What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis Act

What I've gathered that will affect growers and users for personal consumption.

Possession

8 (1) Unless authorized under this Act, it is prohibited

(a) for an individual who is 18 years of age or older to possess, in a public place, cannabis of one or more classes of cannabis the total amount of which, as determined in accordance with Schedule 3, is equivalent to more than 30 g of dried cannabis;

18+, public place, 30 g or less or its equivalent is OK

How they define dried cannabis

dried cannabis means any part of a cannabis plant that has been subjected to a drying process, other than seeds.

SCHEDULE 3
Equivalent Amounts
Item Quantity that is equivalent to 1 g of dried cannabis
1 Dried Cannabis - 1g
2 Fresh Cannabis - 5g
3 Solids Containing Cannabis - 15 g
4 Non-solids Containing Cannabis - 70 g
5 Cannabis solid Concentrates - 0.25 g
6 Cannabis Non-solid Concentrates - 0.25 g
7 Cannabis Plant Seeds - 1 seed

Better not have more than 30 seeds in a public place!

(b) for an individual who is 18 years of age or older to possess any cannabis that they know is illicit cannabis;

How they define illicit cannabis

illicit cannabis means cannabis that is or was sold, produced or distributed by a person prohibited from doing
so under this Act or any provincial Act or that was imported by a person prohibited from doing so under this Act.

How they define cannabis

cannabis means a cannabis plant and anything referred to in Schedule 1 but does not include anything referred to in Schedule 2.

SCHEDULE 1

1 Any part of a cannabis plant, including the phytocannabinoids produced by, or found in, such a plant, regardless of whether that part has been processed or not, other than a part of the plant referred to in Schedule 2

2 Any substance or mixture of substances that contains or has on it any part of such a plant

3 Any substance that is identical to any phytocannabinoid produced by, or found in, such a plant, regardless of how the substance was obtained

SCHEDULE 2

1 A non-viable seed of a cannabis plant
2 A mature stalk, without any leaf, flower, seed or branch, of such a plant
3 Fibre derived from a stalk referred to in item 2
4 The root or any part of the root of such a plant

Any seeds purchased before this act is passed will be OK to use in the future

(c) for a young person to possess cannabis of one or more classes of cannabis the total amount of which, as determined in accordance with Schedule 3, is equivalent to more than 5 g of dried cannabis;

How they define a young person

young person means

(a) for the purposes of sections 8, 9 and 12, an individual who is 12 years of age or older but under 18 years of age; and
(b) for the purposes of any other provision of this Act, an individual who is under 18 years of age.

Even the kids get a little bit!

(d) for an individual to possess, in a public place, one or more cannabis plants that are budding or flowering;

No bringing your prized lady to the farm exhibition

(e) for an individual to possess more than four cannabis plants that are not budding or flowering; or

4 in veg at a time, however...(see below)

(f) for an organization to possess cannabis.

No Co-Ops/Clubs

Distribution

9 (1) Unless authorized under this Act, it is prohibited

(a) for an individual who is 18 years of age or older

(i) to distribute cannabis of one or more classes of cannabis the total amount of which is equivalent, as determined in accordance with Schedule 3, to more than 30 g of dried cannabis,

Giving some away is OK

(c) for an individual

(i) to distribute one or more cannabis plants that are budding or flowering, or

You could probably sneak a week or more without anyone noticing, strain dependant of course

(ii) to distribute more than four cannabis plants that are not budding or flowering;

Or you can give 4 away in veg no problem

Production

12 (1) Unless authorized under this Act, it is prohibited

(a) to obtain or offer to obtain cannabis by any method or process, including by manufacturing, by synthesis or by using any means of altering the chemical or physical properties of cannabis; or

(b) to alter or offer to alter the chemical or physical properties of cannabis by the use of an organic solvent.

Definition of organic solvent

(3) In paragraph (1)(b), organic solvent means any organic compound that is explosive or highly or extremely flammable, including petroleum naphtha and compressed liquid hydrocarbons such as butane, isobutane, propane and propylene.

