What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does having a greenhouse = probable cause for search warrant?

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
there was recently a case in my county, where a man was raided for marijuana cultivation. in the search warrant, it said that the probable cause was that a helicopter flew over and saw greenhouses from the sky. that was enough to get the warrant apparently, but from what I've heard from some lawyers, having a greenhouse or greenhouses alone is not enough evidence for a legit search warrant.

is there anybody who can shed light on this? I'm very curious as to if the local pigs can get a search warrant on my property just because i have a couple of hoop houses in the backyard.

from the legal consultation I've already had, the only real solid ways to get search warrants for medical marijuana grows in northern california is through 1) snitches or complainants, aka victims of crime 2) traffic stops where solid evidence of drug sales is found and linked back to a residence 3) actual visual of marijuana plants from the air, not covered by a greenhouse

i am scheduling some meetings this week with lawyers to get their insight, but hoping to hear from people on here. anybody get raided and have their search warrant mention visual of greenhouses??

Probable cause for a search warrant is usually set forth in a sworn affidavit by a law enforcement officer to a judge. The affidavit must provide a substantial basis from which a magistrate can reasonably conclude there is a fair probability that the place to be searched contains contraband or evidence of a crime. (Illinois v. Gates (1983) 462 U.S. 213, 238.) In order to pass constitutional muster, a search warrant affidavit must contain facts that establish a sufficient nexus between criminal activity and the place to be searched. (People v. Hernandez (1994) 30 Cal.App.4th 919; U.S. v. Lebron 729 F.2d 533; U.S. v. Savoca 739 F.2d 220; U.S. v. Freeman 685 F 2d 942; U.S. v. Lucarz 430 F2d 1051; U.S. v. Hendricks 743 F2d 653; U.S. v. Hove (9th Cir. 1988) 848 F.2d 137.)

GoeRilla

So thats why so many helicopters fly over here. In my country every second or third garden has a greenhouse. :)

Rilla.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
have a look around google earth and see if you can tell the difference between a basil greenhouse and a light dep weed greenhouse.

Or the difference between a commercial farming op and one that grows weed.

they got nothing to worry about serving search warrants on light dep greenhouses.

I worked one day picking green house basil when I was a young man in CA. didn't make it past lunch.

youngster with game would find a legit nursery business that needed some cash and provide camouflage for the greenhouses.
I'll bet they don't waste money flying choppers over fig orchards or avocado farms….yet.

W

WeetisPotPie

This case will easily be thrown out, that is no different than the police getting a search warrant because they saw you come out of Home Depot with soil and pots from their garden center. The real problem is it doesn't stop them from breaking in and fucking your shit up with no repercussions on their end, so way would they stop. Leo knows that a raid puts the fear of god into most growers and that is a healthy tool for them to have.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
bullshit...a good lawyer should be able to get it gone....you still lose tho ..the crop and lawyer fees...either way the cops win...don't cost them anything and they know it.. ....yeehaw...someone needs to sue the police and judge for violating their rights...only when they are held accountable will it stop...they don't care and know there aint no reprocussions ..

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
there is a lawyer meeting tonight and i will hopefully have updated info. i am also still waiting to hear back on personal legal counsel.

i have very big suspicions their search warrant was illegal. they are absolutely breaking the law and hoping that most defendants are too dumb or broke to get proper legal counsel. they will not find that with me, i have one of the best lawyers in the state on retainer and I'm considering adding more to the war chest.

i havent even built my greenhouses yet lol…but they are not typical ghetto grow GHs, they are cold frames with 2 ft sidewalls that look exactly like the GHs used in many farms I've seen around california for growing regular crops.

vostok

Veteran
Does having a greenhouse = probable cause for search warrant?
No Fucking Way...! but does supply an viable excuse for some illegal observation and sneaky shit from the local police club...?

DrFever

Veteran
That all depends really people????? sure more n more green houses are being put up with the cost of vegetables and fruits probably on the rise But is it probable cause ??? depends on many factors has the person ever been charged with drug crime???, have neighbors complained about the smell of pot, ??? right many variables if they got a search warrant this means a judge allowed it and the police or Who ever have probable cause of ilegal activity
Judges just do not sign warrants for the hell of it they sign cause they showed prove of some sort of possible illegal activity will it get thrown out of court who knows but you got to realize its going to cost money at the end of the day...
Lawyers are not cheap especially criminal ones actually they have the highest retainer fee
i have seen retainer fee's over 30,000 before they would even bother Drug related
To think you have rights is pretty funny these days really if cops can shoot n kill a un armed man and get away with it .... kinda proves a point
with many bills being passed with out you even knowing puts you at the mercy of the law and government they can do anything they want if you dont like it TO BAD Get used to it

Truth of the matter is YOU have know fucking RIGHTS you are not a citizen but rather a tenant in the great ole US of A
And thanks to the Government for placing a 60,000 dollar debt on every man women and child in USA all you are allowed to do is pay that debt back one way or the other

