What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Quietest greenhouse exhaust fan

Deezl

Hey,
I'm designing a 18'x 26' hoop house in norther ca. It needs to be fairly quiet.
Anyone have any suggestions for a quiet outtake fan? Is bigger quieter? Belt drive?
Edumakate me!
Thanks

highsteppa

Veteran
you should size your exhaust fan based on the volume of your gh. You want a full exchange every minute. from there you can size what you need and then shop around. I don't think it would have to be huge.

honestly if you could remove the plastic when not needed, you could get away without running a fan much . imo a lot of the time a gh can overly hot or humid and the plants do better in open air though its nice to have the protection and added heat when you need it.

I was thinking of setting up mine that way (ghetto retractable roof). I also have 8' side walls that would stay in place to block visibility .

good luck.

Deezl

Ended up with a 20x24 with 6ft sidewalls and plywood ends.

And so...

One big fan or two smaller?

What's quieter?

Thanks!

corky1968

Veteran
If you can do place a door at each end.

So you can open both at the same time now and again to let fresh air blow thru naturally.

That's probably the quietest ventilation that you can get.

Deezl

I left the poly off for the summer so right now the fan (or fans) is for when it's depped (with light traps).
When I do put the poly on I'll still usually leave the 6' roll up sides up.

Latest posts

Latest posts