No shatter folks

Cultivation, propagation and harvesting — 18 years of age or older

(4) Unless authorized under this Act, it is prohibited for
an individual who is 18 years of age or older to cultivate, propagate or harvest, or to offer to cultivate, propagate or harvest,

(a) a cannabis plant that is from a seed or plant material that they know is illicit cannabis; or

(b) more than four cannabis plants at any one time in their dwelling-house.

4 plants, in veg or flower(not both), per household

Cultivation, propagation and harvesting — dwelling- house limit

(5) Unless authorized under this Act, if two or more individuals who are 18 years of age or older are ordinarily resident in the same dwelling-house, it is prohibited for any of those individuals to cultivate, propagate or harvest any cannabis plants if doing so results in there being more than four such plants being cultivated, propagated or harvested at any one time in the dwelling-house.

Live with 3 other buddies? 4 plants, 1 each, at any one time

Cultivation, propagation and harvesting — 18 years of age or older — without authorization

(6) Unless authorized under this Act, it is prohibited for an individual who is 18 years of age or older

(a) to cultivate, propagate or harvest, in their dwelling-house, any cannabis plant that is more than 100 cm in height, not including any part of the plant that is not normally exposed to the air;

1 meter in height I get, but when is the plant not exposed to air?

(b) to cultivate, propagate or harvest any cannabis plant at a place that is not their dwelling-house or to offer to do so;

No helping friends, or even offering to help

Definition of dwelling-house

(8) For the purposes of this section, dwelling-house, in respect of an individual, means the dwelling-house where the individual is ordinarily resident and includes

(a) any land that is subjacent to it and the immediately contiguous land that is attributable to it, including a yard, garden or any similar land; and

(b) any building or structure on any land referred to in paragraph (a).

Got a hundred acres and a barn? 4 plants

I will try and do a breakdown for the commercial production and sales side soon.

Rider420

I also think it's 4 plant no matter what stage they are in.

Too bad for them I cant count when I don't feel like it. :biggrin:

Then why does section 9, Distribution c for an individual state that you can not give away any flowering plant c1 but can give away four vegetating plants c2? Four flowering plants and unlimited number of clones. Its like making wine before you add the yeast its just grape juice when a plant is in vegetative state it does not have active amounts of THC its only after you flower or add the yeast does the plant or grape juice become a controlled drug.

troutman

Seed Whore
Then why does section 9, Distribution c for an individual state that you can not give away any flowering plant c1 but can give away four vegetating plants c2? Four flowering plants and unlimited number of clones. Its like making wine before you add the yeast its just grape juice when a plant is in vegetative state it does not have active amounts of THC its only after you flower or add the yeast does the plant or grape juice become a controlled drug.

I'm not worried the rules. But you should. I was told I was crazy once.

So I'm going to plead insanity if caught with lets say 4,000 plants. :laughing:

Rider420

I'm not worried the rules. But you should. I was told I was crazy once.

So I'm going to plead insanity if caught with lets say 4,000 plants. :laughing:

Jokes on you dude there is no limit on how many hemp plants you want to grow! Go for ten thousand as long as the THC level is below the limit like with all cannabis in a vegetative state your not breaking any law in Canada. But you already knew that right?

Rider420

Here is how the law breaks down: Possession "8" what you are allowed to have on you in public an once and up to four plants in vegetative state but none that are flowering while out and about. Distribution "9" what you are allowed to give away, its also an once and four plants in vegetative state but none that are flowering.

If you were only allowed four plants total why have a provision for giving away four plants but only in a vegetative state? And why make the distinction between flowering and nonflowering plants if you are only allowed four plants in total? Some ones math does not add up. :)

stonedfly

an individual who is 18 years of age or older to cultivate, propagate or harvest, or to offer to cultivate, propagate or harvest,

(a) a cannabis plant that is from a seed or plant material that they know is illicit cannabis; or

seems pretty straight forward to me... 4 plants total per dwelling. they do not say "budding plant"

they make a distinction between the two types of plants so 1. you cannot walk around town /display/drive budding plants 2. you can legally drive home from obtaining some clones.

in your personal dwelling there is no distinction between a veg or flowering plant.

at least this is how I read it... I'm still waiting on my girls script in the mail, but honesty ill be breaking the plant limits anyways no matter if I was legal or not ..

