What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Collecting Pollen For Breeding ~ My Style

I use to grow outdoors only so I liked to make seeds and have a sensi bud on the same plant for smoke. so i decide what buds get pollinated and let the main cola grow seedless. here is how i go about it...

~SELECTING A MALE
Males should be smelled and observed of their floral traits. These traits include sturdiness, stem & branching structure, density or number of stamen/pollen basket clusters in a single area, stem or stamen colors, trichome production, & smells. what you think your plants should look & smell like, is what you should select. By rubbing the leaves and stem of males you can determine if they have the potential for breeding or if they are genetically inferior. Male plants should be fragrant (not just ganja green or soap-like) and trichome production should be looked at wit at least a 10X scope. Frosty males will most likely make frosty females or at least a percentage of them; & further selection will have to be done in the future to keep the line more stable. By saving the pollen from the original male, you can make the line more uniform threw the use of back crossing or inbreeding with your best females from future offspring. select your best females and your best male to cross with and keep your seeds from the best specimen. with future generations your line will become more and more stable as time goes on.

edit: when i was strictly working outdoors and i had 1 male but a bunch of females to try... i would use the 1 chosen male's pollen on all the different pheno's that looked like winners, smoke tested them when they were dry to figure out which i would like to grow, & which ones tasted like garbage or simply don't compare to a better one in the batch.

~Harvesting Your Male, Collecting The Pollen, and Storage~

I fill a 16 oz. solo cup or a shot glass with tap water and cut the top of the male off about 6"-10" long. this makes it easy for the plant to lean and drop the pollen onto a collection plate. I used my keif box collecting tray as the collection plate, glass is also excellent for collecting, paper, foil and plastic are also options but are not as good, they will work just not as good.

Place the fresh cut stem into the water as soon as you cut it for better preservation. plants store for about two weeks with 1 or 2 - 20 watt CFL bulbs, sufficient air supply, and the water is changed once every 2-4 dayz. Treat it like a flower in a vase, try not to expose the bottom of the stem to air for more than a few seconds becuz this will create an air bubble in the stem and the plant won't last as long as expected. During the time it is kept alive in the cup of water... the cut at the bottom might start to shrivel, so i cut off the dead part to let the fresh cut stem take up the water.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

once the pollen is collected on a tray, it is scraped up with a brand new razor blade and stored in a clean baby food jar. EDIT: READ BELOW ABOUT THE NEW STOTAGE JARS(Clean the hell out of the jar and make sure it is bone dry as water kills pollen and would cause your pollen to mold.

attachment.php

My last 3 pollen collections went bad because the baby food jars are not as airtight as i would have liked. my new jar of choice is the ball 4oz canning jar. it has a band, lid & seal just like the big ones. Case of 12 quilted jars include 2-piece silver colored caps. Mouth size is 2-1/2" in diameter. 4 fluid ounce equals 1/2 cup. These jars can also be used for freezing.

attachment.php

~Pollinating The Females

Once you have collected your pollen you can now use a horse hair paintbrush to dip into your pollen and "paint" onto your selected buds to pollinate. Careful about flinging the pollen around, be delicate and wipe any excess pollen off the brush on, the inside of the jar. It works easier if you try to use the tip of the brush only. personally I like to pollinate lower branches only and leave the top colas seed free for great sensimilla smoke.

once your used the desired amount of pollen, cap the pollen and store in the freezer for up to 18 months. viability goes down with age and i've even read an article that stated stored pollen may also generate more males but honestly I think you get males no matter what seeds you grow... well unless their feminized but you get the idea.

TIP: If pollinating in an indoor setup i would recommend changing your cloths once leaving the room to prevent any future accidental pollination if re-entering the room in the same day. another good tip is to use a spray bottle to kill any stray pollen. Always allow at least 4 weeks for your seeds to mature before harvesting.

