What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sick clones in aeroponic cloner

clonegirl

Ok, I just built an aeroponic cloner and began using it about 4 weeks ago. It seems to work fine except that by the time cuttings get roots they are gravely ill.

I've used an aeroponic cloner before but never in this house and never had issues. I was doing clones in rockwool up until I built the cloner and did NOT have the same issue.

My moms and older clones (the ones rooted in rockwool previously and the ones I have nursed back to health from the cloner) are in coco and healthy.

My ideas: I think this is a severe potassium deficiency????
Reason: I thought at first perhaps the pH was too high (6.9ish) but wonder if this matters in the cloner.

Then I thought maybe I have hard water since I use well water and maybe there is an excess of calcium which is depleting the potassium but again, why would this matter while they were trying to root and how could they get so sick so fast??

I'm going to add pics of the sick cuttings in cloner (you can see on the left are the older clones getting sick) Also pics of the sick
clones after planting as well as pics of the older healthier clones and the moms

How long has this problem been going on? Since I began using the aeroponic cloner 4 weeks ago. Clones in rockwool did NOT demonstrate the same issue
Are you growing in a PVC grow tent? (example: Hydrohut or any other non brand tents) No
What system are you running? Aeroponic
What STRAIN are you growing? Skunk #1
What is the Water temperature? 72-75 degrees
What color are your roots? White, not slimy
What Nutrient's are you using? Nothing in cloner
What is the pH of the "Tank"? The pH of my water is about 6.9. I recently (4 days ago) went and bought water from the machine in town since I have well water and suspect this may be the issue (too much calcium???) and this pH is about 8 which seems incredibly high to me but I'm waiting to see if the cutting display the same issue
How often do you clean your system: example: Flush out water replace with clean water and nutrients? I add 1/2 gallon a day due to evaporation and clean out the entire reservoir once a week
What size bulb are you using? 2 4ft T5 bulbs
What is your RH Factor(Relative Humidity)? Above 50%

Is your water HARD or SOFT? I don't know!!!
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water? Well water
Are you using water from a water softener? No
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so, What and When? No
Are plant's infected with pest's No

Attachments

• 0406151513.jpg
    0406151513.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 0406151513a.jpg
    0406151513a.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 0406151513b.jpg
    0406151513b.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 0406151513c.jpg
    0406151513c.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 0406151514a.jpg
    0406151514a.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 0406151514b.jpg
    0406151514b.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 0406151514c.jpg
    0406151514c.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 0406151515.jpg
    0406151515.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 0406151516a.jpg
    0406151516a.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 6

MrBelvedere

ICMag Donor
If rockwool was working before, switch back to that... in the meantime you can try to fix the aero cloner by experimenting... good luck

ISM2

They look hungry. How long from the time you take cuttings to the time they're put in soil?
Also, I'd trim more leaves off the cutting, or at least trim the bigger leaves, before putting in cloner. The lower leaves in your 3rd pic look like they have been sitting in water for some time.

oc_grower

I also use an aeroponic cloner with net pots.

Here is what I would do to fix the issue you are having.

1. cut 1/2 off of each leaf.
2. use a feeding solution but make it weak say 1/10 and spray on leaves for feeding
3. spray leaves several times a day with good water (ph'd)
4. clean the tub put fresh with fresh water and ph it to 6.3 but keep an eye on the ph until it stabilizes
5. check the misting nozzles for blockages.

Hey clonegirl, 4 weeks is a long time without any nutrients. If you're using the cloner for the sole purpose of rooting cuttings, then you shouldn't need to keep them in there for more than 2 weeks.

Each cutting should be 2-3 sets of leaves, cut down <1/2 their size.

I prefer to use a very mild mix of nutes in the reservoir (changing halfway through a 2 week cycle).

Are you using a rooting hormone? If not, you should whether it's clonex, aloe solution, etc.

clonegirl

Hey clonegirl, 4 weeks is a long time without any nutrients. If you're using the cloner for the sole purpose of rooting cuttings, then you shouldn't need to keep them in there for more than 2 weeks.

Each cutting should be 2-3 sets of leaves, cut down <1/2 their size.

I prefer to use a very mild mix of nutes in the reservoir (changing halfway through a 2 week cycle).

Are you using a rooting hormone? If not, you should whether it's clonex, aloe solution, etc.

No silly! They are only in the cloner for 10-14 days. I just started using the cloner when I built it 4 weeks ago.

No rooting hormone. When I had an aeroponic cloner before I used clonex but had trouble keeping the pH low enough and it tended to clog up the sprayers.

My sprayers still get clogged with leaf matter etc. so I clear them every other day.

So far using the RO water from town seems to be working but its pH is like 8! seems so high.

I have been foliar feeding as well.

Thks for the suggestions

Seedfiend

Had the same issue, PH PH PH !! 5.8 is best, roots will start on day 6 and by day 14 they will be about 10cm long and ready to be planted over!

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
No feed despite what snype says:biggrin:
5.8ph
2ml/gal KLN
1ml/gal protekt
No foliars
Look at what the inventor of these things says, KLN and Protekt, nothing else.:tiphat:

Dready_jake

Ya they don't have roots so they don't need either pH or nutrients.
Id say its too dry or too warm/cold. I cut, scrape (experimented and scraping shaved a couple days on most strains), and throw it in the cloner for 10days in the money. No nutrients hormones none of that shit.
ENVIRONMENT ENVIRONMENT ENVIRONMENT.

I LOVE MY DIY CLONER!

I did have one root before the rest and get hungry so i pulled her out dipped her into some feed I was gonna give her mom held her for a few seconds to absorb into roots then back to cloner

Latest posts

Latest posts