Gmack

Jokes on you dude there is no limit on how many hemp plants you want to grow! Go for ten thousand as long as the THC level is below the limit like with all cannabis in a vegetative state your not breaking any law in Canada. But you already knew that right?

What the fuck are you on about now? Yes vegging plants are illigal. No one has gotten cultivation charges dropped becasue their plants were in veg not flower.

Last edited:

Gmack

I have already broken it down for people, in great detail...(see above)

Yeah, yours.

The act is clearly stating what it states, 4 plants, in veg or flower, not both.

Why are you so insistent on giving out blatant lies as legal advice?
You men like four post up he tells us ANY amount of vegging plants is currently legal? Lol this guy need less of whatever drugs he's on. Or way more

troutman

Seed Whore
What I'm hoping will happen in due time:

1. Is that the World will take notice and follow suit.
  2. People will see Cannabis isn't the Gateway drug finally and that the limit of 4 plants will be lifted.
BTW: This could be why Snoop Dog really wants to be Canadian now. LOLZ

askim69

I think the bill states that these 4 plants also are gonna come with inspections, licensing fees, and all kinds of bullshit. You should read the powers of the inspectors. This is only federal to. One you ad the provincial laws that will be involved plus all there fees and bs added, it will be MORE expensive to grow at home then buy it from lp. Thats the idea though...

I think the bill states that these 4 plants also are gonna come with inspections, licensing fees, and all kinds of bullshit.

You thought wrong.

You should read the powers of the inspectors.

I did, here's where you're wrong:

PART 7
Inspections

Warrant required to enter dwelling-house

(7) In the case of a dwelling-house, an inspector may enter it only with the consent of an occupant or under the authority of a warrant issued under subsection (8).

What you will need authorization(s) for:

Cultivation, propagation and harvesting — 18 years of age or older — without authorization

(6) Unless authorized under this Act, it is prohibited for an individual who is 18 years of age or older

(a) to cultivate, propagate or harvest, in their dwelling-house, any cannabis plant that is more than 100 cm in height...

(b) to cultivate, propagate or harvest any cannabis plant at a place that is not their dwelling-house or to offer to do so

askim69

How was i wrong? Without authorization you cant grow. Who authorizes you? How does one get authorized? Also, you need read the sections about tele warrants and refusals to let the inspectors in. Also, read the section where they can refuse you authorization FOR ANY REASON.

Rider420

How was i wrong? Without authorization you cant grow. Who authorizes you? How does one get authorized? Also, you need read the sections about tele warrants and refusals to let the inspectors in. Also, read the section where they can refuse you authorization FOR ANY REASON.

You need the same authorization inspections and approvals for growing cannabis "up to four flowering plants" under the new law as you need now to brew beer or wine now, NONE!:dance013:

Rider420

seems pretty straight forward to me... 4 plants total per dwelling. they do not say "budding plant"

they make a distinction between the two types of plants so 1. you cannot walk around town /display/drive budding plants 2. you can legally drive home from obtaining some clones.

in your personal dwelling there is no distinction between a veg or flowering plant.

at least this is how I read it... I'm still waiting on my girls script in the mail, but honesty ill be breaking the plant limits anyways no matter if I was legal or not ..

Sorry but if they only wanted you to take home clones it would only be in section 8 covering what you are allowed to have on your person in public. However section 9 states what you are allowed to give away including four nonflowering plants. Proving section 9 is for people who want to give away clones. Also the part of the act you are referring to is after they have made the distinction between flowering and nonflowering plants. A caveat explaining the legal difference between flowering and nonflowering plants would be nice as well as how many nonflowering plants you can have, but most people would not know what this difference means and would believe you could harvest nonflowering cannabis plants the same way you do flowering plants.

Buddha1

Veteran
IMO...The only time any inspection or concern will be raised over a 4 plant maximum is when the LAW/LEO is investigating other issues at the home in question and accidently discovery the overage.

IMO...There is no way they can other wise control or inspect such a massive undertaking of 4 plants in even 10% of Canada's house holds. I have never heard of a inspection at a legal medical grow and that has existed for 15 plus years and have substantially more than 4 plants.

So grow as many plants as u want...just don't get caught by getting drunk and stupid or fighting with your ol'lady or neighbours.
As long as your discrete...youll be Kool...:dance013:.

Peace...B.