What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

When to harvest!?!?!?!

GrassNewb

So do the brownish hairs have any indication of the plant being ready to harvest?

Or is it only the trichomes shown in POST#3 that are an indicator?

Last edited:

glasspackedbowl

Medical Test grower. Inquire within...
Veteran
When the pistils are 50 % brown , red , gold etc , etc , this only means that the plant is entering into the phase of maturing

i like mostly amber or cloudy and amber.

Is there another phase after amber when the trics start to fall off their stem and you went too long?

can you tell me maybe how long after the plants hairs turn orange, like you were saying, they are 'entering maturity', will it take for them to a: start bushing out more (bud growing)? i know it depends on strain. i dunno what the hell i got as it was all given to me about 2 years ago and intermingled too much to keep track of. second half of question b: be time to cut them?

thxs for all the other info. i think checking with my microscope has knocked the balls off the stems. some of my leaves look ball-less as my cat. i dont know if it was me or just nature. whenever i see a leaf like this it always seems to only have amber balls where they still have them.

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
After the pistols change color your at most 2 weeks from harvest. If you are knocking off the resin gland heads its been too long. At about the 2nd week of 12/12 they should start to fill out and at the last 2 weeks they will swell and fatter a bit more. Its more like filling out then growing more buds. Its adding weight to your already grown buds.

your micro scope should be at least 100X or better if not this this could be the reason for the missing balls.

Thats funny my cats missing his balls also...Whos stealing them Micheal Jackson??? JK

thank you. one thing confusing me is the whole 8 week flowering thing. mine seem to be done and orange hairs and starting to turn amber after 6 weeks. so i have been waiting. too long i guess. i will have to axe murder them when i first notice the balls falling off. my cat is missing his too.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Forget the hairs, check the trichs. The RS scope can be had for $10. The Eyeclops for $20. Anything over 100X is useless, 100X is usable, 60X is far better, 30X better still. The smaller the mag the greater the field of vision.

If you're worried about sucking up nutes, give them a good flush first but plants that are fully awake are far easier to trim and moist buds will take longer to dry which will result in cooler smoke.

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
thank you. one thing confusing me is the whole 8 week flowering thing. mine seem to be done and orange hairs and starting to turn amber after 6 weeks. so i have been waiting. too long i guess. i will have to axe murder them when i first notice the balls falling off. my cat is missing his too.

Yeah a little too long it would seam. yes pick up a mag from wwwDOTradioshackDOTcom Model: MM-100 Catalog #: 63-1313
picture.php

they have a new model out looks like it will facilitate better viewing

Jack Pot

I agree. This is the method first timers should use to find out what type of high a plant can offer and what suits them best.

Yes, it makes all the difference. And the second grow is easier when you know what to look for.

Here are some ( burned ) :wallbash: Jack Herers at 8 weeks in flower. There were three phenos in my F2 batch, originally from a Sensi trait. This was my second grow ever.

1: I called this the RoundBudJack pheno. It was all cloudy at this 8 week point, still no amber. Potent with a balanced head/ body stone. Yes, strong, it only needs a flush at this point, it gets a bit dull if let amber IMO. I let it go too long the first time,to me the potency and the clarity suffered amber.

70245roundbudjack-med.jpg

2: This was my RedBudJack pheno. It had less body stone and a bit more heady high. A lot milder at this point,being almost cloudy at 8 weeks. But this liked some amber to get the potency up. Not nearly as much body stone as the RoundBud had. Milder, no matter what. Still time to go here:

70245redbudjack-med.jpg

3: Here is the slow pheno, WhiteBudJack:

70245whitebudjack2-med.jpg

Lower buds still growing white,too:

70245whitebudjack-med.jpg

At 8 weeks, this had no body stone at all and the head high was pretty mild but it was there. Like an Irish Coffee, so to speak. But compared to the RoundBud one, this was really mild at this point. Even at 10 week and some amber, this won´t get as "bodily" as the Round one. The round one was like ten Irish Coffees, hehe. I like this too though, a daytime upper with not too much speed or trippiness.

----------------------------------------

I kept the White and the Round one. Insomnia is gone, even with the white one when not smoked too much... but I want the White pretty amber to get the potency there. The body thingy really won´t be there, no matter how amber.

The "in-the -middle" RedBud pheno was not as good a yeilder as the RoundBud,another reason to keep the round one. It´s also more sensitive to the nutes so one day I´ll have a proper grow with the RoundBud only.

-----------------------------------------

What did I learn? Nothing. I can´t tell by the trichs what I like until I have grown and tried the strain a few times. Reading the trichs will help to duplicate the grow the next time. And only when I have it down to one pheno I can really learn to grow it. At least I hope so. These plants are individuals like us.

70245jack2overview8w2-med.jpg

The one keeper would be RoundBud. I think there are more appropriate strains for the trippy ups or stoney downs.

Anyway, without checking the trichs I´d be all lost. And I´d have missed my best Jack Herer pheno by going generally "slightly amber" , IMO.

S

Stoner Gardener

Thanks for this thread glasspackedbowl. Very informative.
I'm nearing harvest and am wondering if I should still be using CO2 in the flower room or not.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
Thanks for this thread glasspackedbowl. Very informative.
I'm nearing harvest and am wondering if I should still be using CO2 in the flower room or not.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
if you want to but it might just be a waste of money. I guess if your waiting for a little more to happen with the crop it wouldnt hurt. But if they are done and your just waiting for the resin glands to change color but they have fat heads then get rid of it.

glasspacked, i have that very same scope. i find it a giant PIA to bend over with my fan going to zoom in cause of the field of view. if i turn on my brain and turn off the fan!!! then it does let me see the trics. that is what i have been using to tell that they seem to have fallen flat. i have been, with whatever strain i have, killin them when i see like half amber. this strain tho must not like turning 70% amber as, like i said, they fall off instead.

HEY BRO! THIS POST WAS #50!!!

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
hey guys im back hope all is well I have some new info and things to discuss I have been in the thick of it and now we need tot alk!

Sheesh

Yeah a little too long it would seam. yes pick up a mag from wwwDOTradioshackDOTcom Model: MM-100 Catalog #: 63-1313
picture.php

they have a new model out looks like it will facilitate better viewing

hi i got the same exact scope pictured here but cant seem to get it work. is there a certain way to use this scope? i tried everything but nothing comes out.

cirog

This thread helped me tremendously when I was first harvesting, Thanks for the good info man, even if it is so simple to so many, to us newbies it is vital info. I got a similar scope and rely heavily upon it now.

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
hi i got the same exact scope pictured here but cant seem to get it work. is there a certain way to use this scope? i tried everything but nothing comes out.

Yeah you need to use a leaf and lay it down or you wont be able to focus the scope. Its finicky with how it does the job. Also if the light just isnt working get a small one blub led light from your dollar store and beef up the light and this should help if you still having issues get back to me and ill see if i can find an answer!

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Great thread!

My Question:

I am flowering 10 blueberry plants in soil.

They are on day 65 and are starting to get HEAVY... collapsing branches are tied up everywhere.

Heres my problem, I'm still seeing fresh new green bud growth and new hairs EVERYWHERE... the trichomes are 20% amber and mostly cloudy with some still clear....

I want to wait for the highest yield, but don't want to ruin the bud by waiting to long.

I've been flushing for almost two weeks, leaves are starting to turn yellow.

I was flushing with a flushing agent and Molasses.

Should I wait until it stops budding? or will it just keep going.... this strain is Mostly Indica and I didn't expect this reflowering...

any input would be awesome...

Thanks!!!

Latest posts

Latest posts