What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Two 400 watt hps lamps or single 600 watt hps in 1x1m tent

Red October

Hey guys, just looking for a bit of advice on the best way forward on lighting for my 1x1m grow tent.

I'm currently running one 400 watt hps lamp and I'm not too happy with the coverage I'm getting, I was planning on running mainly easier to grow hybrids in there and do my sativa plants outdoors but I'm starting to lean more towards doing some of the shorter flowering mostly sativa plants in the grow tent.

I have a very strong extraction fan Maximum air flow: 380 m3/h and the room the tent is in is well insulated and stays very cool, I have a very good oxygen exchange system too so I don't think heat is going to be much of an issue especially in winter and I'm used to running my lights opposite to day time if needed, but would appreciate any feedback if going with a single 600 watt lamp is best or should I add either a secondary 400 watt to the system or should I add 4 x 85watt CFL lights with just the singular 400watt. Just trying to get a better idea what would be best for more heavy sativa plants and sufficient light intensity

I already have an additional 400 watt lamp on hand, so it makes it more convenient but I'd rather put in the extra bit of effort if it will make a big enough difference. Not going led as they cost way too much where I live especially with our current exchange rate.

Thanks gents

Last edited:

Red October

Thanks man, that's something I didn't consider and should give sufficient penatration, I could even do an online setup with the 400 watt lamps the combined output and relative proximity could also give enough lumens for light penatration.

I'll go look at some output efficiency charts, might get a better idea

Red October

Yeah it looks like a 600 is a winner winner, better lumens per watt production than the 400watt. So let me rather not mess around and just get the upgrade

Red October

Thanks man and yeah the 600 is the best way forward, will also upgrade the tent to a 1.2x1.2m just so it won't be so restrictive with the vertical lights and taller plants, figured I could do it with just the 1m tent but it will leave very little space around the light and will probably have too many instances of burning them. Might add a 250w MH lamp for the beginning and end of flowering if I can keep the heat under control, so we shall see.

TahoeTops

Thanks man and yeah the 600 is the best way forward, will also upgrade the tent to a 1.2x1.2m just so it won't be so restrictive with the vertical lights and taller plants, figured I could do it with just the 1m tent but it will leave very little space around the light and will probably have too many instances of burning them. Might add a 250w MH lamp for the beginning and end of flowering if I can keep the heat under control, so we shall see.

The bigger your grow space is, the easier it will be to control temps. Maybe think about a MH conversion bulb for the 600. But if you can add some MH to your HPS room, your plants will definitely love it!

How about posting a few pics for us?

Green81

Veteran
600 works great in 1m tent. Maybe a dimmable would be good. Middle flower run at 600, then you could run it cooler for veg and end of flower at 400watts.

G81

G

Second the dimmable digital 600. My lumatek dials from 250-660 watts, has intelligent start-up and the ballast runs cooler then a mag. And 5 years warranty.
But if I had a second 400 I'd just throw it in. Cos I'm a cheap bastard like that. But I really need cooltubes where I'm at for HID lights. It's too hot. And I grow horizontal.
But Im about to purchase a 480watt quantum with Samsung lm301h diodes and meanwell driver for a $689AUD. It's for a 1x1 but it has a dimmer.

Red October

Here's the only one so far, taken about a week ago. Had a pretty rough start, went and bought some "fancy"soil at the one shop close by, worst crap ever!! filled with weeds and I suspect it brought in the fungus knats I saw after I replanted them. Plants weren't growing too fast, suspect it's due to the very cold weather we're having but went and applied a full strength dose of fertilizer and the leaves stared reacting badly and got fertilizer burn that looks like light bleaching.

Didn't trust the soil or fertilizer so repotted them again into slightly bigger pots with soil I'm used to and they bounced back after a couple of days, was also water logged a bit as I flushed to get the fertilizer out.

This is the first grow I'm doing in about 7 years, didn't have any beans so I bought up a whole bunch of seeds from small breeders here in SA. 6 of them have turned out to be autoflowering, they weren't meant to be autoflowers:bigeye: and the rest just look like indica injected creations, most of the guys here seem to follow the American market type seeds more about the smell and look, autoflowers have become very popular for some reason too but it set me on a good path as the stuff I'm getting from my suppliers has dropped in potency so much that I have to grow for myself again and I'm enjoying it, got some very nice seeds lined up so I'll rather get a bigger tent once this round is finished.

Attachments

• IMG_20200811_210758.jpg
    IMG_20200811_210758.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 39

Red October

600 works great in 1m tent. Maybe a dimmable would be good. Middle flower run at 600, then you could run it cooler for veg and end of flower at 400watts.

