What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

the evolution of an organic gardener

Siskiyou

Veteran
In my experience
"tacoing" is often a response to a transpiration problem. I would check to make sure there isn't too much fan pointed directly at the plants in question or an excessive vapor pressure deficit caused by the exhaust fan. If air flow sucks moisture away from the plant faster than the plant can handle, an early response is to "taco" to slow transpiration (loss of water). One reason "tacoing"and an apparent calcium deficiency could go together is that both can be caused or made worse by a weak or compromised root system, in my experience.

Hello, Bmac1

Last edited:

Bmac1

Veteran
Good info siskiyou. I ordered some oyster shell flour and figured id get some basalt as well being that i was paying for shipping anyway. The guy is also throwing in some calcium bentonite and more bokashi bran for free. Really looking forward to getting this mix going and getting a good run in with my cmh now that the temps are better.

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
In my experience
"tacoing" is often a response to a transpiration problem. I would check to make sure there isn't too much fan pointed directly at the plants in question or an excessive vapor pressure deficit caused by the exhaust fan. If air flow sucks moisture away from the plant faster than the plant can handle, an early response is to "taco" to slow transpiration (loss of water). One reason "tacoing"and an apparent calcium deficiency could go together is that both can be caused or made worse by a weak or compromised root system, in my experience.

Hello, Bmac1

well it kinda comes and goes ,the tacoing
and the veg room doesnt really have an exhaust fan, i just leave the door open most of the time
my flower room has great turnover in the air bit i dont see it so much now

good day today - my worm man just dropped me 2.5# of worms
for my bins - and i gave him back his brute 45 gal container , which i discovered had a good 10 pounds of STILL Perfect ewc from 2 years ago - with LIVING worms still in it
his shit is amazeballs ima get a tea going tomorrow to celebrate

ive been listening to tads (icmember microbeman) podcasts and in one of thre coots episodes clack detailed his worm feeding
strategies
basically its your ruminant poo, horse in my case along with pretty much everything in an amendment mix for the soil
alfalfa meal, neem meal, lobster compost , azomite,de etc ,

give them your amendments and let em run through that for a year or so and you have castings that are fertilizer
he said why give em table scraps when thats mostly water (he didnt say this but i understood it as junk food) when ou can just gove them what the roots want in the first place

Bmac1

Veteran
Well I finally got the ingredients together and just need to wet the mix and let the composting begin. I will wet it first and then get a tea going on the weekend for it.

Everything but the kitchen sink mix:

3 cu ft promix hp
2 cu ft organic compost
1 cu ft organic ewc
6 cups of charged bio char
4 liters pumice
4 liters lava rock
2-3 liters vermeculite
3 cups each of crab shell meal, kelp flour, neem meal, alfalfa meal, feather meal, fish bone meal and dried molasses.
6 cups each of basalt, oyster shell flour, gypsum, glacial rock dust and granular humic acid.
1 cup each of azomite, calcium bentonite just for shits and giggles.
1.5 cups of lanbeinite
Roughly 400 grams of bokashi bran.

I will let this sit for 2-3 weeks and then let the games begin.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
1.5c of sul po mag is probably too much. 0-0-22, you're talking here. Not even 40 gallons of media. 2tbsp per 1.5 cu ft. I wouldn't add more than a 1/2c.

Too much K and you lock out Ca.

On the other side of that, you want a FAST nitrogen source with cannabis. Alfalfa, Crab, Feather, and even neem, are a bit more slow release and long term sources. While composting, I'd certainly consider some sort of living mulch - preferably a legume that can fix nitrogen in the soil. In those couple weeks of composting, they won't get big, and you can simply "till" them in when planting.

Looking forward to the grow!

dank.Frank

Bmac1

Veteran
Thanks for the feedback DF. Luckily I had not mixed everything into the pile yet and was able to scoop out about half a cup of the sul po mag so we are down to about 1 cup so hopefully that works well.

As for the nitrogen, i had tbough alfalfa was a quicker source but i will look into some legumes and see if I can get my hands on something quickly. I have some clover. And hairy vetch seeds that i will throw on the pile when i get it mixed today.

