What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

stealth sealed room for own consume

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Great looking update!

I would place a fermentation lock on each fermentation champer, then have the Co2 go into the room above the canopy. For a better and more even mixture, as Co2 is a heavy gas that will sink to the floor.

A upward pointing fan on the floor, (if you don't already have one) will also help mixing the Co2 more evenly into the room.

unnamedmike

Great looking update!
I would place a fermentation lock on each fermentation champer, then have the Co2 go into the room above the canopy. For a better and more even mixture, as Co2 is a heavy gas that will sink to the floor.
A upward pointing fan on the floor, (if you don't already have one) will also help mixing the Co2 more evenly into the room.

Thanks Palindrome:tiphat: the wall room got a 6 "hole in the upper left corner, at 20 cm from the minisplit and just above the canopy, was the old air exhaust. I just need a longer tube from fermenters and easily implement your advice
Currently the co2 tube enters through the future irrigation tube that I dont use yet (I keep the deposit inside the room temporarily while the "pleasant" Caribbean summer ends)
You're absolutely right, I need to add airlocks to the fermenters, but the ones I find seem weak... Part of the next update will be an arduino bubble count airlock for each fermenter, to check when to change the mix, but I don't decide which airlock model install, or if maybe a DIY one.

Last edited:

unnamedmike

nice, lots of work for sure. co2 setup is neat
smile.gif
ThanksMed-Grower_TOm
tiphat.gif
Im learning step by step, I got next version already designed, but going out of resources for R&D for a few days.

Last edited:

unnamedmike

By eliminating the fan air exhaust / intake and the large fan (110v) in exchange for the inverter minisplit at 220v and a smaller fan, I reduced the electricity bill by more than 100usd. Yesterday I changed the led blooming light from 110v to 220V, I hope with optimism the next bill, no doubt the 12awg cables are now cold, yesterday not.
Buy several airlock to control the fermentation, and buy a dehumidifier to finish the flowering without problems.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

unnamedmike

I love it all! Nice work.
Thanks mate, i appreciate :tiphat:

I moved my office to the grow room. Its my idea since I moved to my current home, but its now when here is habitable. Being close to the plants make easier modify the "grow system"
In my crusade for lowering the electricity bill, I eliminated the growth fan (120w) and replaced it with an 80w exhaust fan connected to a dust / carbon filter. Doing that I avoid smell from blooming, growth room and the smell of my smoke.

The final design will include this modification, with a better solid filter (HEPA instead of the baby blanket ...) and an efficient 220v extractor instead of my current scrap.

I also moved the growth zone to its final place. Its just a horrible prototype of what it will be, but it allows me to change the LEDs from 110 to 220v and also to imagine the final design easier. Sorry for the hanging wires, it's just a prototype. I temporarily added a second 120w led lamp, for cuttings and seedlings.

I cant continue working in the blooming room, my current crop need 2 weeks to finish free from dust and thinner. Nor can I continue in the growth zone temporarily. But Im doing some good advances in the growth controller, now the GC got a SD card where store data, no more eeprom or constants.

picture.php

Fixer

I tried a couple of cheap carbon filters which where not worth the money. I finally spent on a Phresh filter it made a world of difference.

unnamedmike

I tried a couple of cheap carbon filters which where not worth the money. I finally spent on a Phresh filter it made a world of difference.
Thanks for the tip :tiphat: I'll try to buy that brand when I upgrade the veg room, they seem very well done.

My current problem with carbon filters is humidity, its rainy season here and humidity reaches 90%. With high humidity the filter does not work 100% and leaves some smell in the "office"

Iamnumber

Thanks for the tip :tiphat: I'll try to buy that brand when I upgrade the veg room, they seem very well done.

My current problem with carbon filters is humidity, its rainy season here and humidity reaches 90%. With high humidity the filter does not work 100% and leaves some smell in the "office"
phress or some oother quality brand is the best easy bet to resolve that.

unnamedmike

phress or some oother quality brand is the best easy bet to resolve that.
Thanks Iamnumber:tiphat: I'll try to buy a quality brand when I upgrade the veg room.

