What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

McPpk

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Going to chronicle my '15 summer run of mmj. I'm very new so my set up isn't perfect, especially my procedure for starting seeds but I'm getting there. If you followed my build thread you know what it took to get this far, so everything else is incremental.

First attempt went very well and I've not had to go to the black market for mmj since starting growing.

my room is a 5x6x10 which adjoins to a 3x4x~8 area. Using a single epap fixture and, of course, going to use a PPK system newly built this spring.

Last edited:

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
PPK Link-O-Rama

PPK Link-O-Rama

I reserved this page when i first started my McPpk journal. I think this may be a good use of the space now. I'm going to use this page for my benefit but anyone can enjoy it also. Blessings in advance if you want to link to it or suggest it to others. Often times people are asking for PPK help or anxious posters writing things like like "I don't have time to read..." fill in the rest. Well to the first group, I say welcome to McKush's PPK Link-O-Rama! Read on dear fellow. To the last group I have to be honest and tell you there is no short cut to knowledge, it is always earned somehow. You need to do the work just like everyone else has. We can't put fully formed ideas in your head from the comfort of our bucket seats with this interwebby thing you see. Read on dear fellow.

You cannot search three letter acronyms on ICMAG but you can:

Search Google: "PPK Site:ICMAG.com"

Search ICMAG: https://www.icmag.com/modules/Find_T...hp?stext=PPK

(Last link will not work since it has too few characters for IC. Here for template copy only.)

The above search will yield you lots of hits of PPK threads and any one who mentions PPK in a post. I've compiled the listing of threads that have PPK in their title below and am updating the list when i find PPK related threads using other terms, like, say, passive plant killer. Its not a complete list but I list them in order of their creation date from latest as of the Edit date to the oldest thread, the one by delta9nxs (AKA, D, D9, delta, delta9, and the always clever, delta9nxs) that started it all. If there are other PPK relevant threads or links I may have missed and you wish to put on this list then PM me or make a post on this thread and I'll add it. No complaining though, remember rule number 1, don't be a dick on my thread, ya, that's right you got it brother. Compliments always appreciated but pissing on my thread isn't so please, if you don't like the list, don't use it. Just scram, I don't need to know and neither do my fellow readers and lovers of all things PPK. Kind suggestions for corrections are always très cool so please advise if i get anything wrong.

With utmost respect, ah hmm, all due Honors, Rites, and Privileges are given to his PPKness, D9 for all the years and persistence he spent fiddling with his concept which he named Passive Plant Killer or what we commonly say; PPK. Fequent contributor Miraculous Meds describes it this way;

"PPK, passive plant killer. A sarcastic play of words for a system that started out passive, n easy way of growing healthy, large plants. Its since been tweaked n developed a thousand times over to what its evolved into today.

A recirculating system, that shares a wick system. Thus u don't ever dry out the roots n die from pump failures or under watering. It features a reduced pwt, due to the hydraulic effect of the wick/drain system in the right medium. Another of the huge benefits is that u get fast rdwc like growth, while keeping the roots in a medium, safe from water born disease like pythium that ravage water grown roots. No more worrying about water temps like in rdwc, where u have to compensate by a cooler room or running a water chiller. Also no need for added o2 from air pumps/stones, etc... So in essence u have the performance of rdwc, with the safety of roots grown in a medium. A kind of blend of the best of both worlds."
*----------------------------

The Original Thinker delta9nxs' threads:

plants in ppk's delta9nxs 20141215

a ppk for a 6 plant limit delta9nxs 20140829

big plant ppk delta9nxs 20130219

a Demonic Deluge 20121220

a wicked pulse delta9nxs 20120707

passive plant killer delta9nxs 20090923

Put your PPK plant pics here:

Chronological listing of ICMAG PPK threads listed in latest to newest creation date:

"Mini PPK Grow" - Jacks 15-12-26 - Coco/Perlite
Ravenboy 20160903

GorillaBubble bx2 - PPKed Snook 20160823

Pressing PPK Questions Transpir3 20160721

Latest on PPK Method? MPL 20160621

Blah's First Ppk Mr Blah 20160410

Multi-Room PPK vs Coco DTW with Doser Injection RamCTD1027 20160320

PPK simplified 420Alaska 20160318

Glob's Grow: 6-plant PPK, 600w + 400w stack + screens, MBS x [CGxC99] + MBS x MBSO Globule 20160229