EDIT: water actually breaks down the cell wall of pollen, it doesn't kill it immediately. if i can find the article, i will post the pics of the various stages

Attachments

• pollen_collection 4.JPG
    pollen_collection 4.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 55
  • pollen_collection 1.JPG
    pollen_collection 1.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 51
  • pollen_collection 3.JPG
    pollen_collection 3.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Grape_Male 1.JPG
    Grape_Male 1.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 53
  • jar_size.JPG
    jar_size.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 50

burns1n209

Thanks alot. Im getting close to try some breeding on some outdoor plants i have. I was gonna look in next few days on the process but you just saved me the time in searching and it looks like you have it down well. Thanks for the write up...Burns

anchient

nice post and pics! i am also getting ready to pollinate with cs pollen. i don't believe that water kills pollen if mixed and used right away. i know away to mix pollen and water for a more controlled way to apply pollen to buds. you can pollinate 1 female plant with 2 or 3 kinds of pollen on different branches or stems. you can use a eye dropper or syreing [ and yes my spelling is bad or sucks ] if water killed pollen, or cannabis pollen,there would be no plants,tree,mushrooms,ect.but i really like what you said about everything else. i have used the little paint brush way. on my plants. my mom grew and pollened rare African violets and other rare plants. had a small all year round green house. we use jars with re-dried rice to keep pollen dry. i only grow outside so it's not that hard to cut a male or make 1 on from female from cs way. we used to move the best male miles away, treated like shit, move into a 5 gal. bucket. had plenty of pollen. used it, saved it in freezer for next year. sometimes if we liked it. grew same strain for 20 years off and on. miss that strain, some seeds from Hawaii[ the state ] some 50/50 indaca /sativa. very big, very strong. from the 1970s. i belive in keeping all strains alive. we will be better off if everyone at least knows how to breed and make their own seeds out of the their best. i think or hope that someone will make a plant with 30% THC levels that is big and easy to grow. remember white widow from 20 years ago. nobody thought that you could make or grow a plant that would tested 18-19% thc. herajuna ibl 24%. grown from 2 different plants, then crosed the country [USA] then make it's way to Holland. nice post! later anchient

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
good post but i think it is important to add the step of drying the pollen properly - especially if it is to be frozen - because any humidity - even just in the air in the jar - will condense out as the temperature drops and kill the pollen (im pretty certain that water does kill pollen! )

i put the collected pollen on a wrap of paper in a container with some silica gel or dried rice for 24 hours. this will make sure the pollen is properly dry even if you live in a humid area. you should also add similar a dessicant to the jar you store the pollen in and let it stand a few hours before freezing.

VG

Blaz3

Can I cut off a nice,male branch with alot of sacks,stick the stem through aluminum foil,then into cup of water?

So the foil catches the pollen?..I really like this tek,nice and simple,props brotha!!

skaZe

Pretty nice one I'm just about to make some Haze Seeds aswell, since I had 2 bagseeds, 1male 1female muaha, and the female rly rocked in tha grow room.

Thx for the great stuff, gonna use that to collect my Haze pollen.

smilley

Veteran
Hey TNG, I'm glad I found this thread. I've got 2 males over 4 ft tall in my wife's overwintering room for geraniums. They're stinkin the house out (no odor filtration/usually no need) and I was hoping to find a good way to collect pollen from them when I stumbled into this thread. You're technique will dramatically reduce the odor and simplify collection for me. Thanks a million!!!!!!!!!

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
great thread new guy, i was actually just cruising thru thre breeding section looking for a thread just like this one, then found this one. thanks again, great method, w addition of drying pollen for cold storage.

Hey folks... just wanted to stop in & say thank you for the kind words.

i never got to show my favorite male because the 5 pic per post thing. since i have a fresh post to show 5 more... here are a few of my past favorites.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^
great pics!

how do u time the cutting of your tops to ensure good pollen and not too long in the glass of water waiting for pollen to drop.
i kno that differs strain to strain, time wise, maybe u can post a pic of the tops & sacks @ the perfect time to cut?

thnks!