What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Zamaldelica + Malawi small screw-in LED grow

ttugamer

Awesome grow and really great smoke reports. Now that they've all had a chance to cure for a while how are you liking them? I'm looking into getting Malawi for the crazy potency but now I'm going to have to get zamaldelica as well to try and find something trippy. Do any give you that effect where your vision seems to slow down and move in frames or snapshots?

spugg

Final words

Final words

Many months have gone by and quite likely no one is going to read this last post, but this whole thing is unfinished without a final verdict.

All in all this grow has been a tremendous success. An old friend I hadn’t seen for many years came over the other day and we smoked some of the Zamaldelica. Being restricted to street quality most of the time, he was overwhelmed. Couldn’t believe weed like this even existed.

To summarize on each plant after a 6 months cure:

As the least great of the great four, the Malawi ranks at the bottom of the pyramid. As a plant in the tent, it yielded surprisingly much despite its puny looking flowers, but the final product is the least appealing one. It smells little, tastes like nothing, and the effect is strong and introspective but doesn’t deliver the special something which the others have, each one in its own way. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still an excellent smoke. It has that elite feeling to it that I do not get with strains like AK48, to give just one example. But next to its siblings, it’s kind of … meh. I’m thinking it probably wasn’t the best representation of that particular strain. After all, even with ever so careful breeding, genetics still to a large extent are a lottery, and you can’t win every time.

In third comes the Panama Haze. It grew with extreme vigor, produced enormous flowers and yielded a ton. The final product has a distinct look to it with its large, frost-covered calyxes and purple colours. The smell is unspectacular, but the taste is all lemon and as smooth as vanilla cream. It too produces a more introspective high, less strong than the Malawi’s, but very special. It has a milky, nebulous quality which I now associate with Hazes – like being lost in a, well, haze – and at higher dosages and with the right set and setting it produces trippy effects.

The second rank is occupied by the Zamaldelica. Inside the tent it is a dream come true. It proves vigorous and Sativa-like but with tight internodes, huge flowers, an amazing flower to leaf-ratio, and no hermaphroditism. It is forgiving when you make mistakes and has long, but still reasonable flowering times. As a well-cured smoke it is the best overall experience. The smell is as intense as can get, a wonderful bouquet of blueberry and sweetness, the taste is a thick, full mélange of incense and pepper, and the high is soaring, stronger than the Malawi, calm, clear and all in the head. No confusion, no couch lock, no hangover - but the later is true about all these strains.

But it is the Purple Haze Malawi which claims the throne, and this it accomplishes with its unique effect and only with that. Because after all, even if all those other aspects are important for a pleasing experience, it still is the high which it is all about, isn't it? As a plant, the PHxM is a hermie monster. It isn’t particularly vigorous either, and the only positive seems to be its moderate flowering time, but that only comes about as you have to cut it down when it starts to pollinate the whole room. Hell, even the name of the strain seems strangely cluncy and awkward. The bag appeal is so-so. Nice frost-covered nugs, but next to no smell, little and unspectacular taste; and to add insult to injury, it has a propensity to mold. I lost a whole jar and one hanging plant to the dredd white fuzz. But all of that is forgotten (quite literarily:dance013:) when it kicks into gear! It’s warm, happy, joyous Haze surrounds you, and it is stronger, much so, than all the other strains. Imagine coming home to a warm fire on a cold winter’s night after a long and arduous journey. It takes you to that special place where you want to be, always.

So what happens next? Spugg’s still hanging in there, still growing. This time the tent is crowded from the onset. Another set of the same four ACE strains is in there, albeit from new beans. Along with it, some freebie Mendocino Purple Kushes which came with the last order. And some of the offspring of that Purple Haze Malawi that hermied on me, to be specific: PHM x Zamaldelica and PHM x Panama Haze. Oh, quite curious about those!

So, I want to thank everyone who followed this thread, every single one you who contributed with help and friendly advice, and especially you, Dubi, for those unparalleled genetics. It is the work which future generations will build on, the stuff I probably will be raving about when the time comes and I'm that old hippie going on about the good ol' days when the weed was so much better and the jokes were so much funnier. When things start to get interesting, I will update about those PHM-crosses on the dedicated Purple Haze Malawi thread. This thread, however, is now closed and may be put in whatever archives this forum has.
Over and out.

deepwaterdude

Excellent tie-up to a fascinating grow, Spugg! Kudos on the results.
You showed a lot of us how well the screw ins produce, such ridiculous and cost effective yields for us small timers who don't like the thowies;) Also excellent strain report that'll cause a certain shortage of PH x Malawi for years to come. All three of my Panama x Zamaldelica hermied, though not convinced it was the strain, and the two I've tried are great smoke. Plus some beans to play with:0) Anyway, awesome to be able to watch the show and read along. Enjoy the jungle, dwd

orfeas

Veteran
Many months have gone by and quite likely no one is going to read this last post, but this whole thing is unfinished without a final verdict.

