What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Marijuana Sold Online in South Africa!

" 'It looks ridiculous. It's as if they're saying hello, I'm a criminal, please lock me up' "

At least two online "coffee shops" have begun operating in recent months, offering what they say is top-grade cannabis at about R125 a gram, plus delivery.

Both sites say marijuana is safe and healthy and should be legal.

"The law on cannabis is wrong," said Chris Bure, one of the brothers who launched Gauteng-based Four Brothers in September 2010.

"The fact that it is illegal is harming so many people. Allowed to freely grow and trade, the benefits of this plant would be felt worldwide, and the South African economy would boom."

Four Brothers, which delivers its goods via a courier service, asks customers to accept a disclaimer stating: "I am purchasing cannabis for personal use and have no criminal intentions whatsoever and understand that the government's illegal, unjustified prohibition is treason."

It also says: "It's not the law that makes something illegal, it's your mind. If you believe cannabis is illegal ... you are not allowed to purchase any cannabis off this web page. Your mind makes you guilty and we do not wish to participate in any criminal activities."

Strains available include Hammer, named for its impact on the smoker; The Builder, "a subtle head stone"; Aurora, "a very nice mental high"; and African sativa, "a nice energetic mind high".

One regular customer, Jonathan Crosthwaite, 36, described the website as "a real blessing" because it was much safer than buying on the street. "It (cannabis) helps me and it's good for me, and the only person that would stop me from that would ... be trying to oppress me," he said.

"I totally disagree with the law. I'm not scared to go to jail if I have to."

Crosthwaite said he had been a regular smoker for 16 years, during which time he had earned Springbok colours in the martial art jiu-jitsu.

"I think Four Brothers are doing a good thing. It is expensive, but you get what you pay for. At least these guys are not taking advantage of us."

He said smoking dagga "makes me feel great, it makes me feel enthusiastic, motivated. The compassionate and merciful thing is to legalise it."

One of the brothers behind the site, Ruan Wentzel, said they had written to President Jacob Zuma and the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) arguing that cannabis should be legal, but had received no substantive response.

"We took the matter into our own hands," Wentzel said.

"The goal became clear to do something that the government does not want anyone to do, and that is to sell/grow cannabis, and inform others of the good that cannabis can really do."

The website, which describes itself as "the cannabis embassy of South Africa", instructs visitors: "This information and web page is designed and intended for use by humans of a mature mind. If you are an adult with an immature mind, please exit the page and return once you are mature enough to handle the truth."

The site says it encourages "active resistance against unjustifiable and unreasonable laws, and rebellion against tyranny and oppression to protect your human rights".

Hawks spokesman McIntosh Polela said the unit had not been aware of the websites before being asked about them by the Sunday Times.

He said there were no immediate plans to investigate, but added: "It looks ridiculous that someone is openly doing something illegal. It's as if they're saying 'Hello, I'm a criminal, please lock me up.' "

NPA spokesman Mthunzi Mhaga said police would need to act before any decision was made to prosecute.

"From a legal point of view this is clearly a criminal offence," he said.

The Four Brothers website requires customers to provide proof that they are 18 or older.

In an e-mail to the Sunday Times, they said: "Although we believe there shouldn't be an age limit, as this plant could help so many kids, we are keeping to an 18 age limit as law dictates that this is when you are capable of making your own decisions."

* Following inquiries from the Sunday Times about dagga sales this week, one of the sites disabled its "coffee shop" page. - Additional reporting Biénne Huisman

http://www.timeslive.co.za/sundaytimes/article866526.ece/Dagga-score-is-a-mouse-click-away

Think this is pretty out there to be honest. SA is quite relaxed but at the same time I feel the police are going to nail these guys to the wall and trust me, you DO NOT want to do jail time in South Africa ( See Ross Kemp when he goes to Pollsmoor Prison in Cape Town)[/B]

Last edited by a moderator:

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
I like the plain truth about human rights and consenting activity among adults in South Africa. South Africa not so long ago conceded that strongly held political tenants (apartheid) were wrong and immoral.

The immorality of cannabis prohibition should be brought to light in every corner of the globe.

:joint:

just another reason i want to visit africa. hom much is r125 in us dollars?