ppk maintenance question 420ish 20160227

PPK - Another variation Snook 20160204

A good alternative for Turface in PPK setup 420Alaska 20151012

Harvest Large Herb Lounge HL45 20150916

6-plant PPK : 400w-MH +600w-HPS stack Globule 20150913

McPpk McKush 20150504

Mini PPK Full Build Tutorial with Pics Rocketman64 20150204

PPK - 2 gallon ina tent Snook 20150102

Large scale PPK system Desert Hydro 20141207

" Land Of A Thousand Colas !!! Multi room PPK 26K " Gmanwho 20161127

Frosted Flowers from 7 Females - PPK FlowerFarmer 20141104

av8or's PPK - First Grow av8or 20141019

RDWC or PPK? Have you tried both? twist1uc 20140824

a ppk for a 6 plant limit delta9nxs 20140829

Springtails in PPK experiment.. ayekay 20140619

nuthin but a g thang- ppk expiriment lilac.rain 20140610

ppk setup pics macdiesel 20140416

Drastic PH acidity - R/O Water - PPK - TerpeneTom 20140322

PPK staring Grateful Casey and friends hotboxes 20140131

My ppk - wcsd - rsk bayarea925 20140107

Mini PPK system with pics of setup Rocketman64 20131120

PPK vert 4 plant 5 light grow show and DIY, 3400w, CO2 Desert Hydro 20130823

3550w perlite/coco PPK 3rd attempt farmari 20130606

Questions for the PPK people, especially D9NXS Ghudda 20130417

Farmer's Funky Flower Trees - PPK FlowerFarmer 20130227

Noobin up a PPK DaveTheNewbie 20130224

big plant ppk delta9nxs 20130219

PPK down... Smart pot mold... DamnUglyDogE 20130127

~Cannafornia Style~◆Area51~Kiddie Pool PPK◆VERT~Evolution~ DamnUglyDogE 20130122

Area51 PPK-300 LED-430 HPS-Coco-Multi Strain Evolution... DamnUglyDogE 20121222

Doc Crow's Medicine Cabinet. 420 W CFL powered Perpetual Micro SOG PPK DocCrow 20121105

IDIOT's GUIDE TO PPK workman 20121031

3K ~ PPK zeke99 20121007

OldOne's 4th cab run - PPK/PLL and a mystery clone oldone 20120920

a wicked pulse delta9nxs 20120707

HL45.PPK.1.0 17lightsx2 Sealed with Co2 high life 45 20120407

ImaginaryFriend's INTERPRETATION of Delta9nxs' PASSIVE PLANT KILLERS ImaginaryFriend 20100917

passive plant killer delta9nxs 20090923

Last edited:

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here im laying out the sites. This was the best i could come up with given my rooms layout. Wished I would have ran the 12" air exhaust to the lung room up top. I may change that next fall.

picture.php

here is where I'll put the res.

picture.php

build pics

that is a 4" hole saw BTW. the perfect size for 3" toilet flange ppk

picture.php

picture.php

checking the fit, don't mount it this way

picture.php

Last edited:

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
place the 3" toilet flange like this and drill your holes being careful to keep them lined up by inserting a bolt after every hole is drilled. drill in a star pattern. The tub has a ring on the bottom which is perfect size to just fit around the toilet flange. i used a drill bit slightly smaller than the 1/4" ss threaded bolts. the bolts self threaded them selves and I kept care to always tighten and untighten them with a socket or wrench. i wanted to get and keep as tight a fit as possible. all the hardware is ss.

picture.php

caution - do *not* use this orientation for drilling holes. it is backwards. believe me i was buzzed, i studied this thing long and hard before i made the first hole. although pretty buzzed I can keep it together in a pinch. anyway, don't do it like below. its wrong.

picture.php

this is the first site less the wick which i'll get to in a while. i built one nearly to completion and then built the other three when i had convinced myself the first one would do.

picture.php

1/4 x 20 stainless steel hardware. don't overtighten it. Also, i smeared some clear silicone on the flange and tub prior to connecting them just to be anal.

picture.php

Last edited:

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
station break, this is a Sweet Seeds Black Cream from last years run.

picture.php

This is the completed set. for the wick I measured and then cut 3" pvc so that it stopped about 2" from the bottom of the lowes bucket. then I used some stainless o-clamps and some screen for the bottom of the wick.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
first attempt at feed lines using 1/2" plastic and my old pump from my last system.
picture.php

didn't work...

so i got 3/4" garden hose and a 1/6hp 3000gph sump pump

I'm going to refer to the positions as 1 thru 4. going clockwise from the lower left. This way I can keep track of the yield by strain and location in the room. in case that matters. don't really think it does.

I could do a nice vertical in this room, the 10' high walls are screaming for it. I wouldn't be able to use 1.5 of those walls tho. still it would be bitchin. maybe someday.

picture.php

picture.php

i may have to put valves on each of the lines but right now just have a single valve to adjust overall rate

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
looking towards sump.

picture.php

picture.php

The grey tub is a 10gal res and the main res is a 31gal. With the four sites and the res it is very close to a 50gal system.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I wish I had that kinda space. your control/pulse rez is 10 gallon tub.. you cant run 10 gallons of nutes or you will not maintain 'the gap' required.. ??? 3"-4"? 4 sites x wave pulse (2 gallonx4 is 8 gallons)

I just did similar but smaller and my pulse rez was too small...had to switch to bigger control rez to be able able to give a good 'pulse' without running out of nutes in the pulse rez. plan ahead and good luck..

