What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial Organics for Beginners

G

The only time I consider PH is for amendments vs. my water PH. If my amendments are going to be more acid then I use tapwater for water supply and if it leans more alkaline then I use RO or similar. Even at that not much thought is put towards PH and I don't own a single form of PH testing equip. I trust 100% in my micro-herds to handle the PH for me.

J.

G

BurnOne said:
buttcrack-
pH isn't a big factor in organics like it is in synthetic growing. Be sure your soil mix is full of humates from compost or worm castings. Use one of the soiless mixes I posted at the beginning of this thread and forget about pH if you use any of the nute recipes I posted below it.
My guano teas have been as high as 9 and my Pure Blend Pro as low as 4 and I never had any problems.
Burn1

ride on', burnone! :moon:

I'm planning a SOG (probably a week of veg) under my 400w, I'll be using the first soilless mix along with your first suggestion for food sources. The thing is, I dont have any bone meal or jersey greensand. I also don't have any Liquid Karma. The only bottled products I have are the three-part bio bizz line.

I'd like to save a few bucks and some effort if possible, so is the Liquid Karma wet-down skippable? Would tap water left out for a few days be ok?

In addition to that, how important is the bone meal if I'm not vegging very long? Is the Jersey Greensand necessary for supplementation, considering the bio bizz line is just molasses and kelp?

Does anyone know what I can expect in terms of a feeding schedule for a mostly-indica hybrid?

G

SensiWolf,
LK is a catalyst so it is not necessary but it will make a difference in end product.

Tap water left out dissipates Chlorine and Chloramine. That is prefferable if you use any kind of innoculants.

Bone meal isn't gonna do much for veggin except some nutrient to the growing rootmass; BM is more for flowering stage - BM = Phosphorus source.

Greensand is an organic source of calcium and magnesium; it is skippable if your media and solution have enough already. I think it also helps balance PH. (I don't use it - I might be wrong)

Each strain is different; some are heavy feeders and others are picky eaters. Thats why you'll hear the term "dialing it in", It means you know your plants habits but it takes time, patience and observation to do so.

J

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
SensimillaWolf-
The Liquid Karma is skippable. You could substitute it with worm casting tea and molasses, or just plain water. Leaving chlorinated water out in an open container like a five gallon bucket for a day or two will work fine.
You don't have to use bone meal in your soil. But, you will have to use a phosphorous nute during flowering. Jamaican bat guano is good. I'm not familiar with the Bio-Biz line but if it's organic and has a big second N-P-K number it should be fine.
If your Bio-Biz is molasses and kelp, you could use that instead of greensand.
The great thing about using blood/bone/kelp is the plant takes what it needs. You can use that recipe for all types of strains. Just add water.
Burn1

Last edited:

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
A note on Jersey Greensand,

Although it does contain K it is not an ideal source for MJ because it takes so long to release, it is used in farming as more of a soil conditioner to loosen the consistenty of the growing medium among other things.

If your planning on recycling your soil then it is a worthy addition but short of recycling spend your money on kelp meal instead, it is a superior K source for MJ plus it has growth hormones and micros galore.
:2cents:

Sub's

thanks for the help everyone, all my questions were answered well... I've got all my stuff now, I'll update ya when I get my new mommy going (which lady has yet to be determined) and finish up this round of NL. I feel like I know the basics, but haven't had a full grow where I was able to put it all together properly. :pointlaug

see you guys around :sasmokin:

G

nomore,
You'd have to check the package to see what it removes. I have a Britta 3 stage and I can use it for plants but it takes so damn long to get enough.

J.

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bubbling chlorinated water in an open 5 gallon bucket is cheap. Those Pur filters are expensive, and not necessary.
Burn1

BurnOne said:
I never made it to Mod over at OG. Just a lowly Mentor.

hiya Burn1 . . . we always thought you deserved to be at least a moderator . . . but in all honesty being a Mentor is probably the better gig! :woohoo:

BurnOne said:
But I get my kicks out of helping people learn about organic farming.

Burn1 is a wonderful individuals who ALWAYS seems to be giving great advice . . . any organic newbie that Burn1 takes "under his wing" is fortunate indeed!

