What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mounds or pots?

Dankwolf

Pots are nice if you can water them all the time and have a really secure site.
But the downside is they can get expensive if you need many and they're visible
to the trained eye. I would rather spend the money on more soil, nutrients, etc.
and have the plants grow directly in the soil.

I built my potters for around $44 dollars each . they are 2200 gallon/11 yards .

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Large volumes of soil and huge plants can also be big problems if you cant confidently read the plant and adjust the feed/waterings as needed. Moderate sized pots allow more control at the rootzone in my opinion in regards to watering and being able to feed or flush to correct an issue.

Dankwolf

Large volumes of soil and huge plants can also be big problems if you cant confidently read the plant and adjust the feed/waterings as needed. Moderate sized pots allow more control at the rootzone in my opinion in regards to watering and being able to feed or flush to correct an issue.

Big pots the plants can chase what they need. Big pots make it kind of idiot prof . I agree on the watering part

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
It does change things when people are willing to share their soil mix, methods, experiences and information (like yourself Dankwolf) haha.

CrushnYuba

I like those pots.. What did you use? Remesh, rebar and landscaping fabric?

I agree with ibechillin. Watering enormous volumes of soil can be really tricky. I think i have decided that i like my pots better then mounds or beds... I prefer a somewhat constricted root zone. 2 yards. No more then 3. Huge volumes of soil don't need to be fed as long as you don't wash them out, but small volumes are easier to water and i like the dry out periods

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
This is like having to choose between Chocolate Banana Cream pie and Boston Cream Cake!!

There are positives and negatives for both. Lots to think about over the next month. As for filling it, all we have around here is Triple Mix so I guess the beast rototiller will get a good workout.

Dankwolf

I like those pots.. What did you use? Remesh, rebar and landscaping fabric?

I agree with ibechillin. Watering enormous volumes of soil can be really tricky. I think i have decided that i like my pots better then mounds or beds... I prefer a somewhat constricted root zone. 2 yards. No more then 3. Huge volumes of soil don't need to be fed as long as you don't wash them out, but small volumes are easier to water and i like the dry out periods

I did a step by step thing to build pots in my 2018 oregon out door thread. Short answer is landscape fabric and welded wire from home cheapo . they have a 3ft x 100ft roll of welded wire for $50 at the store near me .

I went really cheap on landscape fabric and kind of regret it .

PDX Dopesmoker

The world's largest sub-irrigated planter would solve the watering problem. A 12' wide, 12" tall container filled with coco and gravel 6" deep. Put the 11' wide one in that and only water the 12' one, the 11' one is only like 12,000lbs or so, just a get a few big guys and move it. Plants will be 50% bigger than last year's that way if my personal experiment with irrigation from below last summer is any indicator.

Dankwolf

How much veg time is optimal? Mine will be 3 months when they go out.

I like 2 months and put them out just in time to flower for a few weeks and double size then reveg heal in time for a second stretch . (one reason I am able to get them,so big ) timing has to be on point though to not go through a bad reveg . all you want is the stretch with out flowers . I beluve I went over this in last years outdoor thread . I wish I would have waited a week longer to put them out last year. :tiphat:

picture.php

3 months should be fine . my only problem with long veg is the size of plants and the transplant shock . 5 and 6 foot plants are hard not to rough up during transplant .

This will be only my third-forth year trying for big plamts outside . I was a indoor guy up in till then.