What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

On demand Dry Ice

Roji

Has anybody looked into this yet? It's apparently very easy to make if you have a liquid co2 tank with a diptube. I've never bought dry ice or liquid co2 before, but I'm wondering if the "make your own" system is comparative price wise and therefor a viable route for those of use that are outside the urban areas.

Go...

I would think you would get a better use of gas just using the liquid CO2 for direct cooling. Maybe liquid nitrogen would be your solution.

MEMED

yea they have very expensive large recycling machines. Might b cool to try to build....

vividavis

Yes it is easy.

You can make it with co2 and a pillow case. Just attach a hose to the valve flip the cylinder over and blast into the pillow case.

Don't forget gloves.

I've done this with small co2 paintball cylinders so I know it works.

MEMED

good luck doing any volume with that method. Maybe for a kiddie science experiment.... gets pricey and its not as compressed so itll sublimate even faster...

CannabisTHC

I looked this up last night and found out how to go about doing it. Here was a piece of information that I found useful.

Here's a portable dry ice maker that can make approximately 2.2Lbs (1KG) in weight in about 1 minute. Yield from a 75 lbs liquid cylinder - 5 to 6 blocks at room temperature. But gets better at colder temperatures.

So roughly 11-13lbs from a 75 lbs cylinder.

vividavis

good luck doing any volume with that method. Maybe for a kiddie science experiment.... gets pricey and its not as compressed so itll sublimate even faster...

You are correct sir. We use to do this in high school to make DI "noise makers" (don't want to use the "b" word.) Not a lot to do in the north woods of Wisconsin.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
I looked this up last night and found out how to go about doing it. Here was a piece of information that I found useful.

Here's a portable dry ice maker that can make approximately 2.2Lbs (1KG) in weight in about 1 minute. Yield from a 75 lbs liquid cylinder - 5 to 6 blocks at room temperature. But gets better at colder temperatures.

So roughly 11-13lbs from a 75 lbs cylinder.
Its not worth it at all... depending on setup.. i run through 100lbs of di in a day ... pelican coolers fill it it keeps for a few days if not used..

CannabisTHC

Yeah not at all, I stumbled on that info when looking at ultra low temperature freezers as well as immersion probe coolers. I'm torn between the two.

queequeg152

Veteran
these block generators show up on ebay from time to time in the event anyone is interested.

they are not a bad piece of equipment to have on hand... in the event something like a specimen freezer dies in the middle of the night, you can just generate blocks of co2 from a cylinder. co2 is extremely common in laboratory environments what with co2 incubators and what have you.

BigJohnny

There was a thread somewhere here where people looked into the math and it worked out to be extremely cost ineffective and a huge waste of most of the CO2.

Snype

Veteran
At the store I buy my Dry Ice from, it's $2.00 a pound. Doesn't seem that bad.

It seems it's cheaper to buy Dry Ice from a food supplier as opposed to a gas company. At least in my area.

Latest posts

Latest posts