BurnOne said:
I learned everything I know from Lavender Cowboy and Bongaloid. And oh yeah, some Birds along the way. Three of them. Ever heard of The Three Little Birds? :wave:

you are kind . . . TY

Suby said:
A note on Jersey Greensand,

Although it does contain K it is not an ideal source for MJ because it takes so long to release, it is used in farming as more of a soil conditioner to loosen the consistenty of the growing medium among other things.

If your planning on recycling your soil then it is a worthy addition but short of recycling spend your money on kelp meal instead, it is a superior K source for MJ plus it has growth hormones and micros galore.
:2cents:

Sub's

more good advice from another outstanding individual!

greensand is an interesting amendment . . . it actually has a few properties that we like . . .

but it's also a somewhat rare and non-renewable resource . . . and as Suby has said . . . it's a very slow source of K . . . only worthwhile to use if it's in a "soil building" exercise . . .

btw - as we further refine our indoor soil remixing techniques . . . we are seeing them more and more as an actual exercise in soil building . . . it's now our perspective that the "ideal" for an indoor garden is a carefully built and maintained renewable soil built from manures, vegetable dusts (kelp - alfalfa - etc.), rock dusts, and peat (or other similar suitable substrate) . . .

Thanks Pyrex & Burn1. I remember learning my organics from you a couple years ago on OG...

I think my tap water tastes funky so I already use a PUR filter. If I remember ahead of time I try and bubble my water but sometime I've been gone for a couple days and my plants need water asap. I don't always have the time to bubble so the PUR makes for a quick fix. Assuming it takes the right stuff out...?

hello burnone,suby,pyrex and all other followers of this thread.
i have a few questions myself if would like to help.
I am doing an outdoor grow this year and want to use LC's mix #2.
what else and amounts of other organic store bought goodies for N-P-K could i throw in this soil mix also without worrying about hurting the soil or plants and give the plants a longterm "food".

If i make a homemade tea brewing system for an alternative method of buying ferts, what are things and/or total mixes i can put in the bubble system that will stimulate my soil and plants without hurting both these things. Or where can i find organic tea mixes that are equivelent or better than store bought liquid ferts that anyone has used with good-amazing results. Most importantly i do not want to add something that can and will hurt my plants.
Ive heard with organics the more u put in the better the end result. yes? sounds about right to me. but if i add too much organic goodies will they cause nute lockup, any growth deficiencies, or work together to hurt my plants and soil in any way
Any tips or advice is well appreciated by all of us

Last edited:

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bennythejet-
Let me try to answer your questions one at a time because I don't completely understand what you are asking...

I am doing an outdoor grow this year and want to use LC's mix #2.
what else and amounts of other organic store bought goodies for N-P-K could i throw in this soil mix also without worrying about hurting the soil or plants and give the plants a longterm "food".

If I were growing outdoors and wanted long term food, I'd use recipe #1. I'd mix them as directed and put them where I wanted to grow. Then I'd wait a while to see if any animals (like dogs) wanted to dig into the bone meal. If nothing happens after a couple of weeks, I'd plant my seedlings into the mix. Making sure the seedlings were at least a month old so they could handle the nitrogen in the dried blood. You could substitute alfalfa meal for the blood or mix half of each.

If i make a homemade tea brewing system for an alternative method of buying ferts, what are things and/or total mixes i can put in the bubble system that will stimulate my soil and plants without hurting both these things. Or where can i find organic tea mixes that are equivelent or better than store bought liquid ferts that anyone has used with good-amazing results. Most importantly i do not want to add something that can and will hurt my plants.

This is the part I'm having trouble understanding.
See recipe #3, guano tea and kelp. But don't use both recipes. It'll be too strong. Pick one recipe and use as directed and it won't hurt your plants.

Ive heard with organics the more u put in the better the end result. yes? sounds about right to me. but if i add too much organic goodies will they cause nute lockup, any growth deficiencies, or work together to hurt my plants and soil in any way
Any tips or advice is well appreciated by all of us

No. Too much organic ferts will harm your plants just like any other fertilizer can. Too much nitrogen in any form will always burn your plants. Like I said before, use as directed.

Burn1

V

vonforne

Great thread B1. :D

There is alot of great information in here. Our little part of the world would not be the same without you.

V