What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tikal outdoors in the north

ValleyKush

Veteran
Hey gg, Im at 48 and feeling the drought. I have 3 panama, 3 bangi, 1 tikal, 2 voileta and other various sativas and none of them have truely started to flower other then my jabruba from bodhi which has aruba as a father which seems to have dutch photoperiod sensitive genetics. Look into hybrids from hell, great dutch early sativas with great potency. Havent found anything with a really nice super sativa high yet but they are still interesting in their own way.

gorilla ganja

Hey gg, Im at 48 and feeling the drought. I have 3 panama, 3 bangi, 1 tikal, 2 voileta and other various sativas and none of them have truely started to flower other then my jabruba from bodhi which has aruba as a father which seems to have dutch photoperiod sensitive genetics. Look into hybrids from hell, great dutch early sativas with great potency. Havent found anything with a really nice super sativa high yet but they are still interesting in their own way.

Hello ValleyKush, Have you tried those strains before at your latitude?
Keeping my fingers crossed for a long warm fall this year. I have looked into HFH but never ordered yet. Looking for that nice sativa high as well, but growing outside at our latitude makes it super hard for those sativa's. Thanks for the info and i wish you the best for the rest of your season.
Peace GG

ValleyKush

Veteran
Havent ran any of them and dont expect much. I am using them for breeding stock to try to get something that can handle our climate and will be crossing the ace gear with my quickest finishers. Hfh has some awsome genetics from what I have tried so far. Esbe (head of hfh) hasnt been around on the message boards and seems to be backing away to some extent so it might be worth grabing some while they are still around.

Thanks for the kind words and I'll keep you posted on what works out the best for me.

gorilla ganja

Well I forgot to take pics of Tikal this last visit. It seems to have stopped growing. Probably doesn't like the cooler night time temps. No flowers yet on the Bangi or Tikal as of September 10. I love the strength and structure of the Tikal, to bad it doesn't have a chance to finish. Maybe I will try and breed it with an auto in the future.

Bangi Haze

picture.php

MadMac

far beyond driven...
Look into hybrids from hell, great dutch early sativas with great potency. Havent found anything with a really nice super sativa high yet but they are still interesting in their own way.
all dutch hybrids are crap! growed them last 25 years in and outdoor... every single one...
only BigBud worked 3 years fine then the quality was gone... you grow super looking weed that has no or a light effect... also everybody have bad germination rates with these dutch crap last years... seriously they sell the last crap to make money! I know the people behind Greenhouse and SensiSeed... we bought every year there direct and had good connections.... haha if you know whats up behind the scenes than you would never buy seed again from dutch breeders... here we say pfui pfui
just my 2 cent...
that's why i'm here and i never was so successful last 25 years with my growing than with ACE gear!

M.:tiphat:

gorilla ganja

all dutch hybrids are crap! growed them last 25 years in and outdoor... every single one...
only BigBud worked 3 years fine then the quality was gone... you grow super looking weed that has no or a light effect... also everybody have bad germination rates with these dutch crap last years... seriously they sell the last crap to make money! I know the people behind Greenhouse and SensiSeed... we bought every year there direct and had good connections.... haha if you know whats up behind the scenes than you would never buy seed again from dutch breeders... here we say pfui pfui
just my 2 cent...
that's why i'm here and i never was so successful last 25 years with my growing than with ACE gear!

I agree Ace has some wonderful genetics. But far northern growers will have a tough time finishing most strains outdoors. Above 45 degrees latitude really limits the strain choice. Although you seem to have a bit longer season than me and a few weeks can make all the difference in the North. It's not that our season is not long enough, the daylight is just to long. By the time the plants start to flower the temps are dropping fast. Would love to find a sativa or sativa dominate strain that can trigger with 16- 17 hrs of light. The sativa landrace strains never see that much light.
Peace GG

