What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Problems with purge :(

Endovena

Hi
I have some questions for my bho purge ..
because in the instruction book of my vacuum chamber is writing
stop the pump when the pressure is -14 Psi or it cause implosion .. and my vacuum chamber reaches this pressure in 5 seconds.
and then I turn off the pump every time after 5 seconds
but doing so my bho purge very very low ..
what is the problem guys? i hope someone pls helps me :(
I have vacuum pump 42Lt / min and BacoEng vacuum chamber 1.5Gallon
I do not have an electric plate to heat the chamber, is this important?
bye and thanks all.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Hello. You are confusing PSI with vacuum measured in Hg.

From BacoEng Website - "1.5 Gallon Vacuum Chamber kit. 6"(H) x 9''(OD). Measuring range of vacuum gauge:0-29.25inHg(Equal to 14.3PSI/0.1Mpa/750mmHg)"

Your vacuum chamber can handle over 29 Hg, and it likely that your cheap pump can not reach this level anyways. Just leave the pump running and let it pull as deep as possible.

You need to do some reading, but the vacuum chamber lowers the boiling point of butane which makes it easier to evaporate at lower temperatures. If you add more heat with a vacuum, the solvent will evaporate faster. Sometimes you have to add heat (120-125F for alcohol) in order to get the last little bit of solvent out. So yes, heating helps, but you are dealing with explosive butane so you need to be careful.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi
I have some questions for my bho purge ..
because in the instruction book of my vacuum chamber is writing
stop the pump when the pressure is -14 Psi or it cause implosion .. and my vacuum chamber reaches this pressure in 5 seconds.
and then I turn off the pump every time after 5 seconds
but doing so my bho purge very very low ..
what is the problem guys? i hope someone pls helps me :(
I have vacuum pump 42Lt / min and BacoEng vacuum chamber 1.5Gallon
I do not have an electric plate to heat the chamber, is this important?
bye and thanks all.

Atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psi, so it sounds like they supplier is limiting vacuum to -28.5" Hg. If that is the case, I suggest you replace the chamber, because you need to reach around 10,000 microns or -29.5" Hg.

What brand is the chamber?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I’m at 7K ft elevation & according to the instructions I received w my vac chamber I can realize a max ideal vac of -23.06in/Hg.

Is this equivalent to -29.5in/Hg @ sea level?
Or can I not pull a full Vacs at this elevation & this is the pressure I have to work around?

Also,
I can’t get my extracts tested so am wondering how I can know when purging is completed & all the tane is removed to 0ppm.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The dial gauges are off by about 1" Hg per thousand feet of elevation above sea level.

For a more detailed explanation,

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=7654817&postcount=5

I purge BHO in a thin film @ 110-115F/-29.5" Hg until the bubbling slows to a crawl. The thin film is achieved by placing the oil on parchment, and allowing it to freely spread out in the chamber.

Nick at BVV admitted this is misleading, but still it persists,

"As your pump is going, keep tabs of your mercury measurement. Our shop is about 800 feet of elevation, which means it would be sitting at about 29 inches of mercury. The gauge itself is roughly +-.5 inches of mercury. (Note: please refer to an altitude/vacuum level conversion chart depending on the area you live in you may not achieve a ‘full vacuum.’)"

https://www.bestvaluevacs.com/blog/rundown-bvv-chambers/

Last edited:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I’m at 7K ft elevation & according to the instructions I received w my vac chamber I can realize a max ideal vac of -23.06in/Hg.

Is this equivalent to -29.5in/Hg @ sea level?
Or can I not pull a full Vacs at this elevation & this is the pressure I have to work around?

Also,
I can’t get my extracts tested so am wondering how I can know when purging is completed & all the tane is removed to 0ppm.

Yes. Consider atmospheric pressure as the weight of the atmosphere pressing down at 29.92" Hg at sea level where the air column weight is at its maximum. The higher elevation, the less air column pressing down. In your case 23.1" Hg at 7000 feet is the same level of vacuum as 23.1" Hg at sea level.

Attachments

• Pressure at Altitude-1-1.jpg
    Pressure at Altitude-1-1.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Latest posts