais mixture as "pour le boy." The Peacemaker (La Mediatrice), an early predecessor of the po'boy, was the name for an oyster loaf--a whole loaf of French Bread, split, hollowed out, and buttered, loaded with fried oysters and garnished with lemon juice and sliced pickles. The name derives from 19th-century husbands who would come in late from a carouse with the sandwich to cushion a possible rough reception from the lady of the house.

One resturaunt in Bay St. Louis, Missippi, Trapani's, insists that the name "po' boy" came from a sandwich shop in New Orleans. If one was new to a bar and bought a nickel beer, then he got a free sandwich thrown in. This was sometimes called a "poor boy's lunch."

Mother's was featured on the Travel Channel show, Man Vs. Food (Episode 9)

picture.php

I think I died and have gone to heaven.............

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
mornin. Oh my the list is endless.But this discussion brings back po boys from houston!!
Antonio's ???? great topic for wake-n-bake ;)-

yortbogey

Veteran
and yet another one.............

One account holds that Reuben Kulakofsky (sometimes spelled Reubin, or the last name shortened to Kay), a Lithuanian-born grocer from Omaha, Nebraska, was the inventor, perhaps as part of a group effort by members of Kulakofsky's weekly poker game held in the Blackstone Hotel from around 1920 through 1935. The participants, who nicknamed themselves "the committee", included the hotel's owner, Charles Schimmel. The sandwich first gained local fame when Schimmel put it on the Blackstone's lunch menu, and its fame spread when a former employee of the hotel won a national contest with the recipe.[2]
Other accounts hold that the reuben's creator was Arnold Reuben, the German owner of the once-famous, now defunct Reuben's Delicatessen in New York,[3] who, according to an interview with Craig Claiborne, invented the "Reuben special" around 1914.[4] The earliest references in print to the sandwich are New York based but that is not conclusive evidence, though the fact that the earliest, from a 1926 edition of Theatre Magazine, references a "Reuben special" specifically does seem to take its cue from Arnold Reuben's menu.
A version of that story is related by Bernard Sobel in his book Broadway Heartbeat: Memoirs of a Press Agent and claims that the sandwich was an extemporaneous creation for Marjorie Rambeau inaugurated when the famed Broadway actress visited the Delicatessen one night when the cupboards were particularly bare.[5] Some sources name the actress as Annette Seelos, and note that the original "Reuben special" sandwich did not contain corned beef or sauerkraut and was not grilled; still other versions give credit to Alfred Scheuing, Reuben's chef, and say he created the sandwich for Reuben's son, Arnold Jr., in the 1930s.[2]

picture.php

only had the pleasure of the original KATZ.........in ......NYC.........once
BUT had the SAME version @ KATZ.....sister store in Austin TX.......
many...many....times.....

so......dam..................good........:jump:

eddie.saw

Great thread guys, this is my all time favorite, Good Ol' Parmanti Brother's from Pittsburgh, PA. They give you choices of many different meats, I usually go for the corned beef, capacoli, or pastrami. Each sandwhich is topped with fresh hand cut fries, a vinegar based cole slaw and tomato. Pure heaven between fresh italian bread. Since i've moved out of the state i've tried to make slaw that would closely match theirs and no luck, First thing i'm going to do when i go back to see family is get off the plane and head right down to 18th and smallman for the best sandwich i've ever had!

picture.php

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
omg...dont read this thread when your hungry!! lol
Those look yummmmmmy!!
Ill take em all :D

yortbogey

Veteran
I'M..............STARVING................and stoned

OK......what a the famous........Falafel Sandwich............

picture.php

LUV..............EM........:jump:

whodair

Veteran
im speechless, most of my favorites are up here already...po boys, reubens, pramantis and falafel...

sandwich is the perfect meal...all starting with the bread !!

do we include hot dogs and hamburgers ??

nyc dirty water dog

picture.php

shawarma

picture.php

roast beef and trimmings in old blighty ...

picture.php

picture.php

Agreed ^^ most of fav's are listed above, but as of late my fav sandy has been a simple BLT for breakfast... i eatum' 3 day's a week... terrible diet i know..:)

Center cut hickory smoked bacon...thin slice of organic tomato...crunchy I.burg lettus...toasted rye bread(my fav)...& a 'soft' fried egg (optional)... it's on... the day has started :)

20 min's after ^ ... my first 3 b's of the day...i simple perma grin has formed :D .. bring on the day...lol..

t2

...Do burritos count?
burrito.png

NC style pulled pork (Vinegar based sauce)
Detroit style coney
Chicago Italian beef

Damn this thread makes me hungry. Off to the local bbq!

yortbogey

Veteran
cum.........one .............cum............all.........

U'r mak'in my hungry............

G

guest456mpy

Hey Yort,
My absolute favorite is the Monte Cristo sandwich, which is basically a ham and cheese sandwich dipped in egg batter then fried to make a stuffed savory "french toast" sandwich. There are many variations of this sandwich, I'll take any..

picture.php

Not for the cholesterol challenged. I admit.

HighDesertJoe

COME ON PEOPLE NOW
Veteran
My favorite Sandwich is a Blond and a Red Head. (somebody was going to do it)
Second choice is all the Sandwiches mentioned above.
Third choice is whole wheat toast with Crunchy Peanut Butter and ether Dill Relish or a slice of a good Sweet Onion. MMMmmmMM Good eats

^^ i remember 1 like this

As a kid i loved whole wheat toast w/ peanut butter & a slice of tomato... may not sound so fancy but boy' i loved those pbt sandy's ... never forget the ol' fav's...:)

t2

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hanks-Po-Boy.jpg

Oyster Po Boy at Hanks Oyster Bar in Old Town Alexandria VA, i miss this sandwich. been a while.

ROJO145

Veteran
My..........................................Absolutely,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,FAVORITE Sandwich..............wOULD have..........................................................TO,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BEE........................A FREE one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:tiphat:

t.rex.

...Do burritos count?
burrito.png

WTF is that? Burritos are my favorite, but they don't look like this pile! No nacho cheese, please. . .:)

There is nothing greater than a fresh, simple New Mexico/Colorado breakfast burrito with a fresh tortilla, scrambled eggs, shredded hash browns, cheese, and plenty of SPICY GREEN CHILE! (no tomatoes!) and maybe some chorizo, bacon, etc. May not be a "sandwich" where you come from, but here in Denver, it is.