What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grafting Technique for Multiple plants and Low Plant Count legality

p0opstlnksal0t

I will soon be attempting the viability of a modified version of approach grafting. Basically grafting the trunks of 4x juvenile vegging plants together to produce essentially 4 plants in 1 "count" basically 4 root masses, 4 trunks "joined at the hip" so to speak and 4 main stems. In my state its not really spelled out what equates to "1 plant count" so my hope is that 4 conjoined plants actually count as 1 plant.... Is my thinking out of whack here?

p0opstlnksal0t

has anyone grafted in this manner? essentially you are conjoining multiple plant trunks together but leaving all 4 plant roots and main stems in tact? giving an illusion of 1 plant but yield and growth of 4 individual plants.

OldPhart

has anyone grafted in this manner? essentially you are conjoining multiple plant trunks together but leaving all 4 plant roots and main stems in tact? giving an illusion of 1 plant but yield and growth of 4 individual plants.

I would like to know what you find, but I would suspect that the yield/growth would be equal to or probably lower than a single plant. It has always been my assertion that roots dictate what is possible above ground. I think it would be kind of like laying out a hundred feet of garden hose, then putting a couple hose 'Y's on the end, and thinking you're going to get 4 times the amount of water out of it.

Last edited:

p0opstlnksal0t

imagine something similar to this:

home-design.jpg

home-design.jpg

home-design.jpg

mushroombrew

Veteran
For the record:-

" I am thinking about putting 4 strains on one plant. The here in OR you could grow 16 strains with 4 plants! Besides a plant with two different buds will look sick!"

p0opstlnksal0t

And yes conjoined plants are just fine. One root system. 4 plants in the same pot unfortunately is 4 plants.

has anything like this come up before in court? is there anything on the books showing multiple conjoined plants actually counting as separates? I would venture to guess that if a grow was inspected and you had these odd conjoined trees growing they wouldnt count them as individual plant. the grouping would look more like a big single trunk plant.

p0opstlnksal0t

For the record:-

" I am thinking about putting 4 strains on one plant. The here in OR you could grow 16 strains with 4 plants! Besides a plant with two different buds will look sick!"

ya im not really after utilizing 1 root stock like all of the grafting threads ive seen. I want 4 individual plants simply joined together at the trunk to appear as 1 individual plant. 4 root systems to support 4 actual plants in a single pot.

zif

Veteran
It’s easy to establish as many leaders as you like, each with a different variety. Scions that are the top of seedlings with only a few sets of true leaves work well for dirt simple wedge grafts. And where courts count rooted plants for legal purposes, no one can argue you have more than one plant in the end.

Why be the test case for what could allow observant legal or leo folks to try for a more stringent definition of plant counts? (I.e., we noticed that this one ‘plant’ has several apparent stems or taproots, so did a genotype and so can say that it represents 4 actual plants....)

Never mind that you must ‘pass through’ times with too many plants, where you can serially build a plant with dozens of genotypes with only 2 living plants at a time (or much faster with, say, four living plants at a time).

It’s cool that this kind of graft works. It’s in one of the recent grafting threads, in fact. But I’m not sure it has any advantage.....

zif

Veteran
See these posts for a successful multi-trunk from Darpa:

Here is an update on the multiple truck fusion.

Ok, here we go again with an other experiment, since all of the V-Graft (wedge graft) and the auxiliary buds side grafting (chip grafting) worked with a 100 % success rate, here is a trial of a trunk and root system fusion.

brown_thumb

I like the concept... but couldn't one simply plant four seedlings together in one hole and tie them together as they grow? I realize that's not 'grafting' but the trunks will all grow together if tied together. Of course, a much larger pot will be needed to allow the four plants to thrive.

mushroombrew

Veteran
ya im not really after utilizing 1 root stock like all of the grafting threads ive seen. I want 4 individual plants simply joined together at the trunk to appear as 1 individual plant. 4 root systems to support 4 actual plants in a single pot.

I don't think an LEO will look at it as one plant. But I am interested to see what you can do regardless. Good luck!

clown baby

graft above ground. if you do a proper graft, like on a grape vine or apple tree, it will be one stem coming out of the ground. IE one plant.

Honestly, though, since cannabis is an annual, this idea sounds like more work than its worth. You'd going to need to veg pretty big plants to get stems thick enough for a proper graft, then getting the grafts to take hold, and then going through flowering. IMO if you can only grow 4 plants, just grow 4 strains.

Not trying to be a wet blanket. I think this would be a cool experiment. But if you're trying to have a semi-efficient grow, i dont know that grafting will be your best bet.

But if youre really committed, google cleft grafts and bark grafts. bark grafts are probably your best bet.

Latest posts

Latest posts