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
judges do indeed sign bad warrants all the time..i have beaten a case where one should never of been issued..second party heresay and a bunch of other bullshit...they dragged my sorry ass back from florida to maine...I beat the case..should of sued as I lost everything and sat in jail for a bit....heard later on I could of gotten thousands of dollars for every day incarcerated....yeehaw

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
thanks for the contributions y'all.

for this specific case, the defendant was priorly charged with cultivation and distribution of marijuana but had his case dismissed. so maybe being charged only 2 years previously + having a greenhouse was enough for a search warrant? there is also rumors that a complaint was made from a neighbor about growing marijuana, but that has not been verified yet due to the county trying to keep the complainant anonymous.

they set up an anonymous complaint system here, but the disclaimer on the sheriffs website does say that if charges are pressed in court, that anonymity goes out the window. so i believe they do that to make their search warrant more valid because "some random guy who is not identified said theres weed there" is not enough for legit probable cause, they need an actual CI or victim to testify to that for it to stand up in court.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
anon complaint====...cop using burner or pay phone...yeehaw

exactly, but in court for a conviction they will need to release the information behind the complaint. so it basically gives them probably cause to go fuck with somebody's grow and take their money, put them through the system. but in the long run hopefully no conviction happens.

it says on the anonymous complaint website itself that they cannot garuntee they will remain anonymous if the case goes to criminal court.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
a GOOD judge would not bite on that. unfortunately, good judges are even more rare than pussy-pink unicorns... :biggrin:

from what a local lawyer tells me, the judges are just blindly signing off on warrants without good probable cause just hoping the defendants are too dumb to hire or pay for a good lawyer to drop the case. 9/10 the defendants accept a plea deal and things move along….most people dont have the deep pockets or a patient good lawyer to fight the case correctly.

DrFever

Veteran
exactly, but in court for a conviction they will need to release the information behind the complaint. so it basically gives them probably cause to go fuck with somebody's grow and take their money, put them through the system. but in the long run hopefully no conviction happens.

it says on the anonymous complaint website itself that they cannot garuntee they will remain anonymous if the case goes to criminal court.

Not necessarily being this is about drugs and Federal the so called person might fall under some protection witness plan meaning they can never produce the identity Drugs Gangs murder is on the minds of millions of non smoking citizens minds Right ???
Just saying a sworn affidavit by the witness is all they need and how many just because someone calls in a complaint of hey i smell weed coming from so n so 's house there complainant needs to go to court make sense i call on a person cause there musics to loud ??? A complaint police investigate and see a meth lab does this mean i have to go to court ???
Bottom line was there a grow op ?? did they find plants ??? if so he is fucked even if his previous was dismissed its still on his record no matter what i beat the fuck out of 2 cops long time ago it got thrown out of court yet if i get pulled over by one cop once they call in my plate there are 3 cruisers there in seconds by the way this happened 15 years ago

PS most of the grow ops caught are just that called in complaints the police rely on the public for this

120Octane

Your over looking this.

If I was popo in a chopper would I have a device to enhance my vision? Proboly would.

If I was hovering 400 ft off the ground using a device to zoom in can I see whats inside of the green house? Proboly can because most use clear cover on a hoop house.

If I can visually without a doubt get a warrent because I used a set of binocularsto look into your green house and bust your shit? You tell me

120Octane

Having a greenhouse and known as a grower there going to watch you. Just because theres a state law its federal illegal still. I do not live in a med state. It cracks me up in med state eveyone thinks they can flaunt plants and expect a loose state law to protect them. Just because your in a med state does not mean much for a grower in any state. If there was actual protectionthen why are growers still taken down over a smell complaint or gardens tore out regaurdless plant count under the limits. Keep it indoors, keep the mouth shut still applys. Cali is loosing the fight because people know big amounts of money are made in od crops and far to many lazy asses do not want to dedicate themselves and learn, so they cry and whine.

mack 10

Veteran
Also, I got raided and it turned out illegal entry was made by po po.
Lawyer told me that even though the search was illegal because they found
Plants it didnt matter.
Mind you this was UK.

120Octane

If all popo needs is visual to get a warrent then the out door method is done. Binoculars and a chopper bam its issue time for warrents. Is there anything in the law on visual methods that can be used? Doubt it, binoculars or a spotting scope will let them see in. Move it indoors be safe keep mouth shut dont do anything to cause attention. There trying to let the big money whare houses take over. Limiting grow area is happening and everyone knows it will be enforced. People may try play shuffle routine with pots in that space, but all it takes is 1 picture from popo taken of that garden to show law is broken. That happens its game over.

Dont forget cops do own predator drones and if nocal doesnt sure dea could have them flown. Time for people to admit to themselves med state laws and growers are not equell. It stops you from getting hauled in for a joint and thats about it.

Laws never will be in growers favor,if anything the whare houses will have the favor because its indoors not in sight.

fulltimehuman

an anonymous complaint is like plastic silverware.The Plaintiff MUST appear. And when he/she does, do they have first hand knowledge in the matter?If not motion to strike the attorney and any third party interveners after him!