What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to make a PVC dripper manifold

I'll throw down one vote for the slighter simplicity of the screw in barbed fitting for those that were wondering about them. No problems here.
Tho now I just use poly line and a punch and just push the feeder lines into that.
Also...points for open end lines. Screw those emitters and such crap :smile:

The length of the feeder line should be roughly equal...but I don't honestly know at what point of differential would the amount of water put out be noticeable...2"?...6"?...12"?...don't know.

See how Pico's mainline is 'looped' and the feeders come off that hoop?...that is what makes the system pressure equal up to that point btw. If you have multiple tables...you first loop the main line from the rez back onto itself. Then you 'Tee' off of that main loop into your individual table loops.
Just thought I'd mention that at as it wasn't mentioned I don't think....

Great post Pico!...just thought I'd throw in some info as well (no need to post another thread on options of the same idea)...hopefully I don't come off as an asshole or anything :cheers:

A link to the screw in barbed fitting

faulker

hey guys. im using this manifold with 1/4 threaded barbs but having problems with water pressure in the back. huge diff! the back hardly get any water. also someone mentioned continuous drip after pump turned off, i get that too. using a garbage bin as my rez so its creating a siphon. any ideas how to even out water pressure?

pico

Veteran
Are you using a continuous loop manifold? You might try a bigger pump to even out pressure.

You need to get yourself an anti-siphon fitting if the water level in the res is higher than the drip lines.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Just a note that some should try their manifolds without drippers, just open lines. It may work better for your application than drippers. I didnt get near enough water flow using drippers in my top feed NFT system but the open lines work great.

lightsincontrol

I have been making a drip ring that is reusable. using standard 1/4 in drip line from the DIY store and a barbed T. I cut a 10 in length of tubing and drill 8 - 5/32in holes in it, insert the T into the ends and connet the third to the feeder line. works great with even flow.

Keep in mind that the manifold, drippers, sprayers for sprinkler systems are ment to be used with 30 PSI - that would be a large pump, better to T off a main line, volume is your friend when pressure is low.

What about for vertical?
If I have it looped, but on different levels, will hydraulics give me equal pressure on each height, or will gravity mess things up?
Correction- That was stupid. No hydraulics with an open system of drippers. Just forget I said it.

solarz

You have to pump up to the very top of your vertical setup, and let gravity aid you in supplying the supply lines/drippers. This calls for a fairly decent sized pump.

You have to pump up to the very top of your vertical setup, and let gravity aid you in supplying the supply lines/drippers. This calls for a fairly decent sized pump.
Is that it? I thought the ol' gravity thing would work against that as well. The bottom row would get way more pressure than the top, no?
It seems like each shelf will have to have it's own manifold to give equal drippage. Drippage, there's a word for you.
On this same topic kind of, can anyone advise a pump capacity for 200 sites with no drippers, just open lines?

Or...
How about one manifold at the top, with longer and longer lines running down to the lower levels? See if this effect where longer lines slow the drip rate down really occurs. Maybe the drips would start more slowly than on the short lines but continue on for longer after the pump shut down while the lines drain down.

richyrich

Out of the slime, finally.
Veteran
I use mag pumps and open lines with this manifold and it works great. All lines disperse water even.

solarz

the longer lines (feeding the bottom row(s) of plants) *MIGHT* have a lesser drip rate, depending on the size/power of the pump you use. In that even, just get some of those adjustable valves and close off the top shelves to even out the flow to all of the sites.

solarz

hey pico and any one else who is reading this thread, and adding there idea's...

anyways i was hoping that some one could tell me the proper gph for a 75site. with a vertical of 7ft head.this is a stadium grow(thank you northern farmer for the idea).4 levels each level with little over 15 site. i have had ppl tell me that i could do this with 400gph. but after reading this thread im not so sure...don't wonna spend money on somthing when im just going to take it back...another thing is that im not sure how im going to run the pvc yet so i that have equal psi all around....any help would be great

Hey,
I need the same type of info. I know a little bit about pumps, and one thing I know is that they'll push water a really long way, but they are much weaker on the suction side. I guess I'm hoping this means that the amount of head won't affect things too much.
I'm now considering just getting a way big pump just to be on the safe side.
SW
Note: Design-wise, I'm now thinking to have a main manifold up high on the end wall, and a "sub-manifold" coming off it for each level of the stadium. With an adjustable valve on the supply line to each level, I think flow could be equalised.

solarz

if you use the correct size drill bit, you won't need to use any silicone, or anything else. The grommet (or 1/4 tubing) will squeeze in and have a perfect fit.

I use pvc w/o the grommets (they were $1 a piece) and stick the supply tubing (1/4in) directly into the pvc. I used a 17/64 dril bit, and had to heat up the tube so it could squeeze into the hole. NO LEAKS!

solarz

richyrich

Out of the slime, finally.
Veteran
if you use the correct size drill bit, you won't need to use any silicone, or anything else. The grommet (or 1/4 tubing) will squeeze in and have a perfect fit.

I use pvc w/o the grommets (they were $1 a piece) and stick the supply tubing (1/4in) directly into the pvc. I used a 17/64 dril bit, and had to heat up the tube so it could squeeze into the hole. NO LEAKS!

solarz

Agreed, they will not leak. Save your thumbs and use some dish washing liquid to push them in and the lines too.

W

W.P.

Agreed, they will not leak. Save your thumbs and use some dish washing liquid to push them in and the lines too.

Great advise here!

(Damn purple thumb lol...)

Another 'tip' or a must: make sure all 1/4 lines are the same length from manifold to insure even flow rates, if open.

And I recommend using 1/2 inch vinyl tubing for manifold instead of pvc for multiple reasons.

Here is my little cheat sheet....

This applies to open 1/4 drip line

About 40 lines for every 1000 gph will get you even flow, any more sites is kinda pushing it.
:tiphat:

pico

Veteran
Yep, no glue with my grommets. They are tight with the right drill bit and like richyrich says, use some dish detergent to get them in or it will be a real pain.

Also, this has been mentioned before but be sure to drill the holes BEFORE you glue everything together. If you don't you will get some pvc shavings clogging up your lines.

W.P. - What are your reasons for vinyl? I am not completely opposed to it, but I much prefer PVC because I know I am not going to get a kink. I also think pvc is less likely to move around and shake a drip line out of a pot.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
I used a bottle of KY liquid I had handy to install the grommets. It's almost impossible to install them without some sort of lube.

It is also in your best interest to ensure each grommet and line is SECURE after each crop. Yes I have had grommets and lines push themselves out of the PVC due to pressure and leaning plants putting force on the lines. A great way to flood is to build out your manifold and then never resecure grommets and lines!