What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wick System

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Been thinking of getting a few of these for some trials, I expect that you could get a good yeild from one of these stagger planted SOG like a field or SCROG. Likewise you cold get away with 4 of them in a 1.2m2 tent & probably not need to tend to the hand watering during periods of absence or during the beginning 3 weeks of veg. They would also be very handy for flushing pots in a hydroponic medium. You sure don't need blumats with this setup, just a ballcock valve & header tank & a tap & your plug & play.

They are pciced better than the auto pots & much more usefull in my eyes.

been looking into drip systems & manifolds Etc but I think that the wick will be ideal I have been bottom feeding for 10+ years & they like it.

This is applicable to no till gardens I would expect & with a smart pot one could have soillife. Either for topdressing or covercropping thay are ideal.

Not sure I can justifty bringing 4 of them home even tho it's christmas but i would like to. I just think that the only downside is the 'sophisticated watering setup' that would go against you in court. I kinda like the use of a watering can or hosepipe & this allows you to do that I suppose.

I'd like to see how a plant would go in this.

https://www.greenhousesensation.co.uk/standard-salad-planter.html

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I made some home made wick systems using 2 5gal/~20L buckets per plant. The soil bucket nested inside the reservoir.
I couldn't keep enough water to the plants once they reached about 3feet tall & began flowering as I was shy on resources. Doh!

growingcrazy

How about a SIP ( sub-irrigated planter)? Looks to be about what your looking for. You can automate them with a float valve for watering also.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How about a SIP ( sub-irrigated planter)? Looks to be about what your looking for. You can automate them with a float valve for watering also.

Branded as an Earth Box...
It's similar to what I described above but larger like rubbermaid tubs.

moonymonkey

the most imortant part for me about the earth box was it got the right amount of water,i changed the amounts of water till hit the sweet spot stalks got fat and big.the problem with earth box is it takes up water,if it need it or not,over watering,shown at the nursey theres was over watered and confirmed for the reason they stayed above.dont mean to sound like a record just want peeps to know,wat there dealing with and how to adjust.:dance013:

Last edited:

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This Earth box is a glorified GrowDoc or Soma Style. You wouldn't fill the res till the plant was confined to the pot & well on it's way..

The bed I posted is nothing like an earth box as it's a dedicated grow system with less cost & more useable height..

bismu

I feel that most people use too small of containers, weather it’s a sip system or not, try to plant into the biggest pot you can manage (from a clone). Shoot for a plant size that is not taller than the soil container is wide...