My exhaust fan is dimmed at 50%, last night I left it at 100% and this morning there is no smell in the room. The problem is noise, its an economic exhaust fan of 460 cfm. In the next update I will buy a dimmable exhaust fan, silent and larger than the current one, to move 460cfm silently.

Today I harvested the plants in the blooming room. They are drying a few days in that room. In 3 days they go to glass jars.
After that finally i gonna be able to finish the pending updates in the room.

1-Finish insulating ceiling and door, with metal bubble insulation.
2-Connect a hose to the dehumidifier for direct drainage.
3-Make the minisplit drain directly to drain (now draining in the irrigation tray) to lower humidity easiest
4-Install automatic irrigation.
5-Add a rack to have nothing on the floor
6-Install more hooks on the wall for two more scrog nets
7-Install the new grow controller, still a prototype, but working.

Fixer

I think you're on the right track with the larger fan. Something twice as big run at half speed should be quieter.

Iamnumber

Thanks Iamnumber:tiphat: I'll try to buy a quality brand when I upgrade the veg room.

My exhaust fan is dimmed at 50%, last night I left it at 100% and this morning there is no smell in the room. The problem is noise, its an economic exhaust fan of 460 cfm. In the next update I will buy a dimmable exhaust fan, silent and larger than the current one, to move 460cfm silently.

Budget permitting .. I would put priority for a silent noise level when operating at 100% at 200% of required capacity. This will give the option to drop noise further by dimming to 50%.

Starting with cheap and noisy high output fan will require time, effort and money when you struggle to make it quiet.

Dig deep to find out db level of the fan before you buy it and try to locate item that roughly matches that db level so that you can listen to it for couple of hours. (many just look at specs and go .. 43db, thats quite good .. untill the try to work in a room with that unit running .. 43db is really really annoying..

ok, say you dim the 43db unit.. I am guessing here but sound level might drop to 36db or there abouts .. lets say 30 db .. that is still (IMHO) very much in the annoying levels.

unnamedmike

Budget permitting .. I would put priority for a silent noise level when operating at 100% at 200% of required capacity. This will give the option to drop noise further by dimming to 50%.
Starting with cheap and noisy high output fan will require time, effort and money when you struggle to make it quiet.
Dig deep to find out db level of the fan before you buy it and try to locate item that roughly matches that db level so that you can listen to it for couple of hours. (many just look at specs and go .. 43db, thats quite good .. untill the try to work in a room with that unit running .. 43db is really really annoying..
ok, say you dim the 43db unit.. I am guessing here but sound level might drop to 36db or there abouts .. lets say 30 db .. that is still (IMHO) very much in the annoying levels.

Hi Iamnumber and thank you for the help mate :tiphat:

I don't know how to measure decibels without an adequate tool, my cellphone says 43db in absolute silence and in absolute silence its may be 30db, 43db is supposed to be the noise generated by a conversation between people, so I don't trust the app, I think I need to buy something more reliable.

With the exhaust fan dimmed at 50% and measuring with my cellphone, its 54db and dimmed 100% 67db.
I dont know how wrong is my app, the "54db" are comfortable to hear, any small fan or minisplit makes an equal or greater amount of noise.
I think at the moment I will buy a much larger carbon filter and the extractor will buy the next time I go to Spain (220v and there are growshops, here 110v and I no growshop nearby)

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some folks are having situations where the fan begins to hum when turned down. Are you having these issues, Mike? I guess I should first ask what are you using to dim the fan down? Have you considered a duct muffler as well?

Iamnumber

Hi Iamnumber and thank you for the help mate :tiphat:

I don't know how to measure decibels without an adequate tool, my cellphone says 43db in absolute silence and in absolute silence its may be 30db, 43db is supposed to be the noise generated by a conversation between people, so I don't trust the app, I think I need to buy something more reliable.

