What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Solis-Tek DE Fixtures VS. Gavita DE E-Series

Hello everyone.

I have a question for my setup. I am looking to go with a set of 10 or 15 double ended fixtures for my setup.

My hydro store is really trying to sell my on the Solis-Tek double ended fixtures, due to ease of warranty and of course, I'm sure, the great markup that they get on them. Their logic is that the Solis-Tek have a larger hood, and thus spread the light better, and that the Gavita's were designed for greenhouse use and thus are not as well suited for indoor use.

To be clear, I believe these are the lights in particular.
http://growershouse.com/solis-tek-double-ended-de-1000w-complete-lighting-package

Not sure how unbiased this data is, but it is data nonetheless. It shows Gavita's being significantly better in every way.

http://growershouse.com/blog/1000w-...test-including-philips-gavita-ushio-hortilux/

As far as I understand, I will also need to purchase the EL2 master controller to run the Gavitas.

I've been quoted an out the door price of $3900 for a set of 10 Solis-Tek's, and $4899 for a set of 10 Gavita 1000 E Series with EL2 master controller.

I suppose this is a no brainer, but I figured I would get the opinions from some of you in here. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Hookah79

I can't speak for the reflector but i have some of the Solistek DE Matrix.Out of 5 one was bad out of a box.The remote is an lcd POS that don't work half the time.I like the old Solistek better.I've also seen a customer bring that same DE fixture back to a hydro shop because the socket part shorted out.Not saying they're all bad but just saying.I just don't think you can compare them to Gavitas.

I can't speak for the reflector but i have some of the Solistek DE Matrix.Out of 5 one was bad out of a box.The remote is an lcd POS that don't work half the time.I like the old Solistek better.I've also seen a customer bring that same DE fixture back to a hydro shop because the socket part shorted out.Not saying they're all bad but just saying.I just don't think you can compare them to Gavitas.

Seems that for the extra $1000 bucks it will cost to get the Gavita's, it will really go long way to having the best of the best.

Any other input from anyone? Closer looks at the data, seems the Solis-tek don't produce massively different par ratings. It is still up in the air for me at the moment.

The warranty process for solis-tek seems great, though I don't ever hear of the gavitas failing all that often, and don't see anyone running the Solis-tek lights.

shaggyballs

Veteran
There is a reason they run at 400 volts, I am not qualified to explain it properly.
But they need the ballast close so there is little voltage drop. More energy at the bulb should equal more par/pur.
I have a solistek and a cheap DE hps and it is better than the single ended bulb.
I bet there is voltage loss down the cord. How much? good question!
My guess is the gavita will put out just a little more. You would need to think in terms of par/watt ratio. I think you would see a difference there. How much different?
Is it worth the extra money? Dunno never ran one.
Solistek has a good warranty program, I had the old matrix, they sent me a new matrix and now I run a DE with it. Thank you Solisek!
Good luck
Shag
:smoke out:

Floridian

Veteran
Voltage drop isn't an issue in any fixture cord that I know of,at 100 ft you are supposed to upsize the wire one size according to code so that tells me at 15 or 20 ft or however long the cord may be,there wouldn't be any voltage drop issue to speak of.

jocat

I run the Gavita de e series and have had some trouble with the controller, you don't need to run them with it though you just set the dial to any wattage setting other than ext, & they run just like there other versions, I don't know anything about the solas tech but have had a master controller and a whole lamp/ballast replaced under warentee with out any hassle. they need fresh bulbs every 6 months to give the best.

CanniDo Cowboy

Veteran
Personally speaking, the Gavitas aren't "all that". Usually a bit higher priced and not really much better if at all than a dozen other competitors. The Gav lighting footprint is no better or worse than others as the bulb type/quality is more influential. Electrical use is also no better or worse than others.

You're right. Any of the fixture/ballast combination units are not really designed for indoor use. If they shine at all, their design is better suited for the commercial greenhouse realm - 10ft ceilings and greater.

