What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

am i deranged, or ?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i have sat on stumps until falling snow covered me. i have lain on sandbars while duck hunting until my waders froze to the ground. i have stood all day fishing when it was so damn cold that my line froze in the rod guides. i missed 9 days of work once after swimming to retrieve my own ducks in below zero weather. (no dog, lol.) i sat a tree stand once in rain so hard i got wet inside of a Gore-Tex rainsuit while waiting for deer too smart to be out in shit like that. am i dedicated, or too stupid to get the hell indoors where our "evolved/superior" asses are supposed to be? :biggrin:

troutman

Seed Whore
I still remember retrieving duck decoys in ponds by going in. Learned to use black dacron fishing line real fast to tie an anchor to each with a lead to shore. :biggrin:

sdd420

Veteran
I’m the same way with fishing, ice fishing and hiking distance to fish small streams and lakes

Beaucephus

i’d rather be out in the cold rain then watching tv at home. It’s amazing what u see when u sit quiet n all but motionless.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
My 'Great Outdoors' - is sitting on my balcony lately in suburban London - come rain, wind or shine - I'll be there having a toke -

If I want more nature - then a 100 meter walk to the end of the road and there is the River Thames, and its tow-paths - in all their glory - river full of all sorts of birds and boats - lovely tress - flowers and shrubs abound - and just now is the right time - spring time - to see it all start happening again - I'll happily sit down there by the river - watching the water world go by - for an hour or two -

We all need some nature and nurture in our lives -

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I haven't been camping in a few years. I need it. Even with sleeping on the cold ass ground, there's something about waking up and watching the forest come to life.

Was never a hunter though. Never appealed to me. Fishing though, that's another story. :D

Sunshineinabag

hahaha

hahaha

i have sat on stumps until falling snow covered me. i have lain on sandbars while duck hunting until my waders froze to the ground. i have stood all day fishing when it was so damn cold that my line froze in the rod guides. i missed 9 days of work once after swimming to retrieve my own ducks in below zero weather. (no dog, lol.) i sat a tree stand once in rain so hard i got wet inside of a Gore-Tex rainsuit while waiting for deer too smart to be out in shit like that. am i dedicated, or too stupid to get the hell indoors where our "evolved/superior" asses are supposed to be? :biggrin:

How about a 25 min snow machine ride up to a landing where ya gotta start a fire to be able to turn over your chainsaw its so cold. Humans were not meant to be INSIDE, even a cave has an open door man! Folks like you are what made this country great! I ask myself would i rather be in a foxhole with someone who covets playstation network and collecting overpriced shoes.......or would i like to have someone who is willing to "SUFFER" to complete a task goal.....prettty easy choice

armedoldhippy

Veteran
there's something about waking up and watching the forest come to life.

i'm learning that this is a really big part of what i enjoy about turkey hunting. sitting in the dark, listening to the barred owls & whippoorwills carrying on; waiting for the crows, cardinals, & turkeys to wake up and provide the days music...:tiphat:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Sunshineinabag - or would i like to have someone who is willing to "SUFFER" to complete a task goal.....pretty easy choice[/QUOTE said:
are you really "suffering" while doing something you enjoy? :) i have always considered the elements as part & parcel of the experience. is being cold painful? or just part of the life we choose for ourselves... i like the way you think.:tiphat:

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I added it up one time...

I've spent just shy of 3 years worth of nights in a sleeping bag.

I've known friends who have done way more than that...

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I used to have a friend who had a Lazyboy next to his sliding glass door. He put a salt lick in a tree in the field outside. When the deer arrived he would ask his wife to get the rifle. Then she would open the door and turn on the lights. Not sporty but it kept his freezer full.

These days our morning music is chickens doing the two step outside our window.
picture.php

Sunshineinabag

are you really "suffering" while doing something you enjoy? :) i have always considered the elements as part & parcel of the experience. is being cold painful? or just part of the life we choose for ourselves... i like the way you think.:tiphat:

i was referring to the folks who cant understand doing these things, its SUFFERING to them, i asked a guy if i could have his paycheck if i could get the lawn he was blowing with a backpack blower cleaner and done quicker with a rake? he turned me down.......i enjoy rakes i think they are the better tool for the job when raking, some see using a rake as suffering lmao