What's new

Worth adding 240 led to 600w hps?

Grandad

Hey there,

The grow area is a 1.2 meter square tent, filled with haze hybrids in week 2-3 flower. I’m looking at adding one of the new 240w migro aray lights to supplement a 600w plantastar HPS.

Would the plants be able to absorb all this additional light? The LEDs are not cheap ($400).

Thanks,

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
picture.php

Grandad

@art.spliff nice piece of kit eh. I think I’d struggle to get of these in alongside the 600watter.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
1.44meter... 600w is a bit weak. It's alright and you could see 1/2 a kg easy enough but it's not all it could be. I suggest the middle is fine, and to the side of the lamp, but the corners won't be great and could quite easily get left behind without considerate training. A 6 is really for a meter, maybe 1.2 but asking 50% more from it isn't the best recipe.

I'm not sure how a single light could benefit you. Is it long and thin? So your 6 can do 1.2 x 0.8 leaving 1.2 x 0.4

I have used the 8 sided shades for ages and it's a fairly round coverage, unlike the oblong of a barn shade. Philips once did a 400 said to cover 5'x2' but I have not seen such proportions. I can only talk for the 8 sided now, which would want a light added to each corner. Only 50w though which moves away from pro-gear. I think some UFO's use half decent leds for high-bay lighting. Or maybe hang some gls (sil) lamps.

edit: I guess you should start along the road of conversion. Leaving the HID fold and moving over to pro led stuff. With a 1.2 any investment in UFO's or general service lamps has no long term return.

Grandad

I ended up swapping the reflector for a secret jardin daisy and it makes a huge difference. The space is fully lit now.. might just stick with this for now..

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Hey there,

The grow area is a 1.2 meter square tent, filled with haze hybrids in week 2-3 flower. I’m looking at adding one of the new 240w migro aray lights to supplement a 600w plantastar HPS.

Would the plants be able to absorb all this additional light? The LEDs are not cheap ($400).

Thanks,
The formula I have on the subject is based on overall desired PPFD of 750.

(A*P) = PAR
(PAR/1.4) total watts req'd

1.2 x 750 = 900umols
900 / 1.4 = 643W