What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Something wicked this way comes

sahdgrower

Right on Blah! Ill get some good pictures together and start up a thread. I'm pretty green (no pun intended) I do pretty good outdoors but thats just because of good soil and the sun. Indoors I have been pretty hit or miss. I read your whole PPK thread and had a few observations but was a bit shy to say them since like I said im kind of a novice. Anywho the one thing I think and I was surprised D9 never mentioned was that in my mind the 1 1/2" tailpiece is just too small for the 3.5 buckets. I have a few different variations Ill show in my thread that I hope to get some feed back on. Life a little turbulent atm so may take me a day or three to get my thread started.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Right on Blah! Ill get some good pictures together and start up a thread. I'm pretty green (no pun intended) I do pretty good outdoors but thats just because of good soil and the sun. Indoors I have been pretty hit or miss. I read your whole PPK thread and had a few observations but was a bit shy to say them since like I said im kind of a novice. Anywho the one thing I think and I was surprised D9 never mentioned was that in my mind the 1 1/2" tailpiece is just too small for the 3.5 buckets. I have a few different variations Ill show in my thread that I hope to get some feed back on. Life a little turbulent atm so may take me a day or three to get my thread started.
you can use whatever you think is going to work for you but 1.5" tail pieces have worked for many, for many years.. maybe you have different 3.5 gallon buckets.

ICRSN

Delta9nxs:

In an earlier post you stated, "i just cloned the tops and flowered the bottoms on tuesday so i've got about 2 weeks to go before i can cull the males."

Were you vegging with ppk system?

Look for an easier way to sex.

-
thank you,
RSN

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Hey D, did you ever look at which size you used for the rings and how many holes in around each ring? Was it the smallest?

yep, it's 1/8". and we used 9 holes.

but since then we have altered the halos to improve distribution. i'll try to show some pics of it.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Delta9nxs:

In an earlier post you stated, "i just cloned the tops and flowered the bottoms on tuesday so i've got about 2 weeks to go before i can cull the males."

Were you vegging with ppk system?

Look for an easier way to sex.

-
thank you,
RSN

it's kind of an ass backwards way to do it but i get away with it because i don't lose clones.

i start the seedlings in solo cups like clones but when they are tall enough to take the tops off for a clone i put the rooted bottoms in flower still in the solo cups.

by the time the cuts are good and rooted the bottoms are showing sex.

everything is tracked and dated of course.

if for some reason the cut doesn't root i can re-veg the donor if i think it's important enough.

because i am ruthless about culling weak or slow plants i can whittle down a seed pack in short order so it's seldom necessary to re-veg

gmanwho

Veteran
it's kind of an ass backwards way to do it but i get away with it because i don't lose clones.

i start the seedlings in solo cups like clones but when they are tall enough to take the tops off for a clone i put the rooted bottoms in flower still in the solo cups.

by the time the cuts are good and rooted the bottoms are showing sex.

everything is tracked and dated of course.

if for some reason the cut doesn't root i can re-veg the donor if i think it's important enough.

because i am ruthless about culling weak or slow plants i can whittle down a seed pack in short order so it's seldom necessary to re-veg

i do similar.... but opposite, i keep the bottom in veg mode, while the cut goes to root in 12/12. an like u say, by the time it roots it will show sex by then. did your way before, but sucks when the cut dies an your mom is already in flower mode.

guess both ways have pros an cons.....

so how the stardawg x c99 going?

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
here is myrtle today then on the 14th at transplant.

third shot is myrtle again today.

next two are her sister, ivanka, now and the 14th

last two are different lodi dodi canopies soon to be whacked. i took these pics from above so i could get a good idea of bud distribution. the lodi dodi is filthy covered in trichs. hard, dense, uniform buds about the size of a golf ball.

Attachments

• IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0216.jpg
    IMG_0216.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0229.jpg
    IMG_0229.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0228.jpg
    IMG_0228.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0227.jpg
    IMG_0227.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0231.jpg
    IMG_0231.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0230.jpg
    IMG_0230.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 16

gmanwho

Veteran
bravo!!!

they all are very healthy... im riddled why jacks was so inconsistent for me. maybe im pushing them to hard?

th3 .66 to 1 ratio? calnit : jacks. forgive me its been a few months i forget the correct order of ratio mixxing

ro ?

whats you reflector height? wattage? average ppm or ec for the flower rooms?

lotta tops on that lodi dodi

Oysters

Lawdy Miss Clawdy, look at that Lodi Dodi.