G81
I was thinking to do a vertical grow like koondense suggested and have the 600 watt hang directly in the centre of the tent as it allows me a bit of the best of both worlds for the sativas. I had a think about keeping just the 1m tent but I'm a bit worried about the radiant heat from the 600 watt and if I'm just going make things more difficult for myself and less enjoyable, the tents aren't too expensive and I have just enough space in my storeroom for the 1.2m.

Red October

Second the dimmable digital 600. My lumatek dials from 250-660 watts, has intelligent start-up and the ballast runs cooler then a mag. And 5 years warranty.
But if I had a second 400 I'd just throw it in. Cos I'm a cheap bastard like that. But I really need cooltubes where I'm at for HID lights. It's too hot. And I grow horizontal.
But Im about to purchase a 480watt quantum with Samsung lm301h diodes and meanwell driver for a $689AUD. It's for a 1x1 but it has a dimmer.
definitely on the dimmable ballast, will see how I do with temps this coming summer in the room but I don't think I'll any problems. One day I'll try out LEDs but I've always loved that orange hps glow:groupwave:

Gry

DHF came up with a configuration for use with the PPK that Delta9 developed.
Was for 10 x 10 canopy in room that is apx 12 by 12.
Called for 4 600 Watt lights in the corners and a 1000 Watt unit in the center.
Gentleman speak of multiple points of light hitting each bud.
Never had the space to go with the 10 x 10, so have always gone with a smaller
set up. None the less, the results always amaze me. The concept of multiple points
of lights delivers well.
If one is ever bored and would like to kill some time productively,time spent on DHF's old posts would be time well invested.
I grow with more heat than I would like, DHF has been an invaluable source of information which has allowed me to to do so, and produce a usable end result.

In short, DHF specs deliver in extreme heat.
My digi ballasts all have dual fans

Sunshineinabag

Hey guys, just looking for a bit of advice on the best way forward on lighting for my 1x1m grow tent.

I'm currently running one 400 watt hps lamp and I'm not too happy with the coverage I'm getting, I was planning on running mainly easier to grow hybrids in there and do my sativa plants outdoors but I'm starting to lean more towards doing some of the shorter flowering mostly sativa plants in the grow tent.

I have a very strong extraction fan Maximum air flow: 380 m3/h and the room the tent is in is well insulated and stays very cool, I have a very good oxygen exchange system too so I don't think heat is going to be much of an issue especially in winter and I'm used to running my lights opposite to day time if needed, but would appreciate any feedback if going with a single 600 watt lamp is best or should I add either a secondary 400 watt to the system or should I add 4 x 85watt CFL lights with just the singular 400watt. Just trying to get a better idea what would be best for more heavy sativa plants and sufficient light intensity

I already have an additional 400 watt lamp on hand, so it makes it more convenient but I'd rather put in the extra bit of effort if it will make a big enough difference. Not going led as they cost way too much where I live especially with our current exchange rate.

Thanks gents

Look for cooltubes and eye hortilux hps bulbs....IMHO 600 fits 3 X3 x7 area to perfection but seeing neg pressure in the tent once it's zipped on and running is a good indicator of a smooth system:smoke out:. Meant to say cooltubes work good for vertical grows

Red October

Look for cooltubes and eye hortilux hps bulbs....IMHO 600 fits 3 X3 x7 area to perfection but seeing neg pressure in the tent once it's zipped on and running is a good indicator of a smooth system:smoke out:. Meant to say cooltubes work good for vertical grows
I got real lucky with these fans I have, picked them up at a carboot sale for probably $15 for two, turned out to be really nice Italian made fans.

I have to use a voltage regulator as I can't find speed controllers rated high enough to handle the amps. Running one at a 1/4 power and my tent walls concave in within a few seconds after the door in zipped. Will look at the cool tubes, anything that helps is great.

bs0

Go LED! Spider Farmer SF2000 (or equivalent HLG or Mars fixture) should do well in that. No reason to start with HPS anymore, too hot and too much energy use.

G

Go LED! Spider Farmer SF2000 (or equivalent HLG or Mars fixture) should do well in that. No reason to start with HPS anymore, too hot and too much energy use.
Just want to add that you can get theses fixtures at a fraction of the price from the factory search 'meijiu' or 'Kingbrite' on alibabaexpress, these guys manufacture HLG products, you can just buy them direct.

Heres a vid, this guy brought both companies 240w quauntumboards and compares them. They grow big buds. Cost $158USD delivered.
https://youtu.be/NJ0GPfByVyI

mack 10

Veteran
2x 400w will kill it.
they are very under rated these days
but ive had some great success years back with 400w hps.
much less heat than a 6 in a small space.
the plants seemto love it.
(especially indica hybrid)