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey snook thx for dropping in.
The 10gal sits atop the 31gal. 10 gal Is for stock replenishment. Each site sits on a 3 legged tripod base so they can all be the same level or u can raise n lower them individually.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Hey snook thx for dropping in.
The 10gal sits atop the 31gal. 10 gal Is for stock replenishment. Each site sits on a 3 legged tripod base so they can all be the same level or u can raise n lower them individually.

so your volume rez is 10 gallons and the pulse/control rez is 31 gallons? in my set up: 71 gallon volume (stock replenishment) and 3.5 gallon control and pulse rezs' (6-7gsallons). If I go away for a week or two, i'm liking 30-40 gallons of 'juice' on hand for them in the control rez always having more supply.. if your 10 gallons runs out, for whatever reason, it will change the 'gap' in the ppks. and once you get the 'gap' amount issue sorted out with the float valve, why would you need to raise or lower the PPK? is the floor uneven?

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yah, i built it to slope to a drain that runs into a sump basen. Thats why they all sit on tripod bases and if you notice two lines run underneath the last site. Thats how much of an angle I built in. When I first built it I intended to tile the floor, ran out of steam and desire to tile the floor though.

I put a 10gal on top of the pulse/control/rez because that was all that would fit and allow me to put the floor/lid back down. But I can put any size volume tank either in my lung room or in the floor room on top of the ledge. Only problem with locating a stock tank on the ledge is that it would then be sitting atop the access door (ie part of the ledge floor) to the pulse/control/rez and the light directly warming up the tank.

I expect that a 10gal volume tank won't last a week but this is a starting point. I haven't run it yet so no idea how much water 4 plants will consume per day in flower.

i built a couple of shelves for starting and vegging but I've not quite decided what I'm going to do to separate this veg area from the flower area. Probably just going to use some orca and curtain off the veg shelving.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
yah, i built it to slope to a drain that runs into a sump basen. Thats why they all sit on tripod bases and if you notice two lines run underneath the last site. Thats how much of an angle I built in. When I first built it I intended to tile the floor, ran out of steam and desire to tile the floor though.

I put a 10gal on top of the pulse/control/rez because that was all that would fit and allow me to put the floor/lid back down. But I can put any size volume tank either in my lung room or in the floor room on top of the ledge. Only problem with locating a stock tank on the ledge is that it would then be sitting atop the access door (ie part of the ledge floor) to the pulse/control/rez and the light directly warming up the tank.

I expect that a 10gal volume tank won't last a week but this is a starting point. I haven't run it yet so no idea how much water 4 plants will consume per day in flower.

i built a couple of shelves for starting and vegging but I've not quite decided what I'm going to do to separate this veg area from the flower area. Probably just going to use some orca and curtain off the veg shelving.

4 plants ??? right now, 4 plants, day 24 bloom, i'm adding 13 gallons a week (600w)... soon it will be 17-18 gallons a week, temps 75*F day, 70*F night, RH 55%-60%... be sure to light proof the 'wall' whatever it is from the bloom area..

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking good, brother! Can't wait to see how this run goes for ya. Good luck!!

Hey brother, thanks for your words av8or. I think i might be in for a rocky road till i get this new system figured out.

But no matter its the ride that counts.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi D9, thanks man! hopin you would drop in. props for tinkering with this shit. the 3" toilet flange fits inside the raised rim on the bottom of the tub with maybe 1/16" or less gap. Just right, like they were made for each other.

i haven't exactly thought how i'm going from the starter pots to the big tubs yet. have you worked out a general rule of thumb for how big to get them to the point where they can be transplanted? i realize you probably grow mostly from clowns.

I'm growing from seed. so i started em in root riots then put them into solo cups with napa 8822. then since i've upplanted 3 of them to larger pots maybe quart size. i got 2 still in solo cups waiting to be upplanted. so i've got 5 starts for ultimately 4 slots to grow out.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
my initial attempts at germing some barney farms seeds did not go well. long story short I cooked em.

picture.php

i got one herbies freebie delicious cotton candy to germ out of i bet a dozen barney farms. Its all me though, my temps got too high and I think it just got too warm for them.

pretty fricken expensive lesson. I struggle with the easy shit.

picture.php

picture.php

it was cold initially so i moved the heater closer and that lamp didn't help things

picture.php

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
another shot looking towards the control res.

picture.php

left to right,

herbies freebie cotton candy (CC)
samsara green love potion (GLP)
(bottom) samara spicy white devil (SWD)
(top) barneys farm critical kush (CK2) or a liberty haze (LH), but likely the kush... lol
(bottom right) barneys farm critical kush (CK)

picture.php

top view some time later, around 4/22

picture.php

overall i have been having issues with deformities. it is across many strands so it is something i am/was doing.

this is the cotton candy (CC), the main shoot just deformed and it self topped itself early. not sure what the hell happend

picture.php

it just went cabbage head on me. roll with it says i. from this point on the laterals really started to shoot out, inspires me to eventually train it some

picture.php

Last edited:

av8or

Brother McKush! It's coming along nicely. I attempted a cotton candy that completely failed, so you're doing better than I did!