What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pinching the top node off plants

Does anybody do this? A buddy of mine told me to pinch the top off because it sends hormones through the plant that signal it to get bushier..

However I haven't done that before and they have turned out just fine.. wondering if any ones got any facts or experience behind this?

St. Phatty

I had some pet birds FIM a few seedlings.

Some of them, totally stripped, with just bits of leaves left.

attachment.php

Blue Widow cross.

I have had similar experiences with deer stripping fruit trees - which keep on growing.

These pics were taken 8 days ago. They've been growing back since then. The ravaged Blue Widow cross has a growing shoot with 2 tiny 5 bladed leaves.

I moved the small plants into a smaller room that's easier to keep the door shut.

It sort of reminds me of Edward Scissorhands. The "went overboard trimming the plants" version.

The cats are showing a lot of interest in the plants too.

I think a cat stripped a seedling out and ate the whole thing, a Sugar Black Rose cross. That would be over-FIM'ing :woohoo:

Does anybody do this? A buddy of mine told me to pinch the top off because it sends hormones through the plant that signal it to get bushier..

However I haven't done that before and they have turned out just fine.. wondering if any ones got any facts or experience behind this?
It is called tipping where I come from. If you want decent yield from minimal plants in a finite area then you should always do it. I tip a plant multiple times with the aim of getting around 20 main branches of similar height to flower.

The main growing points of a plant produce the hormone auxin, which travels down the shoot to inhibit the lower nodes. This is called apical dominance. Removing the top shoot or apex removes this inhibition.

B

bigganjabud

Topping is taking the whole tip of the plant

Fim(or f@#k I missed) is taking atleast Half of the tip off at an angle afaik

Either way it does work

But I prefer scrogs tbh