<table class="ucc_in" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="rate" align="right">125.00 ZAR</td> <td class="rate_equal" align="center">=</td> <td class="rate" align="left">17.5070 USD</td></tr></tbody></table>

hazemaker

i hope that works out for them, like the position its all in your mind, kinda got a point and symantecs aside cannibis sativa linneaus, is hemp, all the drug strains fall under cannabis indica lemarck(apologize for my butchering of ther names) thing is these guys in a sense arent breaking the law unless its HEMP cannabis sativa of low drug quality. We kind of all fall in that i suppose, obviously law enforcement would take position that we are all growing and smoking cannabis sativa L or parts therof but they should read the description. Afterall they were after hemp when they terrorized a,erica with hearst yellow journalism, offcourse thats the plant the outlawed and even said in congressional hearings that the had no INTENT TO OUTLAW INDIAN HEMP which has medicinal properties.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Right take the semantics and shove them. Like they said if you grow and smoke indica or sativa good for you. If you want to put your neighbor in a cage for growing cannabis indica or sativa you are scary and a violator of human rights.

:joint:

David762

Sounds like the Four Brothers are fearless libertarians. Never happen openly here in the USA -- we have both criminal | civil asset forfeiture laws, as well as empty private prisons just waiting for new "tenants", which I'd bet that SA does not have.

If the USA DEA got wind of these guys, I could easily imagine some new cash grants to SA local LEOs, as well as a shipment or two of paramilitary SWAT gear, and a dozen embedded trainers.

When it comes to cannabis, the USA DEA is the modern equivalent to the Green Berets of the 1960's -- extending USA suppression of rights & liberties world-wide. They are THE force holding back the tidal wave of cannabis reform -- their agenda is the protection of Big Pharma profits across the globe, all in the name of the UN Single Convention on Narcotics that the USA & Britain pushed through the UN in 1961.

Update:
--------

Just out of interest guys... it took only 4 days....

Guys have shut the site and ceased selling, but one amazing eye opener was this. The cops told them to stop, but no charges were pressed whatsoever!!!! ;)

David762

Definitely a non-USA LEO mindset in SA ...

Definitely a non-USA LEO mindset in SA ...

Update:
--------

Just out of interest guys... it took only 4 days....

Guys have shut the site and ceased selling, but one amazing eye opener was this. The cops told them to stop, but no charges were pressed whatsoever!!!! ;)

Definitely a non-USA LEO mindset in SA ... refreshingly different.

Actually, an amazing difference. Just goes to show just how repressive the USA government has become, and for so very long, that we here in the USA would never see (or expect) such a civil manner from our LEOs at every level -- Feds, State, or Local.

No doubt that the "boiling frog" syndrome has numbed the USA populace into pacifist submission to a tyrannical police state, by design.

"Please sir, may i have some more ... ice cubes for this crock pot?"

Good for them, they had the balls to try it, I wish a million other sites just like theirs would pop up all over the World, Even if they get shut down, it still helps out alot. Respect to them, or we can all sit on the internet talking about the un-just laws.. I wonder which action would help the movement more.

GIS

As soon as the news media brings the spotlight to things like this, they quickly fold, it seems like.

I love the attitude, and agree it should be legalized world wide. I'm pretty sure it wasn't till the us pushed the UN that it was made illegal in over 120 nations where it previously wasn't. I've been studying the history a little more and it's amazing how widely used and accepted it was for such long periods of time.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
if someone set up a mail order marujuana business in the USA that would ship weed to your door via mail, with online menus, etc, it would clock millions of dollars.

E

Eatatjoes

if someone set up a mail order marujuana business in the USA that would ship weed to your door via mail, with online menus, etc, it would clock millions of dollars.

I'll bet it would bank over a million it's first day opening, probably in the tens of millions. Some day:tiphat:

lowridersa

Wow, brings back memories. Sat with the 4 brothers numerous times talking and smoking about cannabis and their efforts. Sadly in reality they were way to early. the plug got pulled by their parents, after they were given an ultimatum by them. I remember the day when the site was taken down, and it just had a local police logo on, they updated it, not the police. They tried, it was great for awhile and then back to scoring on street corners.