With the exhaust fan dimmed at 50% and measuring with my cellphone, its 54db and dimmed 100% 67db.
I dont know how wrong is my app, the "54db" are comfortable to hear, any small fan or minisplit makes an equal or greater amount of noise.
I think at the moment I will buy a much larger carbon filter and the extractor will buy the next time I go to Spain (220v and there are growshops, here 110v and I no growshop nearby)

db levels:
remember that db levels depend on how far from the item the measurement is taken. Background noise is actually fairly loud (in store etc.). One of my preferred method is to use an item (vacume cleaner etc.) that have documented noise level and use that as comparison. you can use such to check your db app accuracy. If you visit large electronics chain you can look through vacume cleaners , put them on, measure noise level from 1m or so with mobile phone and check the data from the infosheet. move to next .. when clerks come to chat, just say that you are looking for a new cleaner and are looking best value deal including suction/noise levels ..

Cheap & noisy inline fan has sales info sticker that says 66db (100% I assume)
Prime product has tech specs that say 20-25db at 100% (depending on model)

these two are world apart IF noise is an issue. inline fans last a long time so I would upgrade to prime product when that time comes.

note on dimming..
there are few different methods on how to dim. some methods are worse than others and produce vibrations (and noise). Hence it is better to buy prime product and then think about dimming if still needed.

if you buy 220v inline fan and plug it into 110v mains .. to best of my understanding .. you effectively dim it by 50% with voltage drop (voltage drop: works with most fans, no easy dial control over dimming -- again, with my limited understanding & experience).

unnamedmike

Some folks are having situations where the fan begins to hum when turned down. Are you having these issues, Mike? I guess I should first ask what are you using to dim the fan down? Have you considered a duct muffler as well?

Hi Vash thanks for stopping by and thanks for the tips :tiphat: Currently there is only the filter and the fan, Ive removed the 6" tube, but your idea of the duct muffler has given me the idea that maybe putting another filter at the out of the fan would also work as a silencer. The fan is dimmed with a think called active air, work great, no motor frequency noise from 0 to 100%.

Last edited:

unnamedmike

db levels:
remember that db levels depend on how far from the item the measurement is taken. Background noise is actually fairly loud (in store etc.). One of my preferred method is to use an item (vacume cleaner etc.) that have documented noise level and use that as comparison. you can use such to check your db app accuracy. If you visit large electronics chain you can look through vacume cleaners , put them on, measure noise level from 1m or so with mobile phone and check the data from the infosheet. move to next .. when clerks come to chat, just say that you are looking for a new cleaner and are looking best value deal including suction/noise levels ..

Thank you very much for the info imnumber, very useful, taking note
tiphat.gif

Cheap & noisy inline fan has sales info sticker that says 66db (100% I assume)
Prime product has tech specs that say 20-25db at 100% (depending on model)
these two are world apart IF noise is an issue. inline fans last a long time so I would upgrade to prime product when that time comes.
note on dimming..
there are few different methods on how to dim. some methods are worse than others and produce vibrations (and noise). Hence it is better to buy prime product and then think about dimming if still needed.
Again thanks mate. The fan is dimmed with a stuff called active air, work great, no motor frequency noise from 0 to 100%.

if you buy 220v inline fan and plug it into 110v mains .. to best of my understanding .. you effectively dim it by 50% with voltage drop (voltage drop: works with most fans, no easy dial control over dimming -- again, with my limited understanding & experience).
My house has 110v or 220v. The change to 220v is for savings in electric bill, at 220v is half cost and less cable thickness is needed (Amps = Watts / Volts) Watts law.

unnamedmike

I tried to make a rack in the wall, but the material i keep at home does not reach me, the current one is functional but I do not trust the durability or the weight that it is capable of withstanding. The rack can with what you see in the photo without any problem, but the dehumidifier is 35kg and 280usd, and another 20l fermenter is needed.
I'm gonna redo the rack with appropriate materials, i don't like keep stuff on the room floor. In the future, i want to continue the rack to the ceiling.
The growcontroller Co2 / temperature / humidity probe is working and in the blooming room since yesterday.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

unnamedmike

The plumbing part of the automatic irrigation is almost finished. I need to cut and connect the thin tube, but I need more tweezers to be able to attach the tube to the pots. I tried drilling a hole in the pot to insert the tube, but I didn't like it.
The thin tube I use at the moment is for gardening, but it seems too rigid, I'm looking for a more flexible tube. The next step will be connect the pump to one of the growcontroller relays.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts