What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kevin Jodrey's skunk project

dc2569

While I wish him luck, every single one of these rks searches/hunting ends up in a bust. IT all goes like this person says I’m going to bring back the rks, I’ve got old beans, everyone watches and all that comes of it is person searching gets attention. For me it’s gotten to the point when ever I see a rks thread, I don’t click(oxymoronic that I’m saying that in a rks thread lol) because it all ends the same.

I’m probably going way out on a limb here but did rks ever truly exist? Or is it a marketing scheme to keep people interested. When Sam talks about breeding the skunk out of the skunk I have a short circuit in my brain. It makes zero sense....too stinky, pre filter era yadda yadda. It takes the very thing for which it was named and removed it. It’s like removing the shell from a taco and still calling it a taco
It all ends in no success because in order to maintain the roadkill genotype, it must be maintained in a natural environment with sativa skunk genetics. Bottlenecked genetics arent going to give you this expression. roadkill was apparent in many commercial strains of different south american imported brick weed and is not just one strain. People searching for roadkill in afghani are not looking in the right place. If one hopes to find roadkill skunk phenos, i would suggest making a landrace in a mountainous environment, culling all non phenomenal specimens, ultimately selecting toward the skunk pheno. Only wiht this large degree of variation and environmental influence on proper sativa skunk strains will one start to see roadkill phenos. If done properly you will see these roadkill phenos expressed more frequently. this doesnt mean make a new generation every year. one may pheno hunt for 3 years without creating a new generation. only when the proper parents plural are found will you proceed to make a new generation.

dc2569

dankfrank wisdom

dankfrank wisdom

thank you dank frank for letting me know i needed the old school skunk genetics to start with. i thought i could just put a blueberry strain in the mountains and it would turn into skunk over the course of 5 plus years after naturaly reproducing. :) I am trying to be a dick but only for the sake of humor haha. I am simply implying the importance of promoting and reproducing the terroir where these skunk satvas came from originally. it tends to promote and reproduce the original roadkil terp profile.

dc2569

If it’s out there we need all the help we can get finding it. Folks been looking a long time with no luck, so I don’t think we should be complaining who might find it and capitalize. Maybe it’s held tight by some old families, but how’s that going to help the cannabis community who want to smoke or grow it?

We were getting it for a brief time in 92-93 before NL repaced it and no chemdog/sour or any other stink strain has even come close.

old families and old timers are exactly where you are going to find this strain. usually being produced in backwood secluded areas due to the funk. I myself would be much further in the production of IBL seeds in numerous quantities if it werent for the funky stinch it produces. and due to this classic cutivar being held in an illegal state deep in the backwoods. thats why im setting up shop in the good old humboldt mountains to start popping my 2017 Skunk IBL seed from select females. this will also allow me to pheno hunt more efficiently running numbers that previously took 3 to 4 seasons. I expect to find some super special gems hiding in all these numbers. especially seeing the frequency in which desirable roadkilll phenos are expressed now.

dc2569

i dont understand why everyone thinks roadkill was a single strain. i believe roadkill to be found in a number of genetics, with the most putrid fowl phenos being found in a few south american and mexican sativas. These genetics were only grown out of necessity to create a mass quantity of commercial weed in a harsh environment. This weed still had a loud fragrance even after bad curing or no cure being pressed into bails and smuggled into america sometimes after sitting in a warehouse for a few years. or under a warehouse. or in a sewer pipe to a warehouse. South American producers always changed strains to keep up with a changing market therefore seeds werent preserved. they were only kept and cherished by old school hippies that enjoyed the smoke and high.

Dc2569 I wish you the best of luck in your searches! But your posts kind of confirm to me that RKS is blanket term for stanky weed. Nearly all of the old timers I’ve known through years call everything that stinks skunk bud dead animal on the side of the road etc etc.

Siskiyou

Veteran
I am an old-timer. I came of age as a toker in Los Angeles, where I smoked every kind of brick-weed and glorious Thai. In the early eighties something new started appearing to those who were lucky enough to have the right connections and we called it "green bud" because it was noticeably less brown, less compacted, more fragrant and often stonier than any brick-weed. Some of that "green bud" smelled very strongly and very similar to the smell of an actual dead skunk on an actual highway baking in the sun. The smoke coated the mouth leaving a flavor and sensation that lingered quite long, and the stone was unlike anything we had experienced previously. People around often thought "skunk" before they thought "cannabis" when they smelled this herb. Legend that came with good green bud was that it was grown in the hills of Northern California, especially Humboldt County.
My wife remembers the outrageous aroma of truly skunky bud, and she has never been a toker. Anyone who doubts the skunkiness of that herb never experienced it. That skunkiest herb was never bricked but may have been grown from seeds that were originally in bricked Mexican or South American herb.
Many current strains have skunky notes but I haven't smelled or smoked any herb as purely skunky as what was circulating among the lucky in the 1980's.

