What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kali China Breeders Pack

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I got a free bean (fem) when I ordered my Red Leb (regs). She is on the planting list for Dec 2021. Red Leb Aug 2021.

rizraz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Whew. Finally. I get to start working on this thread again! Here are pictures of the ladies at flick from my overflow flowering room. Excuse the dirt on the floor I broke my shopvac's hose and haven't gotten the replacement in the mail yet. I am not a dirty grower.

picture.php

View image in gallery

rizraz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Okay so after a long delay we have here a final update on the Kali China Breeders pack. I'm going to do separate reviews of each of the lines I've finished. As a side note my phone's camera broke at the end of this grow so I have very few flowering plant photos and a bunch of finished bud shots.

Line 21 F5​
General Notes: This line was overall the fastest of the entire breeders pack. She was the second most compact, only some of the S1 of the same line were smaller/slower in overall size. The F5 was the most consistently lavender or purple plants. This line and the S1 was the only two that turned purple by week 2 or 3 of flower. This was the most consistent in the grow with almost all the plants sharing the same general shape, color, and smell.

Chemotype: The f5s were likely the most complex of the entire grow. Her smells had weird notes of flowery incense, cream soda, tropical fruit, and something savory akin to cooking onions. Some like onion juice, violet juice, mango juice and heavy cream. Weird while these smells are the most unique they aren't the strongest smelling out of the batch with the flowery S1 having a slightly stronger overall bag smell.

Finish Cured Product Notes: This was likely the most consistent when bagged up. While the colors were wild throughout they formed a very uniform looking finished bag. The smell is without a doubt the weirdest mix of sweet sour and savory on this line.

Flower Smoke Report: The f5 was the most interesting effects of the batch. I named it fast relax. Clear mind, relaxed muscles, slightly uplifting but not quite into the euphoria area. The flavor the line was likely the most interesting. Instead of getting all those weirdly sweet notes in smell you get nothing but cream and savory. Something like mango cream and whiskey. You get a slight note of the flower but nothing like the S1 of the 21 line.

Rosin Smoke Report: Whew, this shit knocked me into the dirt. The "fast relax" of the flower at higher doses become more like a fast nap. The smell of the Rosin has a more pronounced sour savory side much like the smoke of the flower. My guess is the minor volume of flowery type terps are also highly volatile and any heat dissipates them quickly.

Line 21 F4 S1
General notes: This line was very stable as well in general plant size and shape. I did have the "S1 C" plant of mine turned out to be a runt with almost zero increase in size at the onset of flowering. Really interesting plant that I suspect leaned close to the original Yunnan. Most of this was variable in color to the extreme from bright greens to neon purples to almost midnight purple. Really fun plants to grow due to the visible variety. Same as the F5 most of the darker plants were dark by week 3 with a single plant who turned from green to purplish to black who started to express colors as soon as she flowered.

Chemotypes: This line was all weird savory flower smells. Almost no tropical or creaminess. Barely sweet, way more into the weirdly sour cooking meat/onion smells topped with overwhelming violet smells. This and Temple Flo are the only strains I've encountered with this level of flowery terps. Weirdly addicting to smell.

Finished Cure Product Notes: While looking but kind of amazing. Huge bag appeal to the informed customer. To the uninformed it might look like a bunch of different types flower all thrown in a bag together. The brightness of the expressed colors of the this line and the f5 cannot be expressed enough. Every. Single. Flower. Color. Was. At. 11. Just really stunning to me personally. Also the resin contrast on some of the darker flowers was insane. I'm thinking a higher presences of CBG might be lending a hand in helping those glands stand out.

Flower Smoke Report: Really interesting post cure flower smoke. Strangely the smoke reminds me of Aviation Cocktails. A kind of gin like herbal flavor with a powerful dose of sour and violets. Not savory or sweet but entirely in the weird, hard to translate to other things sour category. Stunning smoke. Very meditative and relaxing smoke, an interesting mix of tranquility and cerebral. The post cured smell did turn the nose down on the flower smell some, only to replace it an almost oniony sour note.

Rosin Smoke Report: What a cool thing to press. I'll do another batch soon but when pressing the whole flower you get a lovely purplish beige rosin, really pretty to look at. Stronger than I expected. Still in that weirdly mental relaxation space which I really enjoyed.

rizraz

ICMag Donor
Veteran

Line 22​
General Notes: This was ever so slightly the strongest growing of the bunch. In general the averaged yield was higher. These plants did seem to express a more limited scope of the colors from the other lines however they were a more consistent silvery lavender throughout the batch

Chemotype: This was by far the "funkiest" of the all the lines. Still had weirdly sour/savory notes but way deeper into the tropical cream fruit smells with lots of dank smells.

Finished Cure Product Notes: Likely the most uniform looking of the entire seed line. Very stable in flower shape, size, density and color. Easily could run as a commercial production seed run. Nose shifted almost entirely to a dank fruity flower smell. Very strong nose on this line. Likely the strongest of the batch. Really great visible resin glands.

Flower Smoke Report: Very close to the S1 smoke in the relaxation department but overall a more invigorating high. Less mind up and more overall hybrid style effect. It did loosen my muscles but it didn't get my quite far enough in the relaxation side of things to want to sit around. Nice all day type effect with just a slight lean towards more typical Indica effects.

rizraz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Elite line didn't get tested yet. I have all my moms including my twin seedling still schedule for testing but I just didn't make it into the chaos of 2020 scheduling.

