What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organic, Non Organic Soil recipes... post recipes and results or other observations

acespicoli

Mycorrhizae are symbiotic relationships that form between fungi and plants.
The fungi colonize the root system of a host plant,
providing increased water and nutrient absorption capabilities
while the plant provides the fungus with carbohydrates formed from photosynthesis.

Endomycorrhizal fungi
Glomus intraradices, Glomus mosseae, Glomus aggregatum, Glomus monosporum, Glomus clarum, Glomus deserticola, Gigaspora margarita, Gigaspora etunicatum, Paraglomus brasilianum

Ectomycorrhizal fungi
Laccaria bicolor, Laccaria laccata, Pisolithus tinctorius, Rhizopogon villosullus, Rhizopogon luteolus, Rhizopogon amylopogon, Rhizopogon fulvigleba, Scleroderma cepa, Scleroderma citrinum, Suillus granulatus

What is the Difference Between Endo and Ecto Mycorrhizae?
Endomycorrhizae have an exchange mechanism on the inside of the root (and the hyphae extend outside the root). Endomycorrhizal fungi form mostly with green leafy plants and most commercially produced plants. Examples: Most Vegetables, Grasses, Flowers, Shrubs, Fruit Trees, and Ornamentals.

Ectomycorrhizae live only outside of the root. Ectomycorrhizal fungi form mainly with Conifers and Oaks. They are required only for a small percentage of woody type plants/trees.

In the last picture you can see how the fungus actually grows around the individual cells to deliver nutrients... amazing?

Last edited:

acespicoli

What soil type is the best for gardens?

The Ideal Soil Type: Loam.
The type of soil that gardens and gardeners love is loamy soil.
It contains a balance of all three soil materials—silt, sand and clay—plus humus.
It has a higher pH and calcium levels because of its previous organic matter content. Apr 7, 2011

How much organic material might be too much? Tell me what you think?

One reason all this matters is how well your mix holds air and water

Anaerobic Bacteria
aerobic-and-anaerobic-bacteria-1The first and most common bacteria would be the anaerobic bacteria, Obligate Anaerobes. They are capable of living in places void of O2 and most will die in the presence of oxygen. Some agile bacteria are Facultative Anaerobes. These are able to live both in and out of an oxygen laden atmosphere but they are rare microbes. Clostridium, for example, is one bacterial genes that does not need oxygen to survive. Everyone’s smelled anaerobic decomposition inside the refrigerator on occasions. So to, we have all smelled the offensive odor of this culprit coming from an old garbage can. Byproducts of their anaerobic decay involve hydrogen sulfide which smells like rotten eggs, butyric acid which smells like vomit, ammonia which will set our nostrils reeling, and vinegar. Anaerobic conditions foster pathogenic bacteria and kill off beneficial aerobic bacteria.
Aerobic Bacteria
The second bacteria type and the most important for live organic horticulture, is the aerobic bacteria, or Obligate Aerobes. Though respiration is crucial to life, the precise function that oxygen plays to maintain life is not readily understood. Essentially, in a microorganism that is capable of using it, O2 enables food compounds to be totally digested. This ensures that every possible amount of energy will be used for maintaining the cell. So the aerobic bacteria have the advantage of metabolic efficiency. Aerobic bacteria can create twenty times more energy, with the equivalent amount of organic compounds, than anaerobic bacteria. What is more, aerobic bacteria aren’t generally known to produce horrible odors. One bacteria in the order of Actinomycetales, genus Streptomyces called actinomycetes, generate enzymes with volatile compounds which gives earth a fresh, clean smell. This is the good quality soil we smell when we instinctively hold a fist full of substrate up to our nose. Interesting how harmonious bacteria agree with us instinctually.

