What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

transplant in coco coir - help

Hello everyone! I started my first coconut ride, I have already grown in soil but never in coconut. I have read many guides, I have read a beautiful guide on the Italian forum, I was inspired by this for this tour. In this guide, the grower starts in a 0.4 liter pot and transports several times to a maximum double or triple size pot. Its sequence is 0.4 liters, 1 liter, 3 liters, 6 liters, 11 liters or 15 liters. The grower uses plastic pots, uses coconut and 50/50 perlite. I want to do the same thing but using tissue pots, I started in a 0.4 liter pot of tissue, I would like to transfer first into a 1 liter pot, then 2, then 4, then 8 and then 16, all in pots of fabric. In this way I should always have an excellent root / substrate / oxygen ratio to push the plant hard. I plan on doing one plant in mainlining so I have a lot of time to vegetate. How about?

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
A clarification, I will irrigate at high frequency with an automatic irrigation system DTW

In that case you don’t need to be in a pot bigger than 3 or 6 litres

Vegging to fill the pots in bigger pots is a waste of time and money unless you’re growing trees

Check out Dan’s Buds ....

ridoo

as said by Bush Dr in coco you don't need such big containers...

and you don't need about transplanting so much, in coco the roots use the place you give then die dissolve and new ones grow, use of enzymes for eat dead roots and it will works even faster...

and i don't know about how many plants you will have but transplanting them from 6 liters containers with an automated water stuff in the middle... just sound as a nightmare to me :)

Hi guys! thank you all! I haven't told anything about my project.
- growbox: 60x60x160
- light: spider farmer sf1000 100watt
- extractor: quiet line 100 cubic meters per hour
- filter: activated carbon
- vases: fabric
- substrate: coco professional plus & perlite 50/50 cane
- fertilizers: advanced nutrients ph perfect sensi grow & bloom A + B, advanced nutrients b52, vodoo juice, overdrive and big bud.
- humidifier
- 2 fans (1 to cool the LED and 1 for the plant)
- automatic irrigation system
- 5 and 20 liter tank
- air pump and porous stone
- grid under pot
- basin under the pot to recover (and throw) the run off
- strain: green royal queen seed ice cream
In my space I want to make only a plant grown with the original mainlining method of nugbuckets, weeks of vegetative estimated from 7 to 10, I want to reach half the height possible and then send in fioriutra, being a single plant I would like to obtain as much as possible so vegetate as long as it takes to have thick branches and heavy buds. I have read all the guide articles on the coco for cannabis website and about coconut transplants, they recommend starting in a 0.4 tissue pot, reaching the third node transplanting into a 2 liter tissue pot, and reaching the sixth / seventh node transplant into the final pot (11 liters for automatic irrigation and 20 liters for hand irrigation), the same says the groweasy website (very reliable) but I had also read the guide of this Italian guy who made many decantings by pushing hard his plants. What could be the best solution? I repeat that I would like to fill the space I have with only one plant, so it must be pretty thick. thanks

ridoo

hum...

with only one plant I would start in the biggest container and make a SCROG

or some serious bending to optimise light surface

my 2 cents

hum...

with only one plant I would start in the biggest container and make a SCROG

or some serious bending to optimise light surface

my 2 cents
I also thought about scrog but it's much more stressful, mainlining is convenient, easy and profitable, isn't it?

ridoo

i guess it depends what you experience the most

this mainlining thing looks good, it's like very controlled "super cropping", dunno, whatever, if you give proper care it will work fine

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
50/50 isn't hydro or coco. Both of which are fed differently. Many from soil backgrounds run into problems this way. If you want anything in coco it's expanded clay. However the mix isn't the best for recycling. Coco should really be used on it's own.

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
50/50 isn't hydro or coco. Both of which are fed differently. Many from soil backgrounds run into problems this way. If you want anything in coco it's expanded clay. However the mix isn't the best for recycling. Coco should really be used on it's own.

Good advice ^^^^

Hi guys! thank you all! I haven't told anything about my project.
- growbox: 60x60x160
- light: spider farmer sf1000 100watt
- extractor: quiet line 100 cubic meters per hour
- filter: activated carbon
- vases: fabric
- substrate: coco professional plus & perlite 50/50 cane
- fertilizers: advanced nutrients ph perfect sensi grow & bloom A + B, advanced nutrients b52, vodoo juice, overdrive and big bud.
- humidifier
- 2 fans (1 to cool the LED and 1 for the plant)
- automatic irrigation system
- 5 and 20 liter tank
- air pump and porous stone
- grid under pot
- basin under the pot to recover (and throw) the run off
- strain: green royal queen seed ice cream
In my space I want to make only a plant grown with the original mainlining method of nugbuckets, weeks of vegetative estimated from 7 to 10, I want to reach half the height possible and then send in fioriutra, being a single plant I would like to obtain as much as possible so vegetate as long as it takes to have thick branches and heavy buds. I have read all the guide articles on the coco for cannabis website and about coconut transplants, they recommend starting in a 0.4 tissue pot, reaching the third node transplanting into a 2 liter tissue pot, and reaching the sixth / seventh node transplant into the final pot (11 liters for automatic irrigation and 20 liters for hand irrigation), the same says the groweasy website (very reliable) but I had also read the guide of this Italian guy who made many decantings by pushing hard his plants. What could be the best solution? I repeat that I would like to fill the space I have with only one plant, so it must be pretty thick. thanks

Hi guys! I would like to ask you for advice. Many people tell me not to mainline in coconut, it takes too long and coconut is not made for long grows. what would you do with my setup? how many plants and in which pots?

