What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Which ballasts for MH are best?

COS

So I've been using cmh ballast since I started growing last couple years.

But I'm running into a problem with some plants I veg are very lanky and cmh bulbs I cant find more than 4000k.

So I've ordered 10000k and 6000k MH bulbs to help keep them short in veg but will continue to use the 1000 watt cmh 3100k in flower.

So what brand of MH ballast are best to buy I dont want anything with less than a 3 year warranty. Also I worry about RFI that it may interfere with my HAM equipment because even the cmh will cause RFI when they first come on than it stops after about 30 mins so that's no too bad.

St. Phatty

So I've been using cmh ballast since I started growing last couple years.

But I'm running into a problem with some plants I veg are very lanky and cmh bulbs I cant find more than 4000k.

So I've ordered 10000k and 6000k MH bulbs to help keep them short in veg but will continue to use the 1000 watt cmh 3100k in flower.

So what brand of MH ballast are best to buy I dont want anything with less than a 3 year warranty. Also I worry about RFI that it may interfere with my HAM equipment because even the cmh will cause RFI when they first come on than it stops after about 30 mins so that's no too bad.

it's cool that you can sort of measure the EMI with your Ham radio.

I have some OLD ballasts with new bulbs.

Comparing that to some LED panels I built ... jury is out. I don't know which works better.

All I know is - if you buy a used WORKING metal halide ballast on Craigslist, if you give it new bulbs & a decent reflector, it will provide good light for Veg.