This line overall gets a 10 from me. Likely in my top five all time strains. The black of the S1 I have is one of more unique plants I've grown. Really neat flower onion fruit smells that give a wonderful taste. I kept at least one mom of each line if not more so there are plenty of keepers per pack. I suspect when I flower the elites I'll be even more impressed with the line. This line has made it past my testing room and the selected mom will be added to the production raised bed room in the coming months. Below is just an image dump incase I missed some shots above.

Theorganicguy

What a stellar job, rizraz! I wish I could smell the oniony, meaty pheno though the screen :biggrin:! Number 22 is definitely one of the darkest and prettiest budshot I've seen in the last couple years!

Enjoy:tiphat:

rizraz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks friends. I've got some photos coming including some lightly edited ones my wife had fun with. Gonna do some more dried cured flower shots of the "black" S1 female I have as well as some rosin shots when I have the time.

I always wonder what the best way to format this kind of stuff is. Do you all like the above format?

rizraz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice, yeah I just wanted to keep the lines separate and I hate linking to gallery when I’m trying to read. What I should do is create some format for a grow report that focuses on notes from specific weeks. Like a standard week 2 week 4 week 6 harvest kind of deal. Anyway thanks for the reply.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi rizraz :thank you: It's an immense pleasure to read your feedback on the different Kali China lines from the Breeders Packs!

So glad to see you have found remarkable plants and to read you have enjoyed exploring the strain in depth and that after getting more familiarized with her you rate Kali China among your favorite strains :huggg:

It means a lot to me, it's probably the strain i've dedicated more time to develop and that i feel closer to my heart, my goal with Kali China inbreeding was to try to capture as best as possible her unique terpene profile, effect and personality, the yield and vigor were never the priority since they are easy to achieve in outcrosses, so i focused mainly on quality. Other interesting traits that i managed to stabilize on the strain are its compact, beautiful hashplant indica look and fast flowering, high resin production and colors, they are just a plus, but they are also very desirable to have in a consistent way.

Very little to add to your descriptions and insights :) You got perfectly the vibes of the genetics. The Black pheno from the S1 line looks and sounds like a winner to keep ;) Cross her with good pure sativa and the results will be fire! I also encourage to explore the F3xF4 line as this one combines my 2 favorite females from F3 and F4 generations, so lots of potential for quality, but also it's a line with slightly more heterosis and therefore better yielding, so a good source to find more suitable plants for commercial grows.

Thanks again and enjoy your well deserved selections! :ying:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks Crazy Chester :)

rizraz, forgot to ask you. How is the incense level on your different females ? Do you prefer any particular line for such terpenes ? What did happen with the mutant variegated one ?

rizraz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Dubi, Thanks for your work on the line. I'm not easily impressed with genetics, particularly indicas, but these are something really unique. The effect is what I find most amazing. Its really relaxing but not sedative. The size and structure of the plants were all so close, really great work in stabilizing the plant structure. You could easily sprout seeds and get an even canopy, even with all the different expressions of the line. The smells is what I think is most impressive. Lots of terps not normally expressed in Cannabis. Really nice work, I can't wait to explore her more.

The elite line is coming soon. I couldn't get my twin seedlings large enough to get clones off of due to pot/space restrictions so I didn't test the elite line. I prefer to test a whole line at once rather than little by little. I find it too hard to discern what is the best plant when they're not flowering next to each other.

The mutant did keep pace with all the others growing in that run unfortunately she did not produce flowers on pace with her sisters. She only had about 15 grams while the others had over 40 with the highest yielding was 73.4. I think I have some pictures of the finished flowers but she was a green type, not large budded and not intense the scent department.

The incense smells are most pronounced in the 22 line. The flowery, funk is a really incense type smell. Almost like if they made a Nag Flora with cave smells. The 22 line has the hardest to discern and most complex smells of the F5, S1 and line 22. It's a really weird even mix of a bunch of different smells, each time you smell it you get a little different take. All that said one of my twins from the elite line has the strongest flowery, savory incense smell of any of the plants thus far. Looking forward to the possibilities there.

Overall Kali China has made it into my all time top ten. I've smoked a considerable amount of flower and it ain't easy making something that reaches my personal top. I cannot thank you enough for the work on the strain Dubi.

For the S1 outcross I'm really thinking of using a Temple Flo (from 2020 drop) male I have. Both strains contain the same weird kind of flowery, musky, incensesy, savory smells. The temple flo and the S1 could both benefit from some vigor and I cannot help but think the weird way that both strains express color might be really cool. On the harder sativa side I was eyeing that Caledonia or the Caledonia 2. Either one I think would be a really cool cross into the Kali China. I think maybe I'd select one of my more mango cream leaning females instead of the black S1 for that project. I mean really, I think for the sake of creating interesting hybrids you could really replace any "kush" type of any strain with the Kali China and have way more unique results. She's basically a hashplant with crazy smells and colors and those traits seem really stable across the entire breeders pack. My worry is that it's going to be hard to get down to one keeper female of each line lol.

Latest posts

Latest posts