The reason the Gavs and other similar products aren't really suitable for indoors is because each unit generates twice the amount of heat as a separated fixture/ballast combo would. Ideally, indoor you want to keep your ballasts separate from the reflector so as to manage the heat easier. A bank of ballasts placed on a concrete floor or even isolated from the grow room all together into a separate area will run cooler which is to say will also last longer than one that is attached to the bulb source. The room temps will obviously also be more manageable. For this one reason, Ive had retailers/wholesalers who have also said they never thought the combo bulb/reflector/ballast combo was a good fit for indoors

Another factor is that with the combo fixture, if either the fixture or the ballast fails, your in the dark. No emergency mode back up ballast or fixture swap out maneuvers can be made.

BTW, I would stay away from Growers House when it comes to lights/fixtures. Their faulty product replacement policy really sucks. First, Ive been a GH customer for years. recently, I had a reflector meltdown which also took out the double ended Ushio bulb ($100.00). It cost me $60.00 to ship the failed reflector back and GH refused to pay for the new bulb. Claimed the bulb was out of warranty! They blamed their manufacturers guidelines. I told them- "the hell with the manufacturers, step up and do the right thing..."They said - Sorry Charlie,too bad, so sad...". Gutless bastards, IMO.

Last edited:

Floridian

Veteran
Are you saying the gavs and other new DE fixtures have the ballast connected to the fixture reflector housing?You've got to be kidding.May as well get a cheap high bay..Thats too bad if that is the case I'm definitely going with LED's when I start back up.I never new this

watts

ohms
Veteran
^You can purchase DE remote ballast and use a reflector of your choosing. The main reason people choose the all-in-one ballast/reflector is because it produces little to no RFI.

CanniDo Cowboy

Veteran
Are you saying the gavs and other new DE fixtures have the ballast connected to the fixture reflector housing?You've got to be kidding.May as well get a cheap high bay..Thats too bad if that is the case I'm definitely going with LED's when I start back up.I never new this

There are quite a few manufacturers now offering an all in one design, Gavita being just one. They have their place but personally, I think the design is inferior for indoors.

LED's are a whole different animal. A combination quality 1000 watt HPS fixture/ballast/bulb can be had for starting around $400 or so. An equivalent LED starts at $1200. Most of the best are around $1800. They are definitely the way to go but damn....things be getting all spendy up in here at that point...

Most all ballasts these days of any quality have anti-RFI capabilities. That said, the cheaper the ballast the less quality all around, not just RFI elimination .

growingcrazy

Side by side the Gavita puts out more useable light. I have Solistek and Gavita running side by side and the Gavita wins every time. The Gavita also puts out a different spectrum bulb for bulb.

CanniDo Cowboy

Veteran
Side by side the Gavita puts out more useable light. I have Solistek and Gavita running side by side and the Gavita wins every time. The Gavita also puts out a different spectrum bulb for bulb.

Not sure what "wins every time" means. There a lot of factors to successful growing - lighting is just one part. Gavita makes a good product, no doubt. So do others. Personally, I just don't care for the all in one design for the reasons I stated.

Last edited:

growingcrazy

Not sure what "wins every time" means. There a lot of factors to successful growing - lighting is just one part. Gavita makes a good product, no doubt. So do others. Personally, I just don't care for the all in one design for the reasons I stated.

Sorry for the lack of info, I was in a rush.

From my experience the Gavita puts out a denser, more resinous product than other HPS lamps I have used. Side by side comparisons with all other factors the same, in the same room.

Stand under a Gavita for a half hour and stand under another brand for a half hour.

I picked up a pair of Gavita's when they were first popping into the horticulture market here in the states. I didn't believe the hype until after I ran them. I have since acquired more and the originals are still running.

I am all for lower costs and trying different equipment but as far as HPS lighting goes I am sticking with Phillips products for now.

EDIT: Are the Pro-line 1ks still available to allow remote/flip ballasts? They were but not sure anymore. I know the 600 proline for the SE is still available.

Peace
GC