I like Kevin Jodrey and I wish him the best.

JetLife175

Veteran
I am an old-timer. I came of age as a toker in Los Angeles, where I smoked every kind of brick-weed and glorious Thai. In the early eighties something new started appearing to those who were lucky enough to have the right connections and we called it "green bud" because it was noticeably less brown, less compacted, more fragrant and often stonier than any brick-weed. Some of that "green bud" smelled very strongly and very similar to the smell of an actual dead skunk on an actual highway baking in the sun. The smoke coated the mouth leaving a flavor and sensation that lingered quite long, and the stone was unlike anything we had experienced previously. People around often thought "skunk" before they thought "cannabis" when they smelled this herb. Legend that came with good green bud was that it was grown in the hills of Northern California, especially Humboldt County.
My wife remembers the outrageous aroma of truly skunky bud, and she has never been a toker. Anyone who doubts the skunkiness of that herb never experienced it. That skunkiest herb was never bricked but may have been grown from seeds that were originally in bricked Mexican or South American herb.
Many current strains have skunky notes but I haven't smelled or smoked any herb as purely skunky as what was circulating among the lucky in the 1980's.

I like Kevin Jodrey and I wish him the best.

LA Native myself here. I haven’t heard the term “green buds” since 1992/3 or so. Blast from the past! And yes some batches were very roadkill aside from the piney/peppery stuff that would come around. Wowsers. Trip down memory lane. Lol

P-NUT

Veteran
Hmm. There may be something to the sativa skunk thing because my first ever harvest was from brickweed seeds in a swamp. They where planted late and all except 1 died. It was only maybe 10 inches tall and had maybe an eighth on it. I cut it and put it in a ziplock and walked to my grandmothers about a half mile away. It stunk so bad I hid it in her bushes beside her house before I went in. When I walked in the very first thing she says to me is did you get sprayed by a skunk? No grandma I didnt. Well you mustve walk through where 1 spayed cuz you stink like it. Wash those britches so you dont stink up the whole house. Then my aunt got there a little later and says there must be a skunk around here cuz the front yard stinks like 1. The seeds came from some lime green bud that the dude called green bud. This wouldve been 94-95ish

dc2569

Hmm. There may be something to the sativa skunk thing because my first ever harvest was from brickweed seeds in a swamp. They where planted late and all except 1 died. It was only maybe 10 inches tall and had maybe an eighth on it. I cut it and put it in a ziplock and walked to my grandmothers about a half mile away. It stunk so bad I hid it in her bushes beside her house before I went in. When I walked in the very first thing she says to me is did you get sprayed by a skunk? No grandma I didnt. Well you mustve walk through where 1 spayed cuz you stink like it. Wash those britches so you dont stink up the whole house. Then my aunt got there a little later and says there must be a skunk around here cuz the front yard stinks like 1. The seeds came from some lime green bud that the dude called green bud. This wouldve been 94-95ish
trust your gut pnut. not saying old skunk didnt have any indica in it. every expression i have seen of the commercial skunk was mostly sativa.

Kevin is not doing this for himself. People growing bullshit like Cookies are doing it for themselves.

He's just one of many who wants loud genetics to re-emerge.

But a lot of things he says makes me wonder if he's got a good grasp on the skunk. For example, he calls it an extremely volatile compound.. Yet when I walk away for even a few days, skunk is the first smell that hits me, soaked into silicone, glass, jars, everything..

He also says there is nothing skunky today. Well maybe he needs to expand his circle, because the weed is loud and skunky as fuck in regions with no grow stores.(Midwest, South) Which is why I still grow bagseed from back home,instead of buying bullshit with half the goodies removed.

We will never see skunk without a proper understanding of bacteria. Someone needs to quantify the exudates of skunk cabbage, and the bacteria it attracts. Instead of looking for expressed genes to magically show up in giant runs. Somone said it above, growing sativa in a swamp yielded skunk. Its not complicated. Skunk cabbage smells bad ass growing in the wetlands. Half the strains on earth have the genes to express skunk when inoculated with the correct bacterial strains and correct source of fertilizers that are no longer in use. Skunk didn't vanish because of stealth. Skunk vanished because people don't use the same fertilizers, and the skunk bacteria vanished.

Funny,. people hate on Kevin, while using a site modded by alphabet operatives who sold Skunk to big pharma and busted everyone growing it over the past 20 years. Smh

G

Gr33nSanta

Kevin is not doing this for himself. People growing bullshit like Cookies are doing it for themselves.