jayd

ive had good results before just 1 plant in a tent that size. top and bend the plant. top at 4th/5th node and bend them down as they grow. try find a utility shelf for your tent and use as a scrogg net. i used a 15 ltr air pot under a 200watt led and ended up with nearly 10 oz from the 1 plant both times ive grown a single plant in my spare tent of roughly the same size as yours. 8/10 week veg depending on the strain

ive had good results before just 1 plant in a tent that size. top and bend the plant. top at 4th/5th node and bend them down as they grow. try find a utility shelf for your tent and use as a scrogg net. i used a 15 ltr air pot under a 200watt led and ended up with nearly 10 oz from the 1 plant both times ive grown a single plant in my spare tent of roughly the same size as yours. 8/10 week veg depending on the strain

Thank you very much! I'm heartened to hear about this. I prefer to make a single plant done well, follow it and feed it like a child rather than raise 3 or 4 plants and not give it enough space and attention. I think I will use as a definitive vase a vase of fabric of 11 or 15 liters with automatic watering, perhaps better 11 since in coconut less is better. You say I could get good results even with a mainlining? Scrog scares me a little

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
A 2x2 tent, to me, is 1 or 4 plants. I suggest 4 might be better, as you get to smoke 4 different things. There is always a chance that a new plant will be really poor, and doing just one plant means your stuck with it. With 4 plants, 3 of them can be trained into the space of a 4th poor one. It's also an experience thing, you get to see a few plants grow, not just one. So you advance faster in your quest for knowledge. With the expectation of further grows you should keep a couple of cuttings from each because they will be the best plants you have ever grown. At least two will be keepers that you have learnt to grow. I hear you want a long veg to grow thick branches but the truth is many plants are not capable, and will instead grow like weeds filling a space rapidly. At 25w a foot it's lit ok, but only ok. They will go looking.

I'm not sure where the potting up guidelines come from. They seem to be using huge puts. Leaving 2L at 7 nodes? I'm still in them 0.4s. If you go too big it gets very wet and infrequently watered. Only a hot environment and very healthy plants would survive that advice. I think a single plant won't need more than 10L or 4 plants could have 2L each. One watering a day at that size. I'm using 3-4L of coco in that space and they get through a day, just about. So get two feeds a day. 200w. 25-30c.

I would think about dangling a 100w equivalent LED lamp in each corner. That's about 50w more led, when you get a couple of weeks into flower and they're packing it on. That 50% more light, positioned where the illumination was getting a bit thin, may increase your yield by a large margin. 30-40% perhaps.

I don't think coco has a plant size limit, though compaction is certainly a thing. Using a net for training takes the weight off though. Or pebble mixes can be useful I guess. Flood/Drain is where it happens the most. I don't think you need concern yourself with it. I have seen compaction but not suffered any consequences with ~10oz plants

Thank you so much for the advice. I also know I don't have a great light, as soon as I can I want to buy another panel equal to the one I have, reaching at least 200watt, then over time maybe buy a third or even a fourth. Regarding variety, it is true that if I made four plants I could smoke 4 different things and if you had told me a few months ago I would certainly have done it, but then, then I smoked ice cream and fell in love, I also tried crosses with ice cream but none it's as good as ice cream! I love fucking ice cream, it's good, strong, it makes you feel like Superman, it tastes like the best in the world in my opinion, so what I want to do is ice cream ice cream and more ice cream, better and better and better. I thought that making only one plant was better for the light I have, I thought that distributing the light to 4 plants was shit, also for this I thought of making only one. If I were mainlining I would use a tomato ring to make the branches sit and produce more, I would also have less plant material so I thought the light was better used. Am I wrong? There is a shop nearby that sells Californian cuttings, if I made 4 plants I would choose the cuttings because they are less unpredictable, but now due to COVID it is closed so we will talk about it later. I'd like to take a cutting of those and have a mother so that I never have to buy again, but now I don't have the space and money to buy another Serra to keep the mother, as soon as I can I will.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
OOoo 50w a foot. That's some serious lighting. 40w seems nice, so perhaps you can run them around 80% and prolong their life while aiding efficiency.

Making me want to try ice cream now. I imagine it's like white rhino or a relative.

I thought you would aim to fill your tent with some sort of canopy. The number of root systems supporting such a canopy isn't that relevant. 1 plant or 4 I wouldn't expect to tell the difference from above. It's only at 16 plants that things change much, as lollypopping becomes viable.

It's great that you can buy cuttings. When it gets back to normal you have the option to just flower 9-16 of them and be chopping down every couple of months without any difficulty getting more. Self sufficiency just isn't so important to you looking forwards. Here, if we flower off something with taking cuts, you can't rely on getting it back from somebody.

If you are working from seed, then 1 plant is the winner due to maturity. 4 just won't be old enough at flowering time with a foot each.

Roadblock

Ive never seen any problems from having Perlite in the mix although 50/50 is a bit high I think more like 20p/80c, depends on pot size and quality of the coco, a little perlite just makes drainage that bit better in the beginning once they established its not needed or if you know how to ease them in and not keep them too wet kicking off its not needed.

I think the biggest problem guys have that are new to coco is drowning starts in full coco that holds a lot of water, build that root system by making them look for water and then when they hit that spot in the first couple of weeks where they will love multi feeds.

I agree straight coco is best just be careful of how wet it is early.

ridoo

That is why beginners need to read the DJM thread on the sticky section, he explain this very clearly :

no root ball, watering every second day
root ball established, daily watering
and then multi feed if possible

:good: