What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Absolutly Beginner - DWC - 100wLed - Some problems.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Awesome, the chiller will help a lot. It's amazing to see how fast plants respond to changes in hydro. :) Good job. :)

When the pH hits 5.9, add some nutes back. It should bring the ppm back to around 600, and drop the pH. You want the pH to be about 5.4 after this.

What are your temp/RH at?

OrsoMarsicano

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The serrated edges of the leaves appear to be curling up, your light might be a little too close. [/FONT]

Hi Sign,
the LED is 45 cm (17 / 18in) cm away at 40/50% of the power, do you think the problem is the light too close? I tried to raise it up a bit.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Awesome, the chiller will help a lot. It's amazing to see how fast plants respond to changes in hydro.
smile.gif
Good job.
smile.gif

When the pH hits 5.9, add some nutes back. It should bring the ppm back to around 600, and drop the pH. You want the pH to be about 5.4 after this.

What are your temp/RH at?
[/FONT]

Thank you for your precious help.
When I took the picture the humidity was very low because in these days there is a lot of wind from the north and it is very very dry. Even the humidifier can not increase it a bit. Tomorrow the weather should change and the humidity will rise.

The temperature in the tent is 27/28 ° (80 / 82F) by day, 23/24 (73 / 75F) at night.

OrsoMarsicano

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hi Douglas.Curtis, [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I have just finished reading this guide. Very interesting.
[/FONT]https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=356394[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I had noticed that when the ec is decreased, the ph went up. Now everything is clearer to me.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]

Douglas.Curtis

Awesome! Yes, you should find DWC a lot less mysterious now. :)
At 80F by day, your humidity really should be much higher. Above 60%, I believe. I love growing in very dry conditions, when I can keep the air cool. I prefer around 70F, 25%RH.

OrsoMarsicano

Hello guys, little update.

On October 1, I switch 12/12. The plant seems to grow well, pH 5.5 / 5.8 and 600/650 and she eats around 100ppm a week.

I attach some photos:

Day 1:

Day 1 post defoliation, maybe i exaggerated to cut:

Day 4 (yesterday)

the plant is less than 10 cm tall

leafs details:

I have a question, when do I change vegetative solution to flowerig solution? Immediately?
In a week? Waiting for the stretch to finish (15 days?)

Thank you in advanced.

Hydro8

I have a question, when do I change vegetative solution to flowerig solution? Immediately?
In a week? Waiting for the stretch to finish (15 days?)

Thank you in advanced.

I usually wait 1-2 weeks after I flip, basically when I see the first flowers start forming. Usually it takes two weeks from flip so when ever I change my water closest to that.

Douglas.Curtis

Awesome :)
No dark green, no apparent deficiencies, headed for very smooth and clean burning flowers. :) There's a bit of wrinkling in the leaves though, did you let the pH hit 5.9-6.0 before dropping it back down?

OrsoMarsicano

hi douglas, thanks!! The pH is stable on 5.5 / 5.6 and more does not increase. (I measure ph and ec every day) The wrinkles you see on the leaves are accentuated by the contrast of the LED light. if I can do a photo with natural light. See you soon and thank you as always for the suggestions. :tiphat:

BlindDate

Veteran
Hey Orso....That plant looks very healthy to me. You are really going all out for only one plant by using a chiller. I think all you had to do was add a little SM-90 or similar to your bucket for insurance. Keep ph below 6 and ppm below 1000 and keep up the good work.

OrsoMarsicano

Hello BlindDate, thanks for the advice.

I bought the chiller at a low price, it was not in my shopping list.

At the moment I have little space and I take the opportunity to practice with just one plant, in the future I will increase the space. :tiphat:

Hydro8

No dark green,

Different strains have darker leaves then others many turn dark green from genetics.

I notice your theories and trouble shooting all revolve around nutes and PH. You should put strains and other factors into your thought process. You will thank yourself later.

OrsoMarsicano

Good morning and good start of the week farmers. The girl grew up and became a woman .. after 22 days from the switch and 7 days from preflowers finally I see some flowers. These days has grown a lot, every two days I had to raise the lamp 2/3 cm to always keep a distance of 30cm (12in) I'm trying to adjust with the EC .. I started from an EC of 720ppm and after 4/5 days fell to 580 ..

in the weekend I drained half solution and I have prepared a new 800ppm .. ph always stable on 5.4 /5.6 .. the water level drops about 5 liters every 5 days, one liter per day .. humidity between 50/60% day, 70% at night, maybe too high?

Some photos:

OrsoMarsicano

I'm waiting for all the stretching to end and the plant will stabilize to remove the larger sun leaves and do some light even below, what do you think? Sorry for the English, I hope you understand what I write.

Douglas.Curtis

Different strains have darker leaves then others many turn dark green from genetics.
Sorry, but in 30 years I have yet to have superior quality come out of a dark green plant. It doesn't happen. Anyone who believes dark green is quality, has not had superior quality in comparison. Case in point, in my opinion your plants are significantly too dark for my liking, with an EC too high and a pH range which is much too narrow.

You get a LOT of dark green plants from hydro growers holding a narrow pH range and organic growers over amending. It's the main reason I strongly recommend a full pH swing in the root zone. ;) Full swing means full absorption, meaning a MUCH lower nutrient strength can be used and no quality killing absorption going on all through flower. :tiphat:

Hydro8

Sorry, but in 30 years I have yet to have superior quality come out of a dark green plant. It doesn't happen. Anyone who believes dark green is quality, has not had superior quality in comparison.

Different strains get different shades of green.

You talk a lot about your experience(which is very narrowly focused on your "PH swing" theory) as being the only truth and the holy grail of all cannabis growing. We live in a big world many of us in legal states sample dozens of strains every month. we know what quality is and it can be found outside of your garden and mind.

Case in point, in my opinion your plants are significantly too dark for my liking, with an EC too high and a pH range which is much too narrow.

Case in point, right now I have two plants in the same system and nutes. I have one that is darker green and one that is lighter green. Great example of how different strains act different in the same conditions.

The nutes in the system have never got over 750ppm. You should not make assumptions from armchairs.

You limit yourself and your learning when you stick to a small window of info. Lots of factors in growing.

Douglas.Curtis

Different strains get different shades of green.
Yes, they do indeed and I never said otherwise. I'm saying none of them are a 'dark' green when they're being fed the minimum for healthy growth. Unless the pH range is too narrow, causing a need for additional nutrients.

You talk a lot about your experience(which is very narrowly focused on your "PH swing" theory) as being the only truth and the holy grail of all cannabis growing.
Actually I find it an under utilized piece of information, which directly affects quality. Love the holy grail reference. lol

We live in a big world many of us in legal states sample dozens of strains every month. we know what quality is and it can be found outside of your garden and mind.
Well, hate to break it to you but I've been to many states both legal and not. I've sourced cannabis for over 30 years from these places. I've been to many, many dispensaries and through many, many local growers. Do you know how many times I found superior grown cannabis?

Once. And it made me take a step back and take a loooong look at what everyone called 'fire' coming out of my garden. I grew better quality than any dispensary, any grower I'd come across till that point. I'll tell you what, my quality was only 'decent' in comparison. I spent 8 years figuring out how to duplicate it myself.

Do you know how many times I've come across superior quality cannabis since then? Zero. Only from my own garden. And I'm daamn sure I don't grow the best. :tiphat:

So you'll excuse me if I smile a bit when you talk about the big world. ;)

Case in point, right now I have two plants in the same system and nutes. I have one that is darker green and one that is lighter green. Great example of how different strains act different in the same conditions.
You've just given an example of why you don't run two or more strains in the same reservoir, when your goal is excellent quality cannabis. The grower's job is to read the plants and feed just enough nutrients for vigorous and healthy growth. Unless the strains both require the same amount of nutrients for this, and harvest on the same date, you're going to lower the quality of one of those strains. Regardless of their genetic 'shade' of green.

The nutes in the system have never got over 750ppm. You should not make assumptions from armchairs.
Then you're feeding too much for the light, strains and setup you have going there. I can read your plants just fine from the great photos you take. They look dark and classically overfed. Widen your experience. I've run systems with strains where 500ppm was too much for the strain I was running, and 750 almost not enough for others. The world is a big place, with many different types of genetics.

You limit yourself and your learning when you stick to a small window of info. Lots of factors in growing.
I completely agree. :D