Here's another question for our tireless pioneer: do you shoot for a particular ratio between total solution capacity in the tubs and hoses (not counting the reservoirs) and the total solution uptake by the plants in a given period? You've talked about steering the solution strength in the system by varying the res strength. I don't have an idea of how fast or slow you like the steering to take. Thanks.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
your build and plants just got me very excited lol. im getting a 750 sq ft building in 2 weeks and im gonna set up another PPK system with all the new mods! i just have a couple questions. i would like to run a couple DE setups to try out BUT i am one of the 8ft ceiling guys lol. what distance are your DE's from your plants and could it be done with scrogging and an even canopy in an 8 ft ceiling building using 3.5 gal buckets and the tuff stuff tubs?

basically what i am asking is how tall are those plants in your scrog and is there enough room to hang a DE above them in an 8 ft room lol

i might just buy one to try out, actually i have to anyways. Ive got a prototype 1000w DE CMH with my name on it that will soon be shipped to me direct from the manufacturer before they are released. as soon as it comes in i will do a full review and rundown on it.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
bravo!!!

they all are very healthy... im riddled why jacks was so inconsistent for me. maybe im pushing them to hard?

th3 .66 to 1 ratio? calnit : jacks. forgive me its been a few months i forget the correct order of ratio mixxing

ro ?

whats you reflector height? wattage? average ppm or ec for the flower rooms?

lotta tops on that lodi dodi

thanks! first i'll try to answer the easy parts.

the reflector glass is kept about 24" above the closest plant material. this is producing slightly above 1200 umol in the centers as an average.

running the ballast at 1000 watts right now but thinking about stepping them up to the super turbo nuclear setting and resetting height for about 1400 umols.

you know i have one reservoir running both veg and flower sites. i just changed out the solution at 130 days.

i re-filled with an approx 900 ppm or 1.8 ec solution ph'ed initially to 5.8 with 85% phosphoric acid.

the recirculating part first reservoir is running around 920 ppm with a ph of 6.1.

however, random individual plant pump reservoirs in both flower and veg are running about 1030 ppm so something is happening during the trip through the 7 reservoirs to cause an increase in ppm? or perhaps the entire body of solution has not blended completely yet.

we are tracking the solution daily looking for curves and tendencies.

but all plants in both veg and bloom are looking good. vegging plants growing at high speed as in inches per day. flowering plants producing big fat trichome laden buds. all on one solution.

i won't be able to reach a balance of feed concentration and plant/room demands until i get all sites filled but it looks like i'm getting close.

on the subject of feed ratios i'll get back to you later! i've got to go to work now.

Desert Hydro

Veteran

the reflector glass is kept about 24" above the closest plant material. this is producing slightly above 1200 umol in the centers as an average.

running the ballast at 1000 watts right now but thinking about stepping them up to the super turbo nuclear setting and resetting height for about 1400 umols.

you know i have one reservoir running both veg and flower sites. i just changed out the solution at 130 days.

i re-filled with an approx 900 ppm or 1.8 ec solution ph'ed initially to 5.8 with 85% phosphoric acid.

the recirculating part first reservoir is running around 920 ppm with a ph of 6.1.

however, random individual plant pump reservoirs in both flower and veg are running about 1030 ppm so something is happening during the trip through the 7 reservoirs to cause an increase in ppm? or perhaps the entire body of solution has not blended completely yet.

but all plants in both veg and bloom are looking good. vegging plants growing at high speed as in inches per day. flowering plants producing big fat trichome laden buds. all on one solution.

i won't be able to reach a balance of feed concentration and plant/room demands until i get all sites filled but it looks like i'm getting close.

on the subject of feed ratios i'll get back to you later! i've got to go to work now.

since you are running one solution from veg through bloom does that mean that they do not get flushed and do you see any ill effect from this? ive always flushed but i know there is big controversy on this subject among growers. i also run jacks and not much else. i love the stability and simplicity, not to mention the results :)

I cant wait to combine PPKs and COB LED! these pics are under ~38w COBS and only 1200w for a whole 4x8. PPK is gonna KILL IT

thanks again D9. this will be my 3rd PPK system, and biggest one to date :) looking to do about 15-20 sites depending on what will fit in my 750 sqft(minus veg area) i think my dimensions are 35x22 with a small bathroom cutting into floor space in the back corner.