MadMac

far beyond driven...
yes gg that's true with the sativas...
but as you have saw the early Malawi is the hope for future...
you can get them in the breeders pack:
Purple Malawi (P2): This is the mother of our Violeta hybrid. It's a colorful rare pheno found in the first Malawi feminized release. It's more compact than the green Malawis, but still displaying an excellent branching, and accepts the Nitrogen better. It's an interesting pheno due to its shorter flowering time of 10-11 weeks, for having a unique balsamic/fruity terpene profile, for showing a better resistance against cold and mildew, and of course for its intense purple and reddish colors at maturation. It's not so strong like killer Malawi parental plants, but without any doubt the effect is also very interesting, kinder and not so agressive. This is the line where you can look for the more colorful Malawis, with shorter flowering times and better adaptability to colder climates.

and if you can find a early bird Malawi like me this year i think thats the sativa you are looking for :) well i would ask dubi in terms of order...
btw. there was a early Erdpurt male close to the Malawi and some flowers where open so maybe i get some seeds... i send you a pm if so...
greetz

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi gorilla ganja,

I'm just hoping for a not so cold autumn there. Sorry for my comment in my first post in the thread, i didn't know you were so up north.

Our strains have been mainly developed for latitudes between 37º and 43º, of course all of them can be finished closer to the equator but from our catalogue only PCK and ErdPurt will have the chance to finish properly at your 53 latitude.

gorilla ganja

Well some bad news. The Bangi haze and Tikal never finished at 53 north. The Tikal never even started to flower and I never got final pics of them. The Bangi haze were just starting to flower when animals and frost did them in. I'm thinking the Bangi need about 12 hrs of daylight.
( well really 12 hrs of darkness) to begin to flower. At my latitude this doesn't happen till about the 3rd week of September same time the first frost usually hits. I thought I would finally update here just to show my results even if they were not good so we may all learn.
I don't know how MadMac did so good with his grow at 51 north. I was really impressed with his results.
Starting with clones would maybe speed things up a week or so. I also may have had to much nitrogen which could also delay flowering. Also to be fair none of the 6 different sativa dominate strains I tried finished completely.
Anyways a few final pics

rodent damage on Bangi haze

picture.php

Bangi Haze frozen

picture.php

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
I'm very sorry to hear it gorilla ganja,

Guess your latitude is too up north and your weather/season too cold to finish them properly.

Bangi Haze has been harvested by others growers until latitude 47ºN, some even around 50º ... depending also on the season and micro climate, but maybe 53ºN was too much for them. Tikal can be harvested in 43-45º or lower latitudes without problems.

Next time consider to try strains more adapted for your latitude like ErdPurt, it starts the flowering when the photoperiod has 14 hours per day or lesser, more suitable for your cold location with long photoperiods in late summer.

gorilla ganja

I'm very sorry to hear it gorilla ganja,

Guess your latitude is too up north and your weather/season too cold to finish them properly.

Bangi Haze has been harvested by others growers until latitude 47ºN, some even around 50º ... depending also on the season and micro climate, but maybe 53ºN was too much for them. Tikal can be harvested in 43-45º or lower latitudes without problems.

Next time consider to try strains more adapted for your latitude like ErdPurt, it starts the flowering when the photoperiod has 14 hours per day or lesser, more suitable for your cold location with long photoperiods in late summer.

Thanks Dubi, I was probably hoping for to much with sativa dominate strains around here. I knew Erdpurt would be much better for my climate but was trying to stay away from indica strains.
Cheers GG

Biosynthesis

Veteran
I am at around 43.N and I got some decent smoke grown on my balcony by friend. Could have went longer for more calyx swell. Rains made harvest come. Is what I smoke during the day.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Very nice looking Tikal flowers Biosynthesis :yes:

I'm glad to know is your chosen smoke for the day! :)

G_Cole

Bangi at 50°N

Bangi at 50°N

I grew Bangi Haze guerrilla style at 50°N, mountain micro climate. I chopped it on 28th of November and still not finished. I can't recommend the strain for northern growers. It needs lots of sun and a long season.

It smelled pungent while growing tho after 4-6 months curing it started smelling very fresh, sweetish and exotic, like a lemon candy with hints of piss. Smoke was very tasty, tho the high was weak due to bad conditions during flowering (cold and rain).

The strain seems to be very uniform, grew two plants and both looked pretty much the same except one had a bit more compact buds. They are tall plants with upwards growing side branches.