All in all this grow has been a tremendous success. An old friend I hadn’t seen for many years came over the other day and we smoked some of the Zamaldelica. Being restricted to street quality most of the time, he was overwhelmed. Couldn’t believe weed like this even existed.

To summarize on each plant after a 6 months cure:

As the least great of the great four, the Malawi ranks at the bottom of the pyramid. As a plant in the tent, it yielded surprisingly much despite its puny looking flowers, but the final product is the least appealing one. It smells little, tastes like nothing, and the effect is strong and introspective but doesn’t deliver the special something which the others have, each one in its own way. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still an excellent smoke. It has that elite feeling to it that I do not get with strains like AK48, to give just one example. But next to its siblings, it’s kind of … meh. I’m thinking it probably wasn’t the best representation of that particular strain. After all, even with ever so careful breeding, genetics still to a large extent are a lottery, and you can’t win every time.

In third comes the Panama Haze. It grew with extreme vigor, produced enormous flowers and yielded a ton. The final product has a distinct look to it with its large, frost-covered calyxes and purple colours. The smell is unspectacular, but the taste is all lemon and as smooth as vanilla cream. It too produces a more introspective high, less strong than the Malawi’s, but very special. It has a milky, nebulous quality which I now associate with Hazes – like being lost in a, well, haze – and at higher dosages and with the right set and setting it produces trippy effects.

The second rank is occupied by the Zamaldelica. Inside the tent it is a dream come true. It proves vigorous and Sativa-like but with tight internodes, huge flowers, an amazing flower to leaf-ratio, and no hermaphroditism. It is forgiving when you make mistakes and has long, but still reasonable flowering times. As a well-cured smoke it is the best overall experience. The smell is as intense as can get, a wonderful bouquet of blueberry and sweetness, the taste is a thick, full mélange of incense and pepper, and the high is soaring, stronger than the Malawi, calm, clear and all in the head. No confusion, no couch lock, no hangover - but the later is true about all these strains.

But it is the Purple Haze Malawi which claims the throne, and this it accomplishes with its unique effect and only with that. Because after all, even if all those other aspects are important for a pleasing experience, it still is the high which it is all about, isn't it? As a plant, the PHxM is a hermie monster. It isn’t particularly vigorous either, and the only positive seems to be its moderate flowering time, but that only comes about as you have to cut it down when it starts to pollinate the whole room. Hell, even the name of the strain seems strangely cluncy and awkward. The bag appeal is so-so. Nice frost-covered nugs, but next to no smell, little and unspectacular taste; and to add insult to injury, it has a propensity to mold. I lost a whole jar and one hanging plant to the dredd white fuzz. But all of that is forgotten (quite literarily:dance013:) when it kicks into gear! It’s warm, happy, joyous Haze surrounds you, and it is stronger, much so, than all the other strains. Imagine coming home to a warm fire on a cold winter’s night after a long and arduous journey. It takes you to that special place where you want to be, always.

So what happens next? Spugg’s still hanging in there, still growing. This time the tent is crowded from the onset. Another set of the same four ACE strains is in there, albeit from new beans. Along with it, some freebie Mendocino Purple Kushes which came with the last order. And some of the offspring of that Purple Haze Malawi that hermied on me, to be specific: PHM x Zamaldelica and PHM x Panama Haze. Oh, quite curious about those!

So, I want to thank everyone who followed this thread, every single one you who contributed with help and friendly advice, and especially you, Dubi, for those unparalleled genetics. It is the work which future generations will build on, the stuff I probably will be raving about when the time comes and I'm that old hippie going on about the good ol' days when the weed was so much better and the jokes were so much funnier. When things start to get interesting, I will update about those PHM-crosses on the dedicated Purple Haze Malawi thread. This thread, however, is now closed and may be put in whatever archives this forum has.
Over and out.

Nice reading! Keep sativa-hazing mate!

:tiphat:orfeas

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi spugg,

A grow diary is not properly finished without a good smoke report after a few months of curing the harvest. :) Yours are quite accurate and i concur with you in your opinion about the different sativa strains you grew.

Especially regarding effects, i also believe Zamaldelica and Purple Haze x Malawi deliver the best quality uplifting, positive, stimulating effects among these strains, while pure Malawi and Panama Haze provide a much more introspective, less social psychoactivity.

Zamaldelica and Panama Haze have without any doubt the potential to offer the best, more complex and refined terpene profiles, but you can also find plants with great terpene profiles in latest Malawi generations (fruity pheno) and also in Purple Haze x Malawi (if you like and appreciate the darker, woodier, red wine and black liquor aromas).

It has been a joy to follow your thread spugg, thank you very much! ;)

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Awesome grow with all the info you could ask for concerning the plants grown. It's really nice to see indoor grows by a good grower.

Latest posts

Latest posts