What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I want to be formal, but I'm here to party

Miraculous Meds

If you guys really wanna party, you need one of these.

picture.php

Miraculous Meds

I am just testing new lighting tech to find better efficiency and quality. I am planning on running 3 or 4 different lights in their own 4 x 4 or 5 x 5 tents for the testing. The main restriction will be height, as I only have 8' max to start with.

Also my questions pertaining to led, were designed to elicit an answer that might tell me if im looking at old tech, and not waste money that way.

With my limited height, I generally use no bigger than 600w bulbs. So right now im looking at the spyderxl, cause it can be placed 6 to 12" from canopy. Also im leaning towards testing a 600w de cmh. Plus a 600w de hps. Im thinking about the solis tek for the hps, since they have a system that is supposed to achieve 2.1 umol.

Im probably going to do 4 tests, so I have room for one more, or any suggestions would be welcomed.
thanks

I'm interested in seeing what you coming up with.

I'm still waiting for my girl to finish , so far it's smell is more pronounced, she's going on her 9th week this Saturday and coming down @ 10 weeks , also she had smell while vegging, we will see watch she comes up with , yield and taste wise .

Have you thought of taking the lenses off your URSA light??? What's putting you off ??? Heat or intensity?? I suggested this to another guy that had bleaching , I run the Citizen CLU48 1818 without lenses , this lights are very intense yet the act like a flood light .FSG

saitama

If you guys really wanna party, you need one of these.

View Image

This guy know what's up. :laughing::laughing:

I am just testing new lighting tech to find better efficiency and quality. I am planning on running 3 or 4 different lights in their own 4 x 4 or 5 x 5 tents for the testing. The main restriction will be height, as I only have 8' max to start with.

Also my questions pertaining to led, were designed to elicit an answer that might tell me if im looking at old tech, and not waste money that way.

With my limited height, I generally use no bigger than 600w bulbs. So right now im looking at the spyderxl, cause it can be placed 6 to 12" from canopy. Also im leaning towards testing a 600w de cmh. Plus a 600w de hps. Im thinking about the solis tek for the hps, since they have a system that is supposed to achieve 2.1 umol.

Im probably going to do 4 tests, so I have room for one more, or any suggestions would be welcomed.
thanks

Wow that sounds like quite the test. I do believe the spydrx uses S5 binned LM561Cs and another comparable diode when they don't have those. I'm not sure if they are using the S6 bins in their later models. I personally wouldn't pay for anything with the S5 diodes.

I have heard nothing but good things about those 630w DE CMHs and I would totally rock one if I hadn't already dumped so much money into LEDs.

That 600w HPS is very intriguing at 2.1umol/s. With HID, the Gavitas reign supreme and they are only at 1.87 umol/s, if my memory serves me correctly.

Please let me know if you start a thread for this -- I am VERY interested.

I'm still waiting for my girl to finish , so far it's smell is more pronounced, she's going on her 9th week this Saturday and coming down @ 10 weeks , also she had smell while vegging, we will see watch she comes up with , yield and taste wise .

Have you thought of taking the lenses off your URSA light??? What's putting you off ??? Heat or intensity?? I suggested this to another guy that had bleaching , I run the Citizen CLU48 1818 without lenses , this lights are very intense yet the act like a flood light .FSG

Sounds awesome man. I do want to try DWC some day but I would like to explore as much as I can with coco before I move on. Plus DWC scares me a little haha.

The URSA was too intense for my 6.5' tent and when I dimmed it down, mass took a hit. I have not thought about taking off the lenses, actually. I'll do that and take some measurements if I ever am able to get enough space to run that light again. Thanks for the suggestion!

saitama

Need some advice! I'm leaving on 11/21 and will be back on 12/3. I'm afraid they will be too big when I come back in 2.5 weeks. I have turned the light down considerably and brought it way close to them until I decide. They're getting around 100 umol/s right now. I'll need to keep the lights on 24/0 to avoid running my space heater...which I do not want to leave on while I'm gone.

The problem is that I'll need to slow the plants down as I believe they will be too big to flower in my 3x3 when I get back.

Should I...

1. Keep truckin at optimum light levels and flower when I get back on 12/3. If they're too big, I can ditch the tent but the room it is in is probably a 5x5 and I will have my larger reservoir in there as well.

2. Turn the light down to minimum and flower on 12/3

3. Flip right before I leave and hope my care taker will do his best. I will need to run a space heater for this setup as it will get too cold at night. I have an 'automated' fire suppression system (AFO ball) coming in case anything happens. Still makes me nervous even though my buddy will be coming by pretty often.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Pics for reference.

k8rptIhh.jpg

n6nD7Vih.jpg

F7lRBk8h.jpg

Last edited:
Hi saitama just read through the thread looking good so far brother. I love the name one punch is the best! My two cents and vote gos to option number one. Personally wouldn't want to under grow the room, could always tie em down again if they blow up while gone. Get that care taker of yours a nice Christmas gift and make sure they know whats up with the girls. Anyway just my 2 pents keep up the good work bro!

Hey bud , I'd go with option #3 ( as long as your caretaker has done this before ) in 4 days you can get them trained and set for upright growth , spread the limbs leaving only the top 4 inches on every branch , and tie them to the pots horizontal ( aim for all the tops to be even once alll is tied ) when you comeback It'll be 2 weeks of growth , clean up the bottoms again and full defol on day 21 .
PS , imho vegging should allow for the limbs to spread , not meant for upwards growth until in flower .

Miraculous Meds

Id flip them, if your care giver is able to care for them. the other alternative id do is top them, and train accordingly for when u get back, so you can keep solid growth with regular powered light. Also, I use an alternative light schedule when im ahead on veg size. I do 12 on, 5 off, 2 on, 5 off. Keeps them thick n lush, n out of flowering stage. Slows down stretch a bit.

mushroombrew

Veteran
Why are you worried about the space heater? If it has a decent thermostat you should be just fine.

The plants will grow way more in 2.5 wks flipped. Can your guy manage the stretch?

You might be better off vegging more. I don't think they are all that big. A good lollipop and tie down when you return and then flip?

saitama

Hi saitama just read through the thread looking good so far brother. I love the name one punch is the best! My two cents and vote gos to option number one. Personally wouldn't want to under grow the room, could always tie em down again if they blow up while gone. Get that care taker of yours a nice Christmas gift and make sure they know whats up with the girls. Anyway just my 2 pents keep up the good work bro!

Thanks bud. This was definitely the top of my list before I ready the other responses.

Hey bud , I'd go with option #3 ( as long as your caretaker has done this before ) in 4 days you can get them trained and set for upright growth , spread the limbs leaving only the top 4 inches on every branch , and tie them to the pots horizontal ( aim for all the tops to be even once alll is tied ) when you comeback It'll be 2 weeks of growth , clean up the bottoms again and full defol on day 21 .
PS , imho vegging should allow for the limbs to spread , not meant for upwards growth until in flower .

This is great advice. I'll go get some bamboo skewers today, cut them to length and secure them horizontally to the air pots.

Id flip them, if your care giver is able to care for them. the other alternative id do is top them, and train accordingly for when u get back, so you can keep solid growth with regular powered light. Also, I use an alternative light schedule when im ahead on veg size. I do 12 on, 5 off, 2 on, 5 off. Keeps them thick n lush, n out of flowering stage. Slows down stretch a bit.

Caregiver is able to care for them. He is a smart guy and is actually the person who got me into growing. However, he has only one grow under his belt but he did fill a 4x4 with one plant scrog, so I know he can train. It's mostly asking him to do that much work. Danke

You need to flip. Dimmin the light is just going to give you lanky hard to manage plants.

Roger that. I'm back to regular light. Thanks 40

Why are you worried about the space heater? If it has a decent thermostat you should be just fine.

The plants will grow way more in 2.5 wks flipped. Can your guy manage the stretch?

You might be better off vegging more. I don't think they are all that big. A good lollipop and tie down when you return and then flip?

The space heater just has me concerned because I don't trust them. I have the space heater on a zephyr 1 heating the room to 70F at night and 80-83F day. Thanks!

I'll talk to my caretaker today and find out how comfortable he is with having to train, mix nutes, etc. I know he can do it. Perhaps I will try to figure out a way to have him flip to 12/12 easily. Maybe put my second timer on a 12/12 schedule and have him just swap the timers and up the nutes a little.

I would like to thank everyone again for all their input -- I really do appreciate it all.

In the meantime, I have some quantum boards to put together.

oqNht8Kh.jpg

Last edited:

saitama

Flipped to 12/12. I'm not used to this 3000K light. It's so red. Just for fun, I messed around a bit and left the Helios in there and took some readings with all of them powered on. 840w of LED = 1600umol/s at the center and 1200umol/s outer....at 36" :smoky::smoky:.

Light proofed everything. Here goes nothing.

Thanks for all the help guys.

8Nr5daah.jpg

rfuHATJh.jpg

In this pic you can see how tiny the room is. The tent is to the left back corner as far as it can go and to the right of the tent there is about 18".

pCD8tsch.jpg

Last edited:

saitama

Rerouted my 8mm feed line with some superflex (love this stuff). Pic was taken on 11/20. The anticipation is killing me to see what they look like when I get back. Hopefully still alive.

5vgjLWyh.jpg

Last edited:

saitama

Caretaker was able to go and take a look today. I was a little worried about runoff or a runaway blumat and I'm happy to say that there was not a single issue. Pots were heavy and the girls were eating at a rate of about a drip every 6 seconds. They're hungry. Res ph is at a solid 6.1. I'm very happy with how stable the ph is with V+B and my 17ppm tap water.

They stretched quite a bit in the last 3 days since I left and we're seeing signs of preflowers.

Did I mention my caretaker's one and only grow was a single plant scrog in a 4x4? He gave them a nice tie down.

SPtext2.jpg

5j50PKU.jpg

aYgIbWV.jpg

kkjbdHu.jpg

3Q0ExBo.jpg

mushroombrew

Veteran
They are filling in nicely. Who's on the bottom left? I think she wants mag. Or maybe a touch overwatered while you were away?

Whatever looks like you will do great in there!

saitama

They are filling in nicely. Who's on the bottom left? I think she wants mag. Or maybe a touch overwatered while you were away?

Whatever looks like you will do great in there!

Thanks for the feedback! She's a GTH1. I think you are right, but I haven't had a chance to see with my own eyes. I get back there in 4 days. All these plants are on the same res, how do you recommend giving her a little more mag than the others? Also, what rate? I do add cal/mag to my water to .3EC (from 0EC).

saitama

Looking great. Your caretaker is doing a fantastic job.

Thank you! I agree, he is doing a great job. With that said, he told me himself he barely has to do anything and the res is still over 66% full! PH hasn't moved from 6.1, but I did ask him to bring it back down to 5.8. Hopefully it helps with the issues MB pointed out!