What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Potatoes

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Never grown potatoes, hmmm wonder if there are any closet potatoes grower sites.

djav59

Here there are no seed potatoes available locally at all plenty of tomatoes and other seed 2-3$ for quality brand and greenhouse plants for 4-8$ but yes we have no potato s.

St. Phatty

i have an area about 20 feet diameter on a front lawn area, where I dump all the dry wild pea plants etc. that grow in the area.

intermixed with extra sand etc. that I just needed a place to put.

was going to put my potatoes there.

and buy a few bags of different potatoes at the store to see which ones produce the most volunteers.

seed potatoes are cheaper at the grocery store.

Sign

If converting new land, check Irish ridge/lazy beds.

In a nutshell you cut sod and flip it over so grass side is touching grass side. It gives you a raised bed with trenches. Potato is competitive enough that you can have them sandwiched between the grass, and as they grow up you keep scooping more soil from the trenches to mound up your ridge. It's more laborious than Ruth Stout style but all your inputs are already in place.

Normally I won't talk up a method I haven't tried myself but if it was standard practice for the Irish and they literally lived off potatoes for generations using this method. I'm trying it this year.

starke

Anyone ever do straw bale or modified trash can for potatoes? and get decent yield?

I have grown most vegetables in straw bales over the years, but never potatoes. Secret with the straw bales is proper prep beginning about a month before you want to plant.

Have done the modified trash can in the past and it is by far the easiest way to grow potatoes.

Cmoon

Yes, a key hole type, also tomatoes in straw bales. And yes, potatoes do well in keyhole or pillar strawbale. There's enough soil/compost interiorly to work its magic.

https://morningchores.com/straw-bale-garden-plants/

That sounds interesting:tiphat: without research my thinking it would act like an organic airpot affair?

Iv grown quite a few hundred in recycled cocco/hydroton and in optimal conditions its numerous hanwaterings per day to keep them happy

cm

mr.brunch

Veteran
Starting to emerge....

picture.php

4 out of 21 still not appeared yet, but there’s still hope.
I always dig the trench double depth ( about 8 inches) then put in the sprouted potatoes and half fill the trench.
Then when they grow a bit, I start to fill the rest in which acts like extra earthing up.

Cmoon

I have grown most vegetables in straw bales over the years, but never potatoes. Secret with the straw bales is proper prep beginning about a month before you want to plant.

Have done the modified trash can in the past and it is by far the easiest way to grow potatoes.

Sounds good advice:tiphat:...my first year with spuds . Toms , leeks , cabbage etc have been good enough herb growing cover along with lots of wonderful plants and flowers won and lost...whats the trashcan thing?

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
did a Ruth Stout bed with 2 kinds, only ones (i think the red ones) have sprouted, but the others i saw roots so they may just be slacking. lol
been planning on doing the straw pillar method too and have several cages ready.
just need more potatoes ready to go.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good idea....

Attachments

• 5c81df37bcb74f37d19682d2-large.jpg
    5c81df37bcb74f37d19682d2-large.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 38

Latest posts

Latest posts