Root rot is a condition found in both indoor and outdoor plants, although more common in indoor plants with poor drainage. As the name states, the roots of the plant rot. Usually, this is a result of overwatering. In houseplants, it is a very common problem, and is slightly less common in outdoor plants.

acespicoli

In soil science,
cation-exchange capacity or CEC is the number of exchangeable cations per dry weight
that a soil is capable of holding, at a given pH value,
and available for exchange with the soil water solution.

Closely related to cation-exchange capacity is the base saturation,
which is the fraction of exchangeable cations that are base cations
(Ca, Mg, K and Na).

acespicoli

Plant analysis assesses nutrient uptake while soil testing predicts nutrient availability.

From this information Calcium (CaO) and Potassium (KOH) could be more important than I previously believed.
Langbenite and Oyster Shell Flour?

acespicoli

In chemical terms,

if a neutral atom loses one or more electrons,
it has a net positive charge and is known as a cation.

If an atom gains electrons,
it has a net negative charge and is known as an anion.

acespicoli

Nutrient uptake in the soil is achieved by cation exchange,
wherein root hairs pump hydrogen ions (H+) into the soil through proton pumps.

Nutrients must be water soluble to be useful to your plants
They are absorbed by the roots if the are ionized.

Nature and Science 2015;13(7)
Conclusion
Magnetic water technique led to improve crop yield productivity. (interestingly this could help?)

acespicoli

Worm Castings have nutrients that are far more readily AVAILABLE to your plants, the USA Department of Agriculture states that on average Castings contain approx. 5 times the exchangeable Magnesium (Mg), 7 times the available Phosphorus (P), 11 times available Potash/Potassium (K), and 1 1/2 times the Calcium (Ca) found in fine top soil.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I've found that using dry organic fertilizer blends helps simplify soil building. Products like Down to Earth Starter Mix (3-3-3), Foxfarms All Purpose (5-5-5) or Espoma BioTone (4-3-3) all do a wonderful job.

-Funk

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
does anyone use chitosan in their soil recipes? and if so has it made any difference to the overall plant health/product?

acespicoli

im liking your thread man... some great info.. thanks

thanx appreciate the kind words friend! :huggg:

I've found that using dry organic fertilizer blends helps simplify soil building. Products like Down to Earth Starter Mix (3-3-3), Foxfarms All Purpose (5-5-5) or Espoma BioTone (4-3-3) all do a wonderful job.

-Funk

have to agree totally saw the DTE vegan mix and it really seemed great! :plant grow:

does anyone use chitosan in their soil recipes? and if so has it made any difference to the overall plant health/product?

Im currently looking for a way to incorporate a larger amt of this to my mix in a diy type formula (chi·tin
ˈkītn/Submit
nounBIOCHEMISTRY
a fibrous substance consisting of polysaccharides and forming the major constituent in the exoskeleton of arthropods and the cell walls of fungi.) :friends:

I like to work the live organic soil and compost I have all kinds of volunteer fungi show up... maybe someone can add more?

acespicoli

dank.frank

I was wondering if you could post that recipe or the link? I saw it was in your sig.
Also I was admiring your bubba (shes so pretty!), you have any more pics of it?

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
read this thread and still trying to figure out where you are going with it
the chemistry and charts are cool.
just, im not following you, it seems rather random
m2c

im just a newbie , and started in hydro
it took me exactly 3 rounds to go organic
i used the bace no soil lc mix from blaze or burn one of those guys
and the buildasoil coots mix package

it was hot the first 2 rounds,
and has been ok going into year 3
but im seeing some nitrogen and calcium issues
i suppose i should get a test to see what exactly to amend with
but idk, maybe ill mix up danks mspb recipe for a couple of my containers to compare
with my existing soil
i run no till, so im not super excited to go busting up my 2 yo pots
to add in some amendments but, i dont see another way
around it...

acespicoli

I had this smoke one time... one guy grew it its was great outdoor, had the same clone outdoor from another grower and it was much lower quality. The difference the soil... coffee beans and fine wine its all about the growing conditions!

Anyone else relate to this?