What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

?? Terpene Boosters -- Which One ??

brown_thumb

I've been using Terpenez because it was recommended by a vendor. I don't yet know if it's doing anything but I do love the fragrance. This stuff seems to be different from other terpene boosters... I 'think' it has the terpenes in it rather than encouraging the plants to produce their own. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I want to add a true terpene booster (one that helps the plants make their own) but am baffled by the many offerings from manufacturers. I want the best product at the best price.

My flowers are about half way through bloom and I need to order online so I need to decide VERY QUICKLY.

PLEASE help me decide...

Rhizoflora -- Terpinator
Cyco Platinum Series -- Supa Stiky
New Millenium Nutrients - Winter Frost
Commercial Edition -- Trich-XL
Advanced Nutrients -- Bud Candy
Suite Leaf -- Suite Finish
OTHER ??

Jonny Lan

I suspect that if there was any real efficacy to products like those, there would actually be good tasting tomatoes available all year long.

Great bud does not come from a bottle...
I second this opinion. I also say a grower who needs to add a chemical something to his cannabis is doing it all wrong. Unless its organic stuff. That the plant needs anyways.

Jonny Lan

how about trying to be helpful to the OP??
Sorry guys I didn't mean to come off as an ass if I did. I just don't believe in adding artificial terps to pplants. I've been hearing a lot of conversations in my communities about terps being added to bud shatter, rosin and I find it offensive.

Here is my help for the op, try to some phenotype hunting and maybe find phenos that give more of the terps ur looking for and stick to your products that allow the plant to produce more of its own natural terps.

~star~crash~

Sorry guys I didn't mean to come off as an ass if I did. I just don't believe in adding artificial terps to pplants. I've been hearing a lot of conversations in my communities about terps being added to bud shatter, rosin and I find it offensive.

Here is my help for the op, try to some phenotype hunting and maybe find phenos that give more of the terps ur looking for and stick to your products that allow the plant to produce more of its own natural terps.

:huggg:

~star~crash~

adding AN's bud candy to a plant in bloom is not adding terps

hi johnny:tiphat:i agree that adding adding actual terpenes to shatter/wax/rosin/ products to effectively artificially boost their flavors is indeed offensive

brown_thumb

No problem, I didn't take it that way.:)

I'm a newb and this is a difficult learning process for me. There's so much information to consume, digest, absorb the good stuff, and poop out the bad stuff. Sometimes it gives me mental diarhea and other times it's constipation... I'm not sure which is worse.:D

I'm growing several strains and am buying more to try. Once I find the ones that are best for my medical needs plus taste great, I'll stick with those phenotypes.

brown_thumb

but, if you're 1/2 the way thru bloom , then it's too late to start w/it

I started using Terpenez very early in the flowering stage. But I 'think' the product has terpenes 'in' it rather than boosting the plants' own terpene production. So, it's too late to start using a booster?

i use sweet raw. all in all most of smell/flavor boosters are just some form of sulfur. ive found implementing wet dry cycles helps alot with smell and taste.

Jonny Lan

i use sweet raw. all in all most of smell/flavor boosters are just some form of sulfur. ive found implementing wet dry cycles helps alot with smell and taste.
That wet dry cycles stuff might be true. I've always grown like that and my stuff is always stinky though I believe a proper dry and cure makes or breaks the whole grow. But on the Watering topic I water to full saturation pplus 10 percent run off then I don't water till pots are dry again 3-4 days later. I use the bio canna line its 4 bottles plus their soil. That's it. I used to make my own soils but I can't be bothered with the teas anymore. Making your own soil is cheaper but I like the ease of the bio. Its also ph perfect so I never have to worry.

brown_thumb

If that's true, and since magnesium is a bloom booster, then wouldn't epsom salt do just as well as anything? Epsom salt breaks down to magnesium, sulfur and oxygen... an added bonus since oxygen is great for the roots.

Picarus

No terpene booster will effectively boost your terpene levels. Terpene saturation is more a sign of overall health of the plant and genetic predisposition. Sometimes a hotter room will also boost the terpenes in the final flower. I have tried many variations using the base active ingredients found in most of these products. Your best bet is a soil grown, non-synthetic, probiotic, water only grow of terpene rich genetics, mostly sativa, inoculated with beneficial microbes.
I hold lab records for terpene concentration in flowers. The other important data point is maturity of flower and drying methodology.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When I was stuck on bottles I started looking closely at the ingredients that they contained.
You may be able to do the same through simple internet searches.

Anyway, I noticed a single ingredient that was very consistent in the products I was using & reading about for the specific purpose of increasing trichome density.
The product I recognized in all the formulas was simply kelp. Specifically, nodosium (if that's right) kelp.

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
When I was stuck on bottles I started looking closely at the ingredients that they contained.
You may be able to do the same through simple internet searches.

Anyway, I noticed a single ingredient that was very consistent in the products I was using & reading about for the specific purpose of increasing trichome density.
The product I recognized in all the formulas was simply kelp. Specifically, nodosium (if that's right) kelp.

Yep, kelp is the secret ingredient, but adding a dose of powdered kelp to one's grow medium during the flower stage might not achieve the desired result. Kelp meal takes a long time to breakdown--in fact it absorbs more N than it produces for the first 4 weeks. Plant Available Nitrogen (PAN) on 28th day is -6 (minus 6). Hmmmm.

brown_thumb

Growmore seaweed extract and Humax are part of my regular feeding regimen. I don't know if the Growmore is made with that special 'brown kelp'.