Attachments

• IMG_1944.JPG
    IMG_1944.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1955.JPG
    IMG_1955.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1954.JPG
    IMG_1954.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1958.JPG
    IMG_1958.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 20

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran

on the subject of feed ratios i'll get back to you later! i've got to go to work now.[/quote
I've been running jacks+CN at 600ppms (1:.64) since your first PPK thread started. My first PPK run was in 5gallon buckets stacked w 1.5" tail-piece as the wick.. harvests were big, averaging 6-8Zs / plant with 600w. but yield has decreased as my system has been updated over the years.. different strains and tubing adjustments are leading me to believe (and you will tell me if I'm way off base:tiphat:) that the lower PPMs realized in each PPK rez is being caused by larger tubing connecting each piece of the system passing more lower PPM juice thru to each component. it now looks more like this: 600>650>700>850
In the beginning, you (and I) used tire valves, 1/4" hose and allot of goop. That has grown to garden hose sized 'tubing' connecting the system parts.. I used to get PPM readings like this w 1/4" tubing then: 600ppms in volume rez, 700ppms in the control rez, pump rez was 850ish ppms and individual PPK rezs' were in the 1000+PPM arena.. possible that the larger hose passes more 600ppm juice than the 1/4" hose and that larger volume keeps the PPMs more diluted thru out the system.. eg. you are now putting in higher, 900ppms, initially to gain the 1000+ppms in the ppk rez..

hoping you can follow that gibberish but it boils down to this... I'm going back to smaller hose in my smaller system and sticking to 600PPMs initially.

your larger garden hose thru smaller hole, eliminating the tire valve/electrical connections (yeah!) should also work for 3/8" tubing thru a 11/32" hole and should be just as water tight...

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Lawdy Miss Clawdy, look at that Lodi Dodi.

Here's another question for our tireless pioneer: do you shoot for a particular ratio between total solution capacity in the tubs and hoses (not counting the reservoirs) and the total solution uptake by the plants in a given period? You've talked about steering the solution strength in the system by varying the res strength. I don't have an idea of how fast or slow you like the steering to take. Thanks.

no set ratio. but the greater the capacity in relation to plant mass the slower chemical changes occur in the solution and the longer you can go between changeouts.

and you have more time to observe and correct possible problems.

if i had more space i would install a huge tank.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
your build and plants just got me very excited lol. im getting a 750 sq ft building in 2 weeks and im gonna set up another PPK system with all the new mods! i just have a couple questions. i would like to run a couple DE setups to try out BUT i am one of the 8ft ceiling guys lol. what distance are your DE's from your plants and could it be done with scrogging and an even canopy in an 8 ft ceiling building using 3.5 gal buckets and the tuff stuff tubs?

basically what i am asking is how tall are those plants in your scrog and is there enough room to hang a DE above them in an 8 ft room lol

i might just buy one to try out, actually i have to anyways. Ive got a prototype 1000w DE CMH with my name on it that will soon be shipped to me direct from the manufacturer before they are released. as soon as it comes in i will do a full review and rundown on it.

my screens are 42" off the floor. if you could keep the plant material less than about 6-8" above that i think you could do it with these ac/de fixtures because the glass shields the plant from significant heat.

i tried them glass off and glass on and there was a huge difference at plant top level so i put them back on.

i don't know how an unshielded fixture might work.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
since you are running one solution from veg through bloom does that mean that they do not get flushed and do you see any ill effect from this? ive always flushed but i know there is big controversy on this subject among growers. i also run jacks and not much else. i love the stability and simplicity, not to mention the results :)

I cant wait to combine PPKs and COB LED! these pics are under ~38w COBS and only 1200w for a whole 4x8. PPK is gonna KILL IT

thanks again D9. this will be my 3rd PPK system, and biggest one to date :) looking to do about 15-20 sites depending on what will fit in my 750 sqft(minus veg area) i think my dimensions are 35x22 with a small bathroom cutting into floor space in the back corner.

no, i don't flush but i keep the concentration as low as possible.

i don't believe that you can mass flush nutrients out of a plant. i think you can flush the medium a plant is in of accumulated excess salts but in a ppk the nutrient salt build up doesn't occur so this isn't an issue.

nice buds!