He's just one of many who wants loud genetics to re-emerge.

But a lot of things he says makes me wonder if he's got a good grasp on the skunk. For example, he calls it an extremely volatile compound.. Yet when I walk away for even a few days, skunk is the first smell that hits me, soaked into silicone, glass, jars, everything..

He also says there is nothing skunky today. Well maybe he needs to expand his circle, because the weed is loud and skunky as fuck in regions with no grow stores.(Midwest, South) Which is why I still grow bagseed from back home,instead of buying bullshit with half the goodies removed.

We will never see skunk without a proper understanding of bacteria. Someone needs to quantify the exudates of skunk cabbage, and the bacteria it attracts. Instead of looking for expressed genes to magically show up in giant runs. Somone said it above, growing sativa in a swamp yielded skunk. Its not complicated. Skunk cabbage smells bad ass growing in the wetlands. Half the strains on earth have the genes to express skunk when inoculated with the correct bacterial strains and correct source of fertilizers that are no longer in use. Skunk didn't vanish because of stealth. Skunk vanished because people don't use the same fertilizers, and the skunk bacteria vanished.

Funny,. people hate on Kevin, while using a site modded by alphabet operatives who sold Skunk to big pharma and busted everyone growing it over the past 20 years. Smh
Guess whos gonna take a trip to the skunk cabbage patch tomorrow. Good info bud, worth a try, thanks.

30years

It’s been a minute since I’ve been here and when I popped on and saw my name I was like wtf?
A bunch of you I salute for the confirmation of my character and the intention of this project. A few of you well, lol. The internet is a hell of a drug.
The project is about digging through some of these killer old lines and digging out some heat. Not just skunk piss but all the other barkingly loud odors that come with this genetic package. I do it all the time using modern lines created by other breeders or bred by me but I didn’t realize it was going to polarize the masses so by going back into lines we really don’t run anymore to the same extent we once did. I loved these old lines and want to pull some things out I haven’t gotten to see in a while.
Nobody is getting fckd over. I’m not stealing anyone’s gear and calling it my own. I’ve always given credit where credit is due and have no plans on switching up now.
I didn’t know my accent was so brutal to listen too. ‘It’s like it’s his second language’. That’s funny. I’ll tell my partners from the old neighborhood and that will make them happy.
Best,
Kev

reppin2c

Veteran
The East coast produces the best ever....just ask em. Genes for days. Tents on tents flipping 12 plants a year son...recognize the authoriti

hoki2test

Veteran
It’s been a minute since I’ve been here and when I popped on and saw my name I was like wtf?
A bunch of you I salute for the confirmation of my character and the intention of this project. A few of you well, lol. The internet is a hell of a drug.
The project is about digging through some of these killer old lines and digging out some heat. Not just skunk piss but all the other barkingly loud odors that come with this genetic package. I do it all the time using modern lines created by other breeders or bred by me but I didn’t realize it was going to polarize the masses so by going back into lines we really don’t run anymore to the same extent we once did. I loved these old lines and want to pull some things out I haven’t gotten to see in a while.
Nobody is getting fckd over. I’m not stealing anyone’s gear and calling it my own. I’ve always given credit where credit is due and have no plans on switching up now.
I didn’t know my accent was so brutal to listen too. ‘It’s like it’s his second language’. That’s funny. I’ll tell my partners from the old neighborhood and that will make them happy.
Best,
Kev

:tiphat:My hats off to you and I have nothing but love and respect for what your doing....KEEP DOING WHAT YOUR DOING IN THE REAL WORLD!....opinons on this make believe internet mean nothing....your appreciated mate and all the knowledge you share

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
still on the hunt as well......been so since losing the real deal in '81 after bust/Aptos.......

best in efforts KJ.........

Roadkill on........

GoatCheese

Veteran
Hello..
Just for clarification, cause many old timers in US seem to think that the "skunk" in early version of Skunk#1 came from South American sativas..

According to Sam Skunkman the stink really came from the Afghan genetics he used.

Q:
[FONT=&quot]"sam...was the afghan or columbian you used really skunky as hell to begin with?"[/FONT]
The Afghan was.
-SamS
A link to the quote:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=1865299&postcount=502

Peace:)

Kushron

Good news

Good news

Best,
Kev
Thank you for the clarity sir hope your project goes well

Burt

Veteran
Inspiring videos for sure
Is anyone else skeptical about the skunk males he has from 30 years ago though? Who kept a male cloned for 30 years and why?
If I was digging, I’d naturally use a rotten meat afghani and then f2 and isolate the novel genes of the skunk