Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Vertical / Colosseum Growing > Vertical first attempt

Thread Title Search
Click for Sweet Seeds!
Vertical first attempt Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-25-2010, 01:28 AM #31
Aerohead
space gardener

Aerohead is just really niceAerohead is just really niceAerohead is just really niceAerohead is just really niceAerohead is just really niceAerohead is just really niceAerohead is just really niceAerohead is just really niceAerohead is just really niceAerohead is just really niceAerohead is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlove View Post
I will definately be following this because I am about to set-up something similar in a tent, I've never done dwc what is the controller that they are hooked up to? You mentioned you dim your ballast for your eyes, I just got some welding glasses as recommended on this site and they definitely help. Amazon welding glasses shade 5. Good luck man looks good.
The controller is very simple it's just a bucket with a very small fountain pump that moves water through a 1/4 inch line to the center of the chain of buckets. This allows me to check or change the water without having to disturb the plants. The buckets are connected by 1/2 inch lines so I can PH them all at once. There are no sprayers in the buckets this is straight DWC very simple, IMO, easier than soil and better growth. Let me know if you want to try dwc and need suggestions setting up the buckets.

Yes the welding goggles are a good suggestion and are still needed even with the ballast dimmed, that sucker is bright!!
Aerohead is offline Quote

Old 12-28-2010, 07:31 AM #32
Devlove

Devlove is on a distinguished road
I would love to see a step by step on how to make/use them if you have a link. Thanks.
I don't know if you've checked out the vertical dwc in this section but I am going to use a screen on my buckets like him.
Devlove is offline Quote

Old 12-29-2010, 07:30 AM #33
Aerohead
space gardener

Aerohead is just really niceAerohead is just really niceAerohead is just really niceAerohead is just really niceAerohead is just really niceAerohead is just really niceAerohead is just really niceAerohead is just really niceAerohead is just really niceAerohead is just really niceAerohead is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlove View Post
I would love to see a step by step on how to make/use them if you have a link. Thanks.
I don't know if you've checked out the vertical dwc in this section but I am going to use a screen on my buckets like him.

Sorry no tutorial I just kinda made it up as I went along, bought the buckets and lids with net pots at my local hydro store. Also bought two 1/2" fittings for each bucket and installed them as low as possible and connected them all together in a ring shape.

I did have to install a very small fountain pump to force the water to exchange between the buckets. I used a small pump to make it simple no chiller, float valves, ect. Idea is just to keep the water moving enough to get an accurate PH from the control bucket.

Time for an update, nothing too interesting yet just waiting for the clones to explode. They are bushing out nicely but I have two that are lagging a little bit in size, hope they catch up soon.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:34 AM #34
Aerohead
space gardener

Having some issues with the clones:

I am seeing signs of overwatering, slow growth in the clones and this shouldn't be. Water temp is 69F EC .8 PH 5.5 (stable) and plenty of air bubbles, upgraded to an 80 watt commercial air pump run through micro diffusers.

They came in 4" rockwool cubes (much to my disappointment) I HATE rockwool. I have seen it work well for flood and drain but I have been using aero or dwc in hydroton for the last 20 years and have little experience with rockwool.

My theory is that even though roots are out of the baskets and in the buckets a significant mass of the roots are still in the rockwool cubes. I believe these roots are starved for o2 because the rockwool is holding the moisture rather than exchanging it with the system.

My water level was previously right to the bottom of the pots, I just increased it to half way up the pots in an attempt to force the rockwool to exchange water.

Any opinions what to do here are welcome, should I just ride it out until more root mass is in the buckets or attempt to remove some of the rockwool? If I had it to do over again, I would have taken hours to pluck the clones out of the rockwool to begin with.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:48 PM #35
Aerohead
space gardener

Raising the water level to submerge part of the rockwool cubes seems to have worked, 2 days later and the clones have perked up and are showing signs of growth again.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:27 PM #36
ChaosCatalunya
5.2 club is now 8.1 club...

ChaosCatalunya has a brilliant futureChaosCatalunya has a brilliant futureChaosCatalunya has a brilliant futureChaosCatalunya has a brilliant futureChaosCatalunya has a brilliant futureChaosCatalunya has a brilliant futureChaosCatalunya has a brilliant futureChaosCatalunya has a brilliant futureChaosCatalunya has a brilliant futureChaosCatalunya has a brilliant futureChaosCatalunya has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maj.Cottonmouth View Post
To hang my carbon filter I put up a couple shelf brackets and used some nylon strapping that I tied knots in to hang it from a board, put screws in each end of the board so it can't slide off.

I had the straps from when I hung it from hooks but if I were to do it again I think I would staple the nylon strapping to the board. HTH

If you use a cradle of Bungee [rubber] rope, you isolate the vibrations of the fan from the ceiling, handy for stealth or if you or a neighbour is trying to sleep nearby.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:40 AM #37
Aerohead
space gardener

I made some changes to the room, decided to veg with the 400w CMH, also changed out my commercial 80w air pump for two 4 outlet GH air pumps, much quieter, the 80w pump was loud enough for neibors to hear and that's no good.

Now that I look at the pic, I think I am going to lower the CMH a little bit and keep it running through the whole grow.
I am thinking I can veg longer this way and let those girls get taller since I can use both lights. I plan to kick on the 600w when I flip to see what I can get out of 6 plants and 1kw.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:50 AM #38
Aerohead
space gardener

So, I'm off to a slow start, been dialing the system in as I go so it's constantly changing.
I plan to clean up all of those messy cords and air lines soon, I will also need a larger fan to blow on the plants before flower.

I am thinking about swappping out the 5 gal control bucket with a 25gal tub because I am going to grow these girls larger than originally intended.

Here is a pic, (for reference the HPS is running at 400w) above the 400w CMH, I will bump the HPS to 600w as soon as the plants get a little bigger.

Here is one of the clones, they are bushy, can't wait to see them in a month...

Old 01-06-2011, 10:39 AM #39
Maj.Cottonmouth
We are Farmers

Maj.Cottonmouth has a brilliant futureMaj.Cottonmouth has a brilliant futureMaj.Cottonmouth has a brilliant futureMaj.Cottonmouth has a brilliant futureMaj.Cottonmouth has a brilliant futureMaj.Cottonmouth has a brilliant futureMaj.Cottonmouth has a brilliant futureMaj.Cottonmouth has a brilliant futureMaj.Cottonmouth has a brilliant futureMaj.Cottonmouth has a brilliant futureMaj.Cottonmouth has a brilliant future
It is looking great man, nice work.
Maj.Cottonmouth is offline Quote

Old 01-06-2011, 12:43 PM #40
Dopeboy668

Dopeboy668 will become famous soon enoughDopeboy668 will become famous soon enoughDopeboy668 will become famous soon enough
Wow, your right those are some bushy clones. What are you gonna use for support when they get taller an wanna lean over?
Dopeboy668 is offline Quote