What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mid Western Hemp breeding.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Not all what was grown was hemp back then.

Dewey (1914) noted that a Turkish narcotic type of land race called “Smyrna” was commonly used in the early 20th century in the US to produce birdseed, because (like most narcotic types of Cannabis) it is densely branched, producing many flowers, hence seeds

picture.php

Big M

I've always seen a lot of wild hemp in pastures growing under and around trees a lot. Birds carry the seeds there from other places, and the shorter grass of a pasture is a great place for seeds to take off. Lots of variation out there. Someone should be out there collecting and studying it.

shithawk420

Veteran
I did collect it and study it.im telling you guys it's just a nuisance to anyone wanting to grow weed outdoors.ok.i understand the history of genetics but it's bunk and a pain in my ass

shithawk420

Veteran
Buy a fucking farm and grow weed out doors and then come and tell me how you like it.forgive my bluntness but we literally lost thousands in investments cause the shit spread and I can't find the source of the things.for all I know a local farmers DOES have a legal hemp crop somewhere I don't know about.i remember as a kid driving around just to pull hemp so it didn't pollinate our crops.

'Boogieman'

Buy a fucking farm and grow weed out doors and then come and tell me how you like it.forgive my bluntness but we literally lost thousands in investments cause the shit spread and I can't find the source of the things.for all I know a local farmers DOES have a legal hemp crop somewhere I don't know about.i remember as a kid driving around just to pull hemp so it didn't pollinate our crops.

The legal hemp crop should be female plants unless they are growing for fiber. I have spots I visit a few times a year to destroy the shit otherwise my grow will be 50% seeds. It often grows wild around my grow spots if any seed falls out before harvest. On a good year I still find the occasional seed in my weed.

I did collect it and study it.im telling you guys it's just a nuisance to anyone wanting to grow weed outdoors.ok.i understand the history of genetics but it's bunk and a pain in my ass

Stokes et al. (2000) examined airborne pollen over a 5 year period in Omaha NE. They found that, during peak pollen drop periods (mid to late August), 36% of all pollen in the air was from "rogue" cannabis. That's an awful lot of pollen from feral plants. The abstract of that study: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11030280/

George Weiblen's research group at the University of Minnesota should have a paper out soon describing their chemical testing of feral populations in that state. Initial results were mostly type III (CBD), but also included a few type I (THC) and type II (mixed CBD / THC). The unsurprising moral of the story: there's some diversity out there!

Our research group will have a paper out later this fall demonstrating that growing triploid cannabis in these pollen-infested zones is the best path forward to maintain sensimilla. The future is looking bright.

'Boogieman'

Stokes et al. (2000) examined airborne pollen over a 5 year period in Omaha NE. They found that, during peak pollen drop periods (mid to late August), 36% of all pollen in the air was from "rogue" cannabis. That's an awful lot of pollen from feral plants. The abstract of that study: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11030280/

George Weiblen's research group at the University of Minnesota should have a paper out soon describing their chemical testing of feral populations in that state. Initial results were mostly type III (CBD), but also included a few type I (THC) and type II (mixed CBD / THC). The unsurprising moral of the story: there's some diversity out there!

Our research group will have a paper out later this fall demonstrating that growing triploid cannabis in these pollen-infested zones is the best path forward to maintain sensimilla. The future is looking bright.

Where do these studies come from? I have lived in ditch weed country all my life and tried getting a buzz from it a million times, even made butter from pounds of the stuff with absolutely no effect besides a stomach ache.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Some ditchweed patches may have 1 plant in 25 that gets you high, others have none. Those with none might be more hempy, but those with some have no more than very few, and the best looking plants - those that you're sure have bagseed genes - never ever have THC.

shithawk420

Veteran
Ok well you just proved my point.i can't have a thc crop of weed cause you guys with money can pay the farmers with land to pollinate my illegal crops. Capitalism at it's finest

'Boogieman'

Ok well you just proved my point.i can't have a thc crop of weed cause you guys with money can pay the farmers with land to pollinate my illegal crops. Capitalism at it's finest

Wouldn't matter which economic system we have people would be growing hemp, and it definitely would still be growing wild.

shithawk420

Veteran
For fucks sakes I'm just a poor boy.you want your CBD grow it yourself or go to your local store and pay 60 bucks a bottle cause the farmers own 500 acres and do whatever the fuck they want.im not stupid.they did the same thing with bees.I'm an a certificate apiary tech.aka beekeeper.but I digress

shithawk420

Veteran
I'm sorry your right.i gotta little emotional cause I'm in the middle of a battle with a 5 generation farmer who wants to convert to hemp and if he does the whole Midwest is Fucked forever!!! Doesn't than mean something!!?? No as long as someone gets money.im seeing this now! The farmers want hemp cause they can't make enough CBD! But whatever.ill roll with the punches

'Boogieman'

I'm sorry your right.i gotta little emotional cause I'm in the middle of a battle with a 5 generation farmer who wants to convert to hemp and if he does the whole Midwest is FUCKED! Ask me! I'll prove it! I don't care!

I'm in Indiana and try to grow outdoors every year. I hate hemp with every fiber of my body and I feel your pain. Any patch I find gets the glyphosate.

shithawk420

Veteran
Well it's just sad when I see this CBD junk and I say to myself ( I coulda grew that crap) and I actually do.

troutman

Seed Whore
Then again farmers can't use Hemp seeds if they produce plants with over 0.03% THC.
Hope none of those Trailer Park Boys pollute Hemp crops with random high THC plants.
Won't take many males to ruin Hemp crops either. :biggrin:

Big M

I feel the frustration with wild pollen. I have all but given up trying to eradicate any males in the area a long time ago. If I see some nearby, sure I'll kill it, but there's so much all around that it doesn't make much difference. Some years are worse than others, but as long as there isn't a male within a few hundred yards you'll still have some bud to smoke. Just gotta pick through some beans, hopefully not too many.

Autos put out early in spring or light deps can be a good way to get around wild pollen. Triploids sound like a sure bet, but not commonly available, and I'd rather not try to make my own at this point.

I still feel that developing a regional/microclimate specific outdoor strain could very much benefit from the introduction of local wild genetics. With enough time and the ability to run enough plants, something great could be made. Worst case, we still will have widened the genetic diversity of modern smoke a little bit.

shithawk420

Veteran
Very good post Big M but at this point I don't see a cure in sight.the damage is done.in my opinion.what you said is a good idea but it would take a couple hundred years no?

Latest posts

Latest posts