Bmac1

Veteran
So i got it all wetted and mixed and god damn, i need a bivger pool or mix smaller batches, lol. My back is feelin it.

It looks nice and i have some seedlings that are badly in need of a pot up from the solo cups. I am really debating just using the mix right away. I will get some of that clover and vetch going for a mulch as well.

G

Gr33nSanta

So i got it all wetted and mixed and god damn, i need a bivger pool or mix smaller batches, lol. My back is feelin it.

It looks nice and i have some seedlings that are badly in need of a pot up from the solo cups. I am really debating just using the mix right away. I will get some of that clover and vetch going for a mulch as well.

If you are not sure if its too hot for seedlings simply cut it, buy a bag of regular potting soil and mix half and half.

I don't even buy soil amendments anymore, vermicompost, perlite, vermiculite, done. EDIT : I do buy insect frass...

I have not had any problems with burning seedlings nor over feeding plants, nothing but healthy plants.

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
frank, is clover mulch of any benifit?
i just removed the mulch bed and planted clover in my flowerng pots cause im running low on n 4 weeks through a 9-11 week biker kush, im in a 2yo coots non reamended no till 10 gal pots
btw sorry for jacking bmac

this will be my third living mulch, first 2 were barleygrass
which im out of and had clover layin around

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
If you are not sure if its too hot for seedlings simply cut it, buy a bag of regular potting soil and mix half and half.

I don't even buy soil amendments anymore, vermicompost, perlite, vermiculite, done. EDIT : I do buy insect frass...

I have not had any problems with burning seedlings nor over feeding plants, nothing but healthy plants.
/
cmon man really, no batshit, fishsauce or fulvic/humics

lol jk, i still buy stuff but not judging you lol, my soils not perfect, and prolly never wil be
ill always be tinkering.

G

Gr33nSanta

/
cmon man really, no batshit, fishsauce or fulvic/humics

lol jk, i still buy stuff but not judging you lol, my soils not perfect, and prolly never wil be
ill always be tinkering.

all about genetics, my true keepers shine every rounds, whether the vermicompost was good or not. no batshit, no fish sauce, just a little insect frass to support a friend that makes it!

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn

Plant the clover and see how it does. I like clover as the canary in the coal mine. If the clover does well you are likely fine to put seedlings in it. You could also use the SubCool technique where you fill the bottom of the container with the hot mix and the top is base soil.

Bmac1

Veteran
So i turned the mix just now and wow, there is a good amount of heat coming out of the pile. The mix looks good and I am anxious to get things rolling. I remembered that i still have maybe a cubic foot of my old mix in a tub in the back so i think i will mix that with the new mix to get the seedlings into 1 gals from the solo cups as they are looking hungry.

Bmac1

Veteran
It may be a gamble boyd but i do not have 4 weeks to spare. I need to get a run in before the end of December so i can clean up for fire inspections. I will cut it a bit for these seedlings and give them a couple weeks in 1 gal pots. That would give close to 4 weeks with the mix sitting before i fill up the 5 gal root pouches for the flower tent.

Fingers crossed.

Siskiyou

Veteran
So i turned the mix just now and wow, there is a good amount of heat coming out of the pile. The mix looks good and I am anxious to get things rolling. I remembered that i still have maybe a cubic foot of my old mix in a tub in the back so i think i will mix that with the new mix to get the seedlings into 1 gals from the solo cups as they are looking hungry.

I have been using slurries of either soil/water or EWC/water quite a bit lately. This is one situation where I find them useful. A few ounces of a rich soil slurry can really help a hungry plant when transplant has to be put off a bit. I use a solo cup filled from 1/2 to almost full of soil and top off with water and stir. Depending on whether there is room and need, I either leave the solids behind or add them to the container being watered. Make it as rich or lean as you want.

I have been using slurries inoculated with a bit of EM-1 (one to two tablespoons per gallon of water) on occasion as well.

Bmac1

Veteran
After turning the mix just now, the heat is all but gone. I have been unintentionally torture testing my seedlings and will pot them up tomorrow. I will also get a tea going to kick them off. Also have a line on a local blueberry cut that i will likely throw